Mt. Union Area Logging Co. Information
Hi again. I have a small history/story of why the company was founded and what all we do, if you guys would like to read it. Much of what is listed on here will not be modeled on any of the current segments, as my alloted layout space is too small(isn't it always though).

Here it is:

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I affiliated with any prototype railroads, and I haven't the faintest clue as to their current financial situtation. Any financial problems the prototype is dealing with here are not necessarily the financial situation of any prototype mentioned.

Alright. So the history of the Mt. Union Area Logging Co.(MUAL), is deeply rooted in the logging operations of the past and the East Broad Top Railroad(EBT), especially the leg of the line running from Mt. Union due south to Rockhill Furnace and Orbisonia. The East Broad Top layed the rails of Mt. Union Yard in 1876 and during that same year ran them south to Rockhill Furnace.

Logging operations of the time and clear up until the early 1960's primarily used geared steam to tackle the immense grades they faced. Eventually, the cost of operating geared steam and rising labor costs caused logging railroads to loose profits quickly and eventually had to sell themselves to other railroads, or abandon the line.

The EBT sold itself to the Kovalchick Salvage Co. in 1956, and four years later, in 1960, opened as a tourist line. The Mt. Union Yard still slumbered.

However, in recent years, the Mount Union Connecting RR Co.(MUCRR), has reopened part of the yard, the old PRR main just past the end of the main, and south of the yard to US 522.

When the recession hit, the fledgling shortline was hit hard, and was in deep financial trouble, with rail service taking a sharp plunge for the line's primary source of traffic, the Riverview Industrial Park.

Here's where the logging railroads of the past step in. In my little slice of the world, we saw an oppurtunity to bring logging railroads back to life, but being powered by diesel instead of geared steam. The large area around Mt. Union comprising of dead timber has spurred the idea of trying the new idea. As a backup source of traffic, the Riverview Industrial Park has been showing a large amount of interest in receiving rail service again.

The MUAL has layed track south of the dual gauge yard in Mt. Union south to Aughwick Mills. Operating over ex-EBT trackage purchased from the Kovalchick Salvage Co, the MUCR has dual gauged the three-foot gauge section of the mainline and has also added several dual gauge switches leading to standard gauge sidings leading to logging sites.

Deep back in the woods near the Aughwick Creek bridge, the only poured concrete bridge on the EBT, the main yard, engine serice facility, and other buildings and facilities that make the railroad work have been built to facilitate an off-the-EBT rail facility so as not to damage the original EBT rails. We have also created a wye to the area near the turn on the MUCRR to the Riverview Industrial Park to provide rail service to the industrial park again and an new siding has been added due to an announcement from a new industry moving in.

That new industry will be revealed at a later date. They have asked us not unveil their presence in the Riverview Industrial Park for publicity reasons at the current time.

Primary motive power on the line at the current time is an old ALCo. locomotive and an old PRR switch engine. Both switch the Riverview Industrial Park several times a day. An MDT allows commuter service from Mt. Union and Aughwick Mills to some of the more remote logging areas.

The MUCRRC has granted us trackage right 500 feet to the north of the EBT enginehouse to allow us direct handoffs with both them and the Norfolk Southern to allow us to get centerbeam flatcars and boxcars for one of the only non-lumber industries on the line, a furniture facotry in Aughwick Mills.

The line also sends that centerbeam flatcar with a few others to the lumber mills to pick up milled lumber for shipment. The original focus of the line was to get the MUCRRC back on its feet, but recent statements suggest that the line may decide to stay and log the mountain and area around Mt. union as fa south as Robertsdale, PA.

Although it is currently under construction, be sure to come b my website some time. I'll be sure to give you all a hyperlink to my website later when it's in a finished or semi-finished state.