Conrail Days at Strasburg.
Me and my girlfriend went up to Strasburg today for Conrail Days. I was a little disappointed as most of the stuff was only being set up today, and unfortunately i couldn't go on Saturday. None of the visiting equipment was opened, and only the GP30 and GP9 had tours. Maybe next year i can stop in and get a better look at things. the one layout that was set up was pretty cool. the Reading and Conrail Historical societies were also cool, yet i could not find anyone with the answers to my bizarre questions on Reading Silverliners and Conrail electrics. looks like I'll have to keep hitting the books.

I did take some pictures though, so hopefully others who do go might fill this thread in with cool stuff. Also picked up a cool "reading" patch-job shirt with the CR over a reading Diamond.

The Strasburg railroad's SW pulled the two visiting NS engines in sometime around three.

[Image: 52110strasburgconrailda.jpg]

You should have heard the moaning and groaning of the track! i thought maybe the six axles of the SD40E was the case, but i watched as little puffs erupted from beneath the tracks. the weight of these heavy engines was cracking the ballast!

the "BP4" battery powered unit-

the SD40E. looks like an SD50 rebuild, and i'm sure the "E" is for environmental. no tours were offered, so i guess I'll find out from someone here.

You all know i loved this

I had some other photos, but nothing particularly exciting. it was an alright day!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
PS, if anyone DOES go to strasburg, please get photos of the electrified portion of their layout "under construction", i forgot to get those while i was there! try and get clear shots of their switches and crossovers, i need visuals!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Looks great -- excellent shots !

My family & I visited Strasburg during the summer of 2007 and really enjoyed it. I think it's great that they're having themed weekends featuring CSX and its diesels. I'm basically a steam fan (which is why I like the Strasburg RR so much) but those huge diesels also look pretty cool at their site.

I'd return to Strasburg in a heartbeat but it likely won't be for a few years, as it's a 6- to 8-hour drive from Toronto -- travelling with kids adds extra time Smile

So I'm looking forward to more pics on this thread!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Darn it! I was just up there, didn't know about Conrail weekend. I go to the Strasburg prolly 3 times each year. Everytime I go to PA I make an excuse to go there, and my wife LOVES it. Next time I go I will have to pay special attention to the layout, I didn't even notice the catenary project last time I was there.
-Dave
Well - I went up at night - for the night photo shoot. really REALLY cool!!! I would have Loved being there to see the "moves" though Sad

That 4th pic - with everyone standing and watcing the engine move by????

I was there at night when the caboose was sitting there Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
and this is what the 999 looks like at night Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The rest of the museum was closed, so i didn't take any layout pics....

But we did get to have "posed" shots in front of the Conrail GP30 Smile Smile Smile

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Keep those pics coming guys !

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:the SD40E. looks like an SD50 rebuild, and i'm sure the "E" is for environmental. no tours were offered, so i guess I'll find out from someone here.

The sd50 engines had reliability issues since they were horsepower uprated sd40-2 645's, NS just took the time to rebuild them into something more road worthy, I've heard around that NS has been short on power recently.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Here you are Tom....

one Just For You!!!!!!!!! Goldth Goldth Goldth Goldth

I just noticed the "engineer" looking out at me Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

unmolested blue [Image: drool.gif]
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
........... it was a really Fun Night!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Ok - Last one... here's the crane Smile Smile Smile

It can be seen to the left in that same "fourth picture" during the day Big Grin

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Tom I keep trying to tell you, that blue is too light
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Lester Perry Wrote:Tom I keep trying to tell you, that blue is too light
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

I like Tuscan Red and Brunswick Green better anyway.. Eek Eek

.......... but then - People keep saying "I'm showing my age" when i say silly things like that!!
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

It is a shame that they used the wrong font for the Conrail on the GP30. Being restored at Juniata by NS you would have thought those ex-Conrail guys would have gotten it right!
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:It is a shame that they used the wrong font for the Conrail on the GP30. Being restored at Juniata by NS you would have thought those ex-Conrail guys would have gotten it right!

Icon_lol And just to think they are "professional" railroad shop men.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!