In the South
As outlined in the thread "In the Northeast" the layout has been changed over the time and moved to the south. Lets start with an overview of the current status and see how it will develop.

[Image: Img_0132.jpg]

[Image: Img_0133.jpg]

[Image: Img_0134.jpg]

[Image: Img_0135.jpg]

[Image: Img_0136.jpg]

[Image: Img_0137.jpg]

[Image: Img_0138.jpg]

[Image: Img_0139.jpg]
Reinhard
Wow - feels like every time I check the forum, you have changed buildings, era or location. Not just thought about it (like us pedestrian types), but actually implemented it too. Amazing and wonderful to see!

Btw - I really hope those beautiful buildings you remove from the layout when you build new things does not get scrapped - they are way too nice looking to suffer such a fate.

If you ever need to get rid of old buildings, tell us - I am sure there will be a big pile of us wrestling to be first in line to buy em from you :-)

Grin,
Stein, who is moving at a much slower speed with his layout ....
Faraway,

The breakaway to a more modern southern based layout was a good move. Everything looks exceptional. You and Kurt must live near one another, since I see similar patterns in building, especially the external details such as conduit and junction boxes that most forget to include.

Larry
fast car Wrote:Faraway,

The breakaway to a more modern southern based layout was a good move. Everything looks exceptional. You and Kurt must live near one another, since I see similar patterns in building, especially the external details such as conduit and junction boxes that most forget to include.

Larry
Larry, Kurt and I never met. He lives in the north (where I am original from) and I live since about 30 years in the deep south of Germany. He is the one (together with the web side and books of Lance) that are my primary teachers/sources of modern US layout. The photos and postings of his layout were the kick in the a... I needed to give it a try.

ps. I had a not satisfactory first try ( http://rubpeters.ru.funpic.de/h02008/index.html ) of modern industry two years ago. It did not work because I tried to do "real industry" on my small layout. Kurt and Lance showed me how to approach the topic of modern industry on limited space.
Reinhard
Your structures and track work are marvelous no matter where they are located in the world! Thumbsup You might have mentioned this sometime earlier but can you tell me about the backdrop buildings? Are they commercially available or did you find them online, or are they photos you took? The fit in so well!
Ralph
Hello Reinhard---excellent transformation.The overall scene is very realistic but what I really like is that each individual location offers unique photo opportunities---your layout is a photographer's paradise Thumbsup
Ralph Wrote:Your structures and track work are marvelous no matter where they are located in the world! Thumbsup You might have mentioned this sometime earlier but can you tell me about the backdrop buildings? Are they commercially available or did you find them online, or are they photos you took? The fit in so well!
Ralph
Ralph,
the backdrop is from Kingmill ( http://www.kingmill.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21 ). I am very satisfied. They are best for brick buildings but some (as currently on my layout) do also fit more modern themes.
Reinhard
"Space" is an amazing thing. The two plant buildings of the GERN complex have been removed to make place for some more modern structures.
The space left of the elevator was refilled with a very simple mock up made of two white and silver sprayed card stock pieces. The "large space" is subject to more detailed planning. The left end has been temporary visual closed with the old plumbers building. In the space to be discussed two trucks have been placed.

The birds view demonstrates the ugly truth: The is no "large space" at all to be filled with a remarkable industry building. The space is so small a truck could barely make a turn. The next picture from may chair demonstrate the lack of space even more drastically. With respect of the prototype dimensions and proportions of used and unused space in e.g. the Houston area I doubt if an additional building is justified at all.

I wanted to show and share this little example because it is the second time (last week the planned diner in the triangle area) I surprise myself with the "truck test". Just put a standard US truck on the free space and rethink it's size and possible use with respect of usual industry buildings of today.

An other aspect are the proportions. The removed building and the more simple white mock up emphasize the elevator as the tallest building and the silos as tall and dominating. That is a positive effect I like.

[Image: Img_0140.jpg]

[Image: Img_0141.jpg]

ps. No, the bumper is still not weathered. I am in love with the little bright yellow thing
Reinhard
Reinhard, Sweet!

I love it when there's a crossing to block while I am switching a industry. Icon_twisted
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
faraway Wrote:Ralph, the backdrop is from Kingmill ( http://www.kingmill.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21 ). I am very satisfied. They are best for brick buildings but some (as currently on my layout) do also fit more modern themes.

Thanks for the link! Nice collection of offerings. Thumbsup
Ralph
Brakie Wrote:Reinhard, Sweet!

I love it when there's a crossing to block while I am switching a industry. Icon_twisted

Icon_lol Railfans love it! Everyone else is cursing your name! Goldth
Reinhard, as much as I like the Walther's Red Wing Milling building, I have to say that removing it certainly opened up the space and puts a new focus on the Silos and elevator building.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I have made a bunch of photos of my layout and put them on my home page (39 would be to much for posting here).
http://rubpeters.ru.funpic.de/h020102/index.html
Reinhard
Neat stuff, Reinhard, just as I expected.

The "Fantasy/Medieval Lords" windows that kept opening on top of your page were somewhat annoying, though! I'm going to have to tweek my Norton Internet Security .... it usually blocks anything like that!

But your model work is, as always, so well done! Wunder werken! Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary S Wrote:Reinhard, as much as I like the Walther's Red Wing Milling building, I have to say that removing it certainly opened up the space and puts a new focus on the Silos and elevator building.
Gary, you made a remark about the open space in Texas / Houston area when I commented to open space on your layout. That triggered me to rethink how much is enough and how much is to much. I decided even my layout is only small that is no excuse to have more buildings per space unit than a larger layout has. That is also one of the basic concepts Lance is repeating again and again. I ended up with eight structures only. That is enough for the location (TX/CA) and time (1990+) on my layout (150" by 24").

Remark, the only way I know to have much more buildings per space unit is to change location and time. I assume that is one of the attractions the transition area and earlier located in north east US down town industry areas has. You can very prototypical put brick building very close together and run the tracks in the streets and very small back yards. A real alternative I like very much too.
Reinhard