Gern traffic
If I were to join in I would have to send a Potomac Line car along with a GERN car, both perhaps waybilled to the same destination. It would provide me an opportunity to see one of my home road cars at King's Port or Port Maitland for example... I would enjoy seeing my own home road cars travel other people's layouts.
-Dave
Don't know if I would go through the trouble of packing and mailing stuff around the country. I do think a GERN rollingstock thread would be cool. Someone start one, and I'll participate.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Why couldn't a Gern car, be patched with a home road reporting marks?
Could say that the Home road bought the car off Gern second hand, or(if modeliing a more modern era) a leasing company, to supplement thier own rolling stock needs.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Gary S Wrote:.... I do think a GERN rollingstock thread would be cool. Someone start one, and I'll participate.

Anyone can post their GERN rolling stock photos HERE

Wayne
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Why couldn't a Gern car, be patched with a home road reporting marks?
Could say that the Home road bought the car off Gern second hand, or(if modeliing a more modern era) a leasing company, to supplement thier own rolling stock needs.

That would work, but you could also "patch" a common carrier car for GERN, too - all it would take would be GILX reporting marks and an appropriately-assigned car number.

Wayne
Les, I've moved your pictures to the new GERN rolling stock thread HERE

Wayne
Wayne, great collection of fan railroading. (fan railroading being fans adding to the GERN legacy one rail car at a time.) 8-) Thumbsup

I will be on the lookout for basket case cars to fix up for GERN to add my chapter to the legend of GERN. Icon_lol

By the way just what is GERN???? Icon_lol Bran cereal, hand soap maybe industrial goo Icon_lol the mystery is what makes it fun.
AF350 Wrote: ... By the way just what is GERN???? Icon_lol Bran cereal, hand soap maybe industrial goo Icon_lol the mystery is what makes it fun.
The following has been copied and pasted from the copy I made of the answer that was offered by doctorwayne when I asked what was basically the same question, a short time ago.

Gibson’s Extraordinary Remedial Natural Flux

I copied this from my reply to the same question which was asked over at Zealot:

Well, the idea for GERN originated in the late '50s, and was my brother Steven's brainchild. We had a table-top hockey game, the kind where the players are controlled by rods under the "ice" surface. We each had several teams, and all of the players were named, allowing us to keep statistics for each "season". One of his players was Cookie Gibson, centre, team owner, and well-to-do flux magnate. If I recall correctly, he won the scoring championship several times, playing for the Shawinigan Syrup Kings.

It was determined that flux was not so much like soldering flux, but more like flux in the expression "in a state of flux", or changeable. When I finally had the opportunity to build my layout, I knew that a flux facility would have to be included. Steven picked up the ball (or puck) and came up with some advertising, signs, and snippets of historical information.

Since I model the late '30s, I've arbitrarily back-dated GERN's origins (as ever, in a state of flux) back to the early 1900s. Historical records do exist (somewhere) that flux was mined in Britain as far back as Roman times, and the Chinese "claim" to have evidence of prehistoric flux mines. Regardless, Mr. Gibson (his real name is Charles, although most call him Cookie) has secured the world-wide rights to all flux deposits, including any yet to be discovered and has recently negotiated lunar mining claims, for the time when that becomes feasible. So, even if a company mines flux under the name of another company, GERN is sure to reap the financial benefits.

Several recent court cases have borne this out, and GERN of the People's Republic of China may be one of the few industries in that country subject to stringent standards of quality control, both through the Government and through GERN International. The consumer can rest assured that "If It's GERN, It is indeed Good".

By the way, for a long time, I didn't like the sound of bagpipes either, but I've come to appreciate them in some contexts. One of my favourite songs with bagpipes is AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top (if You Wanna Rock and Roll)". I don't know if it's good bagpipe playing in the opinion of a true bagpipe aficionado, but, for me, it really "makes" that song.

Much of the plant's output is shipped in 100 lb. bags (which, because of technical advances from the GERN Laboratories, weigh only 75lbs), and can travel in ordinary boxcars, like this SOO Line car shown here:

Fluxene Peroxide is an enhanced by-product of the flux milling process, removed from the flux ore before final milling. This material travels in shortened tankcars, like the one shown below, due to its extreme density, which is attributable to it being the "removed component" that leaves that 100lb. bag of flux "as light as a feather". This is the proverbial "ten pounds of flux in a five-pound bag" and a little of it goes a long way in it's many applications, which include glass-making, forestry, agriculture, zeppelin production, and explosives:

Flux Sludge is an integral component in almost all manufactured food products, enhancing flavour, prolonging shelf-life, and making food look at least 3% better than it otherwise would. It's also widely used in the hide tanning and brick-making industries:

Anhydrous Flux, once considered a waste by-product of the sludge-making process, has become an important additive in the paper-making process, and is finding an ever expanding market in a number of other fields:

Liquiflux, used in pharmaceuticals and many food-related applications:

Bulk shipments of GERN products are becoming more and more popular with many larger customers nowadays, pioneered by these cars, which are are product of the fertile minds at the GERN Research & Development Division, working in conjunction with the Carshops of the Elora Gorge & Eastern Railroad. Basically a boxcar, the doors have been fitted with GERN Flux-o-Seals (patents pending) to prevent both leakage of the cargo and moisture incursion. Both powdered and granular flux is loaded via roof hatches and, at the Customer's receiving area, the cargo is quickly dumped from the four longitudinal underfloor hoppers. In addition, the car can be easily converted to bagged flux service with the simple installation of GERN's patented Converto-Panels, which provide a smooth, flat floor atop those hopper bays.

Modellers with less real estate available on their layout shouldn't despair of having their own GERN facility, either. GERN is the "Superman" of layout industries, able to generate many carloads of product from even a telephone booth-sized building. A building flat against the backdrop will do just fine, as long as there's a suitable door with a siding. Even if you can't squeeze that into your layout, GERN could be in an unmodelled part of town. I have several industries in Dunnville that are either not represented on the layout or barely represented, with rail access being a pair of sidings under the staging yard. The Evell Casket Co. is one of these, represented by this partial structure in front of the backdrop. This end of the building is where the pencil pushers work - no siding or loading doors in sight.

biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks for the history of GERN, helps in modeling of Gern railcars. Thumbsup
I agree GERN has set many ideas and a few projects in motion untill the cat ordeal. Any way the other night down in my man cave i moved some structures around a demolished the chalotte paper co. In this empty void i now have a 12inch x 8inch lot that may bring intrest to Gern ind. Not to turn away from the main idea here so ill start another thread called railcar exchange.
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
As of now none of C&HV customers received GERN products nor do we have any shippers that ships raw material to GERN..

However,if any one would like to use C&HV on a waybill then I present this for consideration..

C&HV uses a fleet of 50' and 60' Railbox boxcars,GATX,UTLX tank cars(as needed) and Railgons and sorry C&HV wasn't around during the transition years.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
It stands to reason that GERN products - especially various "fluxes" - would be used in the manufacturing of other GERN finished products, allowing a wide variety of GERN rolling stock to show up almost anywhere.

Go for it! Thumbsup
Go for it, as in? If you mean start some kind of car forwarding count me in. The way I see it put car in an appropriate box with vital owner information. Any damage should be reported to owner so the owner can determine any action. Such as a brake wheel missing then the owner could say just put one on it or send it back to owner for repair. It would be up to owners discretion. All of this would be at owners risk but with the understanding that the equipment would receive at a minimum the same care as given to receivers equipment. So what do you think?
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
AF350 Wrote:By the way just what is GERN???? Icon_lol Bran cereal, hand soap maybe industrial goo Icon_lol the mystery is what makes it fun.

The short answer is "YES".

And Cheers - that is what makes it great!

There's a lot about team tracks or interchanges being the ultimate industry from the point of view that any car can go there (more or less), but GERN facilities are so much more interesting Wink You can make it whatever you want - from large silos and complete complexes to something simple like a small distributor or even a single piece of rolling stock.

If nothing else, GERN-brand Flux makes model railroading at least 3% better...! Cheers

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:If nothing else, GERN-brand Flux makes model railroading at least 3% better...! Cheers Andrew

Now that about sums it up! Thumbsup