La Mirada, CA Industrial District Switching Project
Could you rework the tracks at Spartech to get some more length? The current plan looks like one car per track.
I like the added run-arounds. They make life easier.
Reinhard
Josh - keep hammering away at the plan, but don't let analysis paralysis take over. I'm usually one to plan something to death simply because I believe in planning well ahead of time. However in this case, you've been planning for a while now. This time I say quit planning and BUILD SOMETHING ALREADY!! You've got a great concept and seem well adept at fleshing it out. Go for it! Have fun building and running some trains!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I, too, am a huge proponent of planning. I did it my whole career, planning how to develop a new product to solve the problem as stated by a client (be it as a consultant or from within a corporation.) I've been doing that with the Structure Challenge, but I've discovered that, at least in model railroading, you've got to "Plan in Place!" On paper, to scale, is apparently not always what it's cracked up to be! Plan full size, with paper track and structures if need be, but things can take up more room than expected when you get right down to it! Especially those nice sweeping curves or clearances on hidden track, etc. 35 Nope

Damn! I had it all drawn up and it looked so good! Then I started to mock it up 3-D with corrugated cardboard mock-ups and sections of cardboard cut out to represent track/roadbed at the proper widths and radii and ... ahhh .... oops! That's not going to fit! Confusedhock: Icon_lol

PUNT! :oops: Wallbang Wallbang

But better to punt now that later when we are dealing with lumber, whicch costs $$! Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
One thing that I noticed is that I had the wrong company name for the large building below the yard, I had World Marketing Inc. on it, but it is actually Estenson Logistic LLC so I changed it on my plan. I dont know why I put World Marketing Inc there as it is way over by Montebello Container on the prototype. Ive also added 2 more sidings down at the bottom by Georgia Pacific. The industries are not prototypically placed on the plan, but it will fill in the open space and provide with 2 more spot locations for switching. Ive added the second Montebello Container building, Gesma Enterprises (which will spot 1-2 tank cars behind cars being spotted Montebello just like on the prototype), Italcal Trading (which is not rail served), and Leader Automotive Inc. (which can spot 2 boxcars) The track nearest Georgia Pacific will be used as the unload track, while the second track nearest Georgia Pacific will be used as storage for other loaded boxcars waiting to be unloaded and switched into place.

Attached Files Image(s)

Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
faraway Wrote:Could you rework the tracks at Spartech to get some more length? The current plan looks like one car per track.
I like the added run-arounds. They make life easier.

I may be able to do something, Ill have to sit down and stare at it to see about possible changes lol. You are correct, only one hopper for both those tracks at Spartech. The track next to Majestic Management is used for the storage of additional hoppers for Spartech, so Im thinking it may be fun to leave the tracks short and switch out new hoppers while bringing the empties back out to the yard. I may add a run-around over by Spartech so the train doesnt have to go all the way back to the yard with the empties and then go all the way back to Spartech to push the new hoppers in place....
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
ocalicreek Wrote:Josh - keep hammering away at the plan, but don't let analysis paralysis take over. I'm usually one to plan something to death simply because I believe in planning well ahead of time. However in this case, you've been planning for a while now. This time I say quit planning and BUILD SOMETHING ALREADY!! You've got a great concept and seem well adept at fleshing it out. Go for it! Have fun building and running some trains!

Galen

LOL Thanks Galen! Misngth I keep thinking im done with the plan, and then my buddy Andy will pop in and suggest something else for better operation. He has worked the La Mirada area a couple times, and so far Ive liked all his suggestons, although I am drifting farther and farther away from the prototype in certain areas, which i guess is necessary in some areas for smooth operation lol

You will be glad to hear that I have started on Module #4 this evening. I was able to lay down the Tie Strips on the right end of the module. I ran out of Tie Strips, so i will have to order more, also going to order the turnouts I will need for the module, those will be in next week sometime.

Ill get a new thread going for the layout progress of this project in a few minutes
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
P5se Camelback Wrote:I, too, am a huge proponent of planning. I did it my whole career, planning how to develop a new product to solve the problem as stated by a client (be it as a consultant or from within a corporation.) I've been doing that with the Structure Challenge, but I've discovered that, at least in model railroading, you've got to "Plan in Place!" On paper, to scale, is apparently not always what it's cracked up to be! Plan full size, with paper track and structures if need be, but things can take up more room than expected when you get right down to it! Especially those nice sweeping curves or clearances on hidden track, etc. 35 Nope

Damn! I had it all drawn up and it looked so good! Then I started to mock it up 3-D with corrugated cardboard mock-ups and sections of cardboard cut out to represent track/roadbed at the proper widths and radii and ... ahhh .... oops! That's not going to fit! Confusedhock: Icon_lol

PUNT! :oops: Wallbang Wallbang

But better to punt now that later when we are dealing with lumber, whicch costs $$! Thumbsup

Thanks for the reply Bil Misngth

I know what you mean, I am often like that where i get stuck in the planning stages and never actually start anything, mostly because I dont have the space right now. This project is however small enough for me to take on right now, and I dont need my own house as I can store these portable modules on my walls Eek Misngth Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains