Good things come in narrow packages
Sorry....Guess I'll have to break out the Diesel's Spotters Guide..... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Kurt, you'll have to forgive Gus. To steam fans all diesels look alike! It is kind of like asking a sailing enthusiast to identify a motorboat.
Russ, I totally understand Gus. Ask me to identify a steamer Goldth . I can tell a steamer from a diesel, but that’s about it ..... Eek Goldth
Kurt
Kurt...We're kinda' in the same upside down boat...I know it's a diesel cuzz I can't see drivers and valve gear.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Kurt...We're kinda' in the same upside down boat...I know it's a diesel cuzz I can't see drivers and valve gear.... Goldth

What do you make of a GE 45 tonner where you have a diesel with side rods?
...but no valve gear...... Misngth

The 44 tonner did run through my mind as I was typing that, so I added the valve gear to my description....
Gus (LC&P).
hey,its trainnuts steisel Icon_lol --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
I LOVE IT!!!!! Thumbsup  Thumbsup  Thumbsup
My knowledge of both steamers and diesels is just enough to absolutely PROVE my ignorance of both! Big Grin

Believe it or not I have been busy on the layout. I have been doing mock-ups of the freight house on the far right side of the layout.

The left third of the mock-up is an "open" loading dock with a roof over it. I photoshopped the second pic to better illustrate that. All three sections of this structure will measure almost 4 feet in length......barring any changes.

[Image: A1udtw.jpg]

[Image: A3IN7H.jpg]

I will also NOT be using my old girder bridge on this layout......I want this layout to be totally seperate from the old one.

Have a great weekend
Steve
Looks like a good sized freight house, personally I'm not much for mock-ups although I do use the photoshop quite a bit, I'll usually take a picture of the present area to be done and blend in buildings, terrain and what ever will make it pop and it gives me a good guideline.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Looking Good Steve Thumbsup Misngth I like the idea of that long open loading dock Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Nice mock up Steve. I am going to do the same thing when I get rolling on my end. I have been stock piling cereal boxes for a couple years now! LOL!!!

The open dock is a great idea. Are you designating a track on each side as inbound/outbound or you just going to go with the flow? Big Grin
The CNR had a similar open-platform style freight house in Palmerston, in southern Ontario. Cars on tracks on both sides of the platform would be spotted with their doors aligned across the platform (this can be done with multiple tracks, too), then LCL would be transferred to the different cars assigned to the various branches radiating out from Palmerston. There are some good photos and a description of the operation in Ian Wilson's book Steam Over Palmerston. Most of his books, even though all deal mainly with the CNR in the '50s, are great references for anybody wanting to model branchline operations in the 1950s or earlier. All volumes detail each line, with track diagrams and industrial placement for each town, plus a description of operations, and, of course, lots of excellent photos.

Wayne
Lynn... I hear you Thumbsup
Mock-ups are new to me, I never did one before, but I found it to a useful tool. I also think that a person could do an even simpler version of one, strickly for seeing how the size of a proposed structure will really impact the scene. Like I said, I've never done one before so it certainly isn't a necessity.

Josh here is another angle that shows the track behind the long dock. It will be nice to look through the dock and see the cars behind it:

[Image: I02FDM.jpg]

Quote:The open dock is a great idea. Are you designating a track on each side as inbound/outbound or you just going to go with the flow?
tetters...you should know better than ask me a question like that  Goldth  I have no idea!........but that is good food for thought! Thank you for mentioning it.  Thumbsup

Wayne...Thank you for the useful info...I will look into finding the book.  Thumbsup
Steve
Very nice, I like the freight house! Cheers
Steve i didnt know there was a track that ran behind that dock, that is a sweet idea and your right that will be cool to see the cars behind the dock Misngth Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World