Start of a kit-bash project
What is it with Bachmann and narrow gauge coupler heights? Their G scale Big Haulers are notorious for this as well - the couplers are nearly down at railhead level! Their standard gauge HO stuff doesn't have this problem. Whatever could they be thinking?

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Bachmann managed to mess up the NEM standard coupling on their British stock. This is used by Kadees 17-20; the coupler just pulls out and the new one pushes in. There are a number of European couplings using this system.
But B'mann managed to get the pockets at 3 different heights on the British stock and make couplings with cranks in them (flat and 2 offsets) to accommodate them. But no-one else makes cranked NEM shanks. So the easy interchange function is totally frustrated. (There was some argument that there was no standard height because the cars were OO scale.)
(Who was the computer guy who said "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them."?)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Sorry all about the lack of progress, still thinking of doing a transition car so my only On30 set will be unaltered and can still run my kitbashed cars as well. Some where is a spec sheet I found online that lists coupler height and minimum radius for a lot of the current production On30 stuff. I thought it would be useful later on down the road, now if I could find the print out I had. 35 Icon_lol will continue to add trucks and couplers to the box cars and stock cars. Still not sure what to do with the cabooses yet.
Well went to the NMRA site and looked under the standards and recomended practices and found that for On30 calls for HO couplers and the same height from rail to coupler as HO where as On3 sits a bit higher 35 790_smiley_picking_a_fight 35

here is a link to the standards for couplers

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf...010.07.pdf

Do why is the kadee On30 height gauge sold with an On3 coupler? :?
Hi all,

The On30 project has been put on a back burner for awhile yet partly due to other things of more importance and also befuddled as my next step in solving the mismatch of coupler heights. Will make an adaptor car of some sort more than likely. I have most of the coupler and trucks to finish the box cars and will start lettering with dry transfers as soon as I come up with a cool name for a narrow gauge railroad the only one have so far is the Hosed & Bustakated which kinda fits these trains history as starting out as defective cheap battery op toy sets. Icon_lol
That's as original a name for a RR as I've ever heard...!!!! 357
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:That's as original a name for a RR as I've ever heard...!!!! 357

Those were real "technical" terms I have picked up over the years working in the electronics field.

Will get around to getting the flyer layout started soon I hope, The author of the book from which the plan I am going to use is on the the S-Trains yahoo group found that out the other day as he replied to a post I had made 8-)
Not to hijack your thread (well, maybe a little bit... Goldth ), I picked up this beauty on the Bay a couple of days back....

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
Hi all,

Have not done much lately other than work around the house and yard but will pick back up where I left off soon. My On30 bash has not been abandoned just put off to the side for a while. May start up when the weather cools off a bit more too much grass to mow and too much garden to weed and water.

Steamtrains, Nice S gauge car Thumbsup

Will post more pics of progress as the project progresses.
Well this is very little progress, but it is a sneak peek of what the cabooses will look like when I attach the trucks(On30) The H&B will be replaced with an H&H for the Hayseed and Hicksville, the name came to me as I was watching jeopardy one of the answers hayseed and hick--being of appalachian decent and having relatives whose name is Hicks it seemed like a rustic place name for a railroad Icon_lol

As close coupled as those trucks are, I'm thinking that caboose should be a bobber. It would look better as a 4 wheel caboose rather than having a pair of trucks. Since you are doing narrow gauge, a bobber would be appropriate.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:As close coupled as those trucks are, I'm thinking that caboose should be a bobber. It would look better as a 4 wheel caboose rather than having a pair of trucks. Since you are doing narrow gauge, a bobber would be appropriate.

If you also notice the hand rails are too thick and bright yellow, it is also an issue to be addressed along with the wheels. Not sure if I want to use one of the trucks I have or scratch buid one with a little more length between wheel sets. Still working on box car project but not in a hurry--sometimes you have to take a brake and another set of eyes comes in handy.
Hi all,

the five boxcars are all trucked and reassembled(3 still need couplers). Waiting till I figure out lettering/numbering.

here are progress pics.

Hi all been busy working on truck as the brakes were realy bad and I now also have to get tires soon as they are the original tires on a 2001 F-150. Also have been helping mom clean up her basement by moving my stuff across the street to my basement. Will be getting back to the On30 kitbashing soon, may have some scratchbuilding as well down the road.

Although I enjoy the On30 project my main interest is S scale and 3Rail O, also have been busy with club layout(HO) work as well.

Look for progress in a few days.

:hey: Whats coming up next? I photo coppied an oldd tyco caboose body shell and increased it 136% then cut out copy and will find a chunk of wood and glue the copy to it, then I will carve/grind out the profile remove copy prime the caboose and then paint it and add S trucks and couplers. If this is a successful experiment will try to do some roundroof boxcars and some covered hoppers as well. Thumbsup
You're making "real" box cars out of those toys..!! Thumbsup

Look forward to seeing how you make out with the "chunk of wood" caboose project....
Gus (LC&P).