Dean Distillery
Hi Richard

The distillery thread is absolutely Ed's. Read it through again you will see that Ed was an engineer on the Frankfort & Cincinnati RR. that served several distilleries, including Buffalo Springs, that formed the basis for the thread. I am in the (slow) process of making a small version, which is why I kept finding links. I think that thread contains pretty much all there is on Buffalo Springs.

Your model is superb.

Ken
Very nice Scubadude, especially the water tank. I've been thinking of making stone walls the way you did, glad to see what it can look like. I have to say though that I think the plastic stone sheet that comes with the kit also is a viable material, not something to be relegated to 7 year olds. Hopefully, a case in point:

jglfan Wrote:... I have to say though that I think the plastic stone sheet that comes with the kit also is a viable material, not something to be relegated to 7 year old ...

Now there's a nice job of using that vacu-formed plastic sheet ... obviously done by someone with a lot more modeling skill than the average seven year old! Big Grin 357 357

Sometimes my unusual sense of humor is not all that apparent -- my daughter thinks it's amazing that anyone ever gets my humor, it's so obtuse!

I do appreciate some of the detail on that structure, though ... the second floor doors, the hole in the roof (well done!) and the tin stack resting where it landed after that last big wind and rain storm. But seriously ... the dog makes it ... or is "taking it" ... I love the dog! Thumbsup 357 Cheers
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
scubadude Wrote:I must apologize to Ed for giving credit to Ken for the Bourbon Distillery thread for inspiration.
No problem Richard!

This is one neat looking small distillery! In fact it looks a lot like a small one that I've either actually seen or at least seen photographs of here in Kentucky - just can't for the life of me think of where it was located. At one time there was a distillery behind every tree in this part of Kentucky - most are long gone now.

A small grain elevator like the one that was located at Buffalo Springs would be perfect for an operation this size. Maybe something even smaller (two small silos?), although I'd venture that a distillery this size would simply get the corn, etc., from the local farmers.

Don't think I ever mentioned it in my thread about the Buffalo Springs distillery, but in the early days, many of the distilleries actually kept cattle and hogs on their property and the mash was fed directly to the live stock. Depending on your era, might be something to include in the scene. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
JGLfan - Your use of the molded plastic stone wall makes me wonder if I should have used it! It looks great. I especially like what you did with the roof. BTW - I've been missing your engine facility thread lately, I have stolen dozens of ideas from your pictures Big Grin Have you done anymore on it??

Ed - gotta get that dog! As I may have mentioned, the distillery is bound for a layout which already has all the track laid and wired. So this is kind of an afterthought to the original plan, which means that there really isn't much room for a full blown distillery like Buffalo Springs. Once it's placed, there will probably only be room left for a small pair of silos. I really want to do a Buffalo Springs, but getting anything else besides silos is probably not going to happen. I like your thoughts about it being the size of a smaller operation receiving corn, etc. and putting some livestock on the property to eat the mash. It will give it a little character. Thumbsup

I do think I will do a Buffalo Springs for my N scale at home. I really like the scene of a distillery, warehouse, grain silos, coal trestle and especially the rolling of the barrels on the rails. Do you think it would be appropriate for 1960 era?

Thanks for all the comments......
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Richard, I haven't done much on the layout, nor spent much time on line. My mother in law was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, and between running to treatments, doctors and pharmacies, and spending some time with her, I just don't have the interest. Sometimes I go downstairs, look around, and go back upstairs! I'm sure I'll get back into it at some point. I'm glad you've been able to get some ideas from it!
jglfam - I am so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law. My uncle, who was my second father, fought pancreatic cancer for 18 months. I know what you've been going thru. Maybe you can steal away a minute here and there to visit your layout for a little reality relief. My prayers and thoughts are with your family.
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Richard....now that building is "Bad to the Bone"!!!!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Excellent work all the way around. The shingles, stonework, wood.......really all of it, looks first rate.

AWESOME!
Steve
Thanks Richard, we found out Friday she is not a candidate for surgery, so at least we all know what to prepare for. It's a relief to know and she even feels "free" now. She still feels decent so we'll try to make those days count.

Anyway, biL, I'm sorry for not responding to your post sooner. Thanks for your kind words. One of the details I like a lot is the broken out section of the lower corner of the window. It catches my eye for some reason. I love building the Campbell kits. I'm not as big a fan of the new lasercut stuff. They look great, but I don't enjoy building them as much. I've got the Campbell cannery kit to build, it has metal siding. And the dog, well he was a regular in pics I took long ago, to the point someone posted asking what happened to the dog when I posted a pic without him!
Richard,
I did see the broken muntins and mullions in that window, but in reality, my eye was first drawn up to the hole in the roof ... quite realistic looking from down here on the ground!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln