picture question
The only stupid question is the one not asked. That's what I'm told. However, I have a question that borders on stupid.

When I scan a picture, it goes to 'MY SCANS" in documents. The problem is, it comes out PDF. The only items I seem to be able to control are JPG. I don't know what all that is, but can I change a PDF to JPG? I have not had this problem before, that I know of. Maybe it is the scanner that is running things different. It is an HP deskjet F4480, 3-in-1, if that helps

If anybody knows and answers this, do it VERY SIMPLE, please.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
I've not done it in quite some time but I thought that in the software installed on my computer, my scanner requested a default file type for scans. Also, if you've got Adobe Photoshop, it will convert a pdf into a jpg as well.
yellowlynn, go to scanning preferences and find the setting for file type. You should be able to change to jpg format there.
PDF files are Adobe files, and their programs can change them to JPEG's if you have one. Photoshop Elements is a low priced program that is sometimes bundled with scanners and cameras.
Charlie
I went to control panel, scanner, and it had BMP at one place so I changed it to JPG, but it kept asking for a "profile name". What is that?

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Also, it shows file type as JPG. I can't understand why pics come out PDF and I can't edit or do anything to them

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
Lynn, PDF is a proprietary file form owned by Adobe, that only works with their software. There may be freeware programs, but you don't need to get more involved learning another program.
A profile name is atitle for a set up for your scanner that you have made. call it lynns profile, and select it when you scan, if that is the one you have changed to jpg output. That way you don't have to keep changing the settings, just change the profile
Charlie
I want to thank everyone for your help. Somehow, somewhere, somewhich, or whatever, there was an HP program that I uncovered that is supposed to be used for scanning. By going to it rather than the scanner itself, everything came out JPG.

The people that dream up these contraptions must stay awake at night, trying to figure out new ways to completely screw up my (mind?). Anyway, now I can post pictures again.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
My scanner software installed itself in Spanish and none o my re-installs will change that and I don't know enough Spanish to get into the change menus. At least I can remember a couple of the basic operations.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David....If you care to, send those instructions and I'll get you a proper translation into English.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).