A Find at Olmito...
OK...So I'm driving on the overpass of the Olmito yard just north of town, and I see these beauties sitting idly....not earning their keep...
Since my knowledge of diesels is less than what I know of quantum mechanics (...really...), I put it to you to enlighten me as to what I found....

[Image: DSCF2504.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2502.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2501.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2503.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2499.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2508.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2513.jpg]

I have a few questions...
1.- Why is the lead unit "Undecorated"...with the exception of the UP logo..?? And why no fuel tanks between the trucks..?
2.- Why the "Y" before the number in the first two engines..?
3.- Why is the third unit marked as " HLCX"..?
4.- The first unit seems to be on its last legs, but the others seem to be still serviceable....Why are they all "bunched" together..?

Feel free to add whatever other info you feel might be pertinent.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:OK......
1.- Why is the lead unit "Undecorated"...with the exception of the UP logo..?? And why no fuel tanks between the trucks..?
2.- Why the "Y" before the number in the first two engines..?
...:

1- It might be a dedicated remote control unit. It's only purpose it to get the radio commands and run the other engines via the standard MU connections.
2- They are UPY Y = yard units / switcher
Reinhard
Very interesting photos. The "Y" definitely means "yard"

Reinhard's suggestion that the gray unit is an RC unit seems reasonable. And it is unpowered (no fuel tank)?

Still would like to know more about it though!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
After reading AF350's response in the WPF thread, maybe this thing is headed for the scrap yard.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I would bet it is a slug. Prime mover replaced with concrete, and only the traction motors are used in yard service. CSX had some GP-30's set up as road slugs.
Charlie
The gray unit is indeed a remote control paltform. It is a retired GE unit, no fuel tank and unpowered. I think the traction motors are still in place but it is not a slug. It is used to remotely control whatever consist is M.U.ed to it. The others are GP15/GP38/GP15. At least one of them is now owned by Helm Leasing (HLCX). The Up roster is so large that they found it made room for more units to use different reporting marks on yard power, hence the UPY 129, or UP Y129.
-Dave
Guys;

UP calls these "things" Control Car, Remote Control Locomotives. Here is a link that should answer your questions:
http://utahrails.net/all-time/upy-ccrcl.php
Be sure and check the photo link of UPY 126.

Hope this helps. Was rather curious about this myself. Looks like it's headed for the Old Cuttin' Torch...
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Hey..!! Great info guys..!! That 129 is exactly what FCIN reports. The link lists #129 as being a Control unit, and the links to 126 look exactly like 129, although in much better shape. Never thought we'd have one of those down here. I thought those were used in the mega-yards like Omaha's....The rearmost one is not coupled to the other three, although you can't tell from the angle the shots were taken at.

Sure do appreciate everyone's input... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Those are pretty cool looking remotes ,But did anybody else notice in the forth picture down in the post of the UFO flying over the third unit??? .Sure dont look like a jet I have ever seen. Can anybody say TWILIGHT ZONE. MartyG
MartyG Wrote:Those are pretty cool looking remotes ,But did anybody else notice in the forth picture down in the post of the UFO flying over the third unit??? .Sure dont look like a jet I have ever seen. Can anybody say TWILIGHT ZONE. MartyG

Yup seen that shape before but not alone usaly in a v formation Canadian Goose?

Or may be some other large bird?? Then on the other hand is the color of the remote unit is gray. Icon_lol
It's a seagull...We're "infested" with them, particularly in open areas like that.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:It's a seagull...We're "infested" with them, particularly in open areas like that.... Goldth

The shopping center here in the parking lot is normally covered with flocks and flocks of the foul garbage birds they love the fast food places which is the only surviving business not counting Kroger and Wal-mart. Nope
Maybe I have been watching to much UFO Hunters . LOL . I know about seagulls .They may as well be flying cows. MartyG
The GP15-1s must be ex-CNW or ex-MP. The GP38-2's lack of dynamics says it wasn't originally UP, either...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://utahrails.net/all-time/upy-index.php">http://utahrails.net/all-time/upy-index.php</a><!-- m -->
UPY 618 is an ex-MP GP15-1. Can't make out the middle digit on the last unit. If it's 590, it's also ex-MP.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://utahrails.net/all-time/all-time-11.php#gp38-2-330">http://utahrails.net/all-time/all-time- ... gp38-2-330</a><!-- m -->
HLCX 338 was clearly UP, and UP 338 was ex-MP as well.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!