Another Miami Layout
You're done with the track???

Man, you are moving some kinda FAST!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Well I am building a small layout, just 5 turnouts and some flextrack, the main reason I made some much progress is that it is summer and there is no school for me, although that will change in a couple of weeks :cry: .
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Alright! Cheers

Now operate, operate and operate some more in order to iron out all the kinks before the scenery work begins. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Run every engine and piece of rolling stock on the layout both ways, keeping a log of what derails where (hopefully it'll be a short list) and really work out the 'bugs' now 357

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I just ran an engine across the entire layout without any derailments! 1990_dancing
I did have a problem though, I had to press down on the throwbar on the switches to get power to the engine, will installing ground throws get rid of this?

Here is a picture of the area I just finished:[Image: HPIM4384.jpg?t=1280879312]
As you can see, I will need to replace some of the ties that came off, but other than that I had no other problems.

I also took some pictures of the layout I bought at my local hobby store, I am keeping it outside for now until I decide what to do with it, I am either going to keep it in the garage, or I am going to take it apart and make a new layout with the parts, I can't belive I got all this for $73.00 (Cat not included)
[Image: HPIM4386.jpg?t=1280879508]
[Image: HPIM4385.jpg?t=1280879525]
Justin Miller
Quote:I can't belive I got all this for $73.00

I can, and I bet I'm not the only one. Some of the track you purchased looks to be steel rail. After having spent a great deal of time experimenting with steel rail to see how I could keep it clean, I gave up. You may have better luck.

Same goes for the brass track. It will clean better and stay shiny longer than the steel, but not by much, It was the standard for years and many folks still swear by it's ability to provide better grip for loco wheels, but nickel silver has become the new standard for good reasons.

I'd say have fun with it and if you enjoy it, then awesome. Personally, I'd strip it down and salvage what NS track there is then use the rest for scenic purposes (or round file it). The turntable can be a nice starting point for a kitbash project, and the bridge looks to be usable as well.

As for the turnout question, you may need to solder jumpers from the point rails to the stock rails. Clean and tin each surface first so that the time you actually keep the soldering iron on the rail is minimal. Melting ties on straight or curved track is easier to repair than warped turnout ties. You can't always rely on a mechanical connection to make good electrical contact. Solder is hard to beat.

Galen
The only steel track on the layout is the black roadbed EZ-track, which I do not plan on using, there are only a few brass turnouts, but most of the track is nickel-silver, I still got a pretty good deal, since I do not plan on making this layout very realistic, I plan on using it to practice scenery, but mainly I want a laoyut with continuous running, but still have enough switching to keep me occupied.

About the turnouts on my current layout, I installed a ground throw on the switch that was giving me the most trouble, it seemed to have fixed the problem, it was just that the switch wasn't getting electrical contact.
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:The only steel track on the layout is the black roadbed EZ-track, which I do not plan on using, there are only a few brass turnouts, but most of the track is nickel-silver, I still got a pretty good deal, since I do not plan on making this layout very realistic, I plan on using it to practice scenery, but mainly I want a laoyut with continuous running, but still have enough switching to keep me occupied.

About the turnouts on my current layout, I installed a ground throw on the switch that was giving me the most trouble, it seemed to have fixed the problem, it was just that the switch wasn't getting electrical contact.

It's only a good deal if you enjoy it and make good use of it, which it sounds like you will. Will you strip away the existing scenery before adding your own?

The ground throw may solve the problem for a while, but once oxidation and dust creeps into the points and hinges, it may not. I'd strongly recommend you solder tiny little jumper wires between the point rails and stock rails. It doesn't take long and could save you hours of heartache and frustration later. It's what I plan to do with all of my turnouts. Trouble free trackwork is a joy to operate and a source of pride. Having to make excuses for visitors and nudge stalled locos just ain't fun. A word to the wise is sufficient.

Galen
I think I will take all of the track off of the layout I bought and start fresh, for a layout that size it dosen't have any switching, the person who made it must of really liked to run trains due to the 4-track mainline Eek . The person who made it combined a 5x8, and a 4x7 sheet of plywood to make the layout, he also built the benchwork to withstand an earth quake, he placed a 2x6 every few inches underneath Nope . I am thinking of building a modified version of the "California and comstock" layout from the june 2007 issue of Model Railroader, I like the plan since it has nice scenery, some switching, a small yard, and a turntable.

About those switches, I will have to try putting in those feeder wires, there is nothing more embarrassing then showing off a layout and then realizing that the engine won't run Curse .
Justin Miller
Here is the Track-plan for the layout I will be building in a few months using pieces from the layout I bought.
[Image: CaliforniaOregonRR.jpg?t=1281220452]

I have included things to entertain me whatever my wants are, I have continuous running for those days I just want to run trains, I have easy and hard switching puzzles, and I have a Freight yard for sorting cars.

There are some thing in this plan I need the clarify, yes there is a switchback required to get to the bottom part of the layout, This was intentional as is makes it take longer to get between the two towns, extending the layout in operational terms. Second the Timsaver I have included is much less of a switching "Puzzle" than the original, the branch-line gives added operating room, and the object is to gather and replace freight cars, rather than rearrange them like in the original.

I will be building it modular with the 4x6, timesaver, and freight yard being the separate parts.
Justin Miller
your going to need to cahnge the name of the thread to AN EXCITING WEST COAST LAYOUT

Two things...

Why not add a wye to connect to the SP interchange?

Most RIP tracks are not on off turtables maybe add a switch before the turtable leading to a RIP track
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I will be starting another thread for this layout once it gets started Perhaps "Another West Coast Layout" Icon_lol

To answer yours questions:
1. I don't want to add a wye because I don't want to have to do all of the wiring, Nope
2. I know its just that I want to keep the yard from being cluttered, so a rip track off the turntable seems to be feasible.
Justin Miller
I'm thinking the deal is ...

If a piece of rolling stock needs to spend some time at the RIP track, it very well may not be in the kind of condition that would permit it to easily traverse the turntable, and the last thing a railroad would want is to have the turntable tied up but some derelict piece of rolling stock trying to make it to the RIP track! Nope
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I got another Idea!

I was looking through the December 1996 issue of MRR, when on page 132 I saw a layout that fit my situation perfectly, This layout is about the same size of my room, and it was built so the room could still be used as a bedroom, and guess who the layout builder was, Once again I was inspired by Lance Mindheim.

The layout featured in this article was the Ho-scale Monon Limestone Region, The layout looks great, and because the layout was built 70" above ground, the operator get the feeling of being a railfan which is one of my favorite things about model railroading. I'm pretty sure I want to use his design as a template for my own, I am thinking of building a small coal Carrier railroad similar to the Haysi railroad which was a terminal railroad for the L&N( I am pretty sure). I will post a track-plan later of what I am going to do but if anybody has the Dec 1996 issue of Mrr, pleas share your thoughts on the design.
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:(...) I am thinking of building a small coal Carrier railroad similar to the Haysi railroad which was a terminal railroad for the L&N( I am pretty sure).
Justin;
They Haysi Railroad was a branch off the Clinchfield Railroad, but an interesting operation to say the least. Here is a link to a page with photos of their equipment and tipples located on the branch...
http://clinchfieldcountry.com/photos/haysi.htm
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ah... the Clichfield, that's what I thought it was but Wikipedia says it was owned by SCL and the L&N, That's the last time I ever trust Wikipedia Curse

I am not set on a coal hauler though, I am also thinking of doing a branch-line of the Frisco or the SOO line. If anybody has info on any locations that would be interesting to model please share! Goldth
Justin Miller