Designing My HO-Scale Room Layout
Good observations, Justin. File those away and keep them in mind when planning.

I can attest to the fun of a timesaver, but even after I chose it as a basis for my layout I wouldn't begin construction until I had a good premise for such a convoluted arrangement of sidings. I like building scenery so I wanted some way to do that. Setting the tracks on a narrow spit of land as a river landing with pilings and docks made a good story as to how the tracks were laid to fit the area available. There's even a bit of history with an older dock area and a newer dock.

Think like Disney. Every element contributes somehow to the story. If not, it is minimized or omitted altogether. All must work together for a synthesis of ideas to present a cohesive picture. When I'm on a layout tour, I can tell the layouts that were constructed with a story in mind vs. those that are just showcases for nice craftsman kits or rolling stock, or just thrown together. To each his own, but I find myself more interested in those railroads that seem to have a reason for being beyond just playing with toy trains. Maybe that's why prototype modeling has received increasing hobby press in the past few decades vs. freelanced RRs. To freelance convincingly takes alot more than a custom paint scheme - it takes showmanship.

Just my 2 cents. And I'm not disappointed if it's not On30...as long as you're okay with that. Wink

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I re-read the article on Lance Mindeim's Ho-scale Monon Room layout and It matches perfectly what I want to do it has:
High Scenery to track ratio
Realistic Operation
Simple switching
Fits into my space perfectly
Has continuous running

If anybody Has the December 1996 Issue of Model railroader, I really suggest reading his article.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Here is another Track-plan idea:

[Image: NewHavenShelfLayout.jpg?t=1283803384]

The track-plan is no.42 from 102 Realistic Track-plans, I really like it because the New Haven is one of my favorite railroads, and this layout really shows off the beautiful scenery in it's area, The layout has some simple and realistic switching, Broad Curve Radius, high scenery to track ratio, a small staging yard,and nice, flowing track.
Justin Miller
Here is an updated track-plan:
[Image: NewHavenShelfLayoutv2.jpg?t=1283906148]

I removed the s-curves from the previous plan, removed one of the staging tracks(I only need one), added some color, and some other small changes.

I really like this plan, It has plenty of space for running, no switching puzzles, lots of scenery, and the curves and turnouts are broad enough so I can use it with my layout I build when I am older(If it lasts that long).
Justin Miller
Justin,

I really like this plan, you sure have come a long way in your ideas and seem to have settled on a very good, basic and achievable plan. Winter is very quickly approaching so have you started to gather you supplies up yet???

We also expect to see some benchwork on the first day of Winter Wink
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Thanks Greg! This layout should be a fun one to build, And don't worry I will have some benchwork up by winter Misngth
Justin Miller
Justin, I am with Greg, this is a nice plan. That you can incorporate it later into a larger layout is a bonus. It has been fun to follow along with your thoughts, and to see you get things more in focus with the help of the folks at Big Blue. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Now, it'll be fun to follow along as you start on the layout.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Thanks Gary! I still have some things to figure out before I start construction, such as what railroad to model, which era to model, and figuring out witch industries to model, I will be starting a construction thread in a few months when I start benchwork.

I have a few ideas for which railroads to model but I can't decide, Currently I have come up with the following:
1.New Haven During the 1950's
2.Southern Pacific in the early 1980's
3.Western Pacific in the 1970's
4.Conrail/Penn-Central in the 1970's

I like the 1950's because of the shorter rolling stock and the more diverse engines, but I like the modern era because of the diverse rolling stock and the fact that I can still see the prototypes. Ugh.. I can't decide! Wallbang
Justin Miller
Hey Justin. Most likely you have been following along with Faraway's threads on his layout. You'll notice that he switched themes several times, and if you will build your layout in a manner that the structures are easily removed, the benchwork and track can be used as is for whatever your tastes change to in the future. For example, if you do New Haven in the 1950s now, but 5 or 10 years from now you get the chance to build a bigger layout with a 1970s WP theme, the basic benchwork and track of this layout will fit into the new layout with basically just changing the structures. I see this as a huge benefit of what you have settled on for now.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Thanks Gary! The only problem with switching scenery is that Connecticut and California have such different scenery, I guess I should model New Haven, but then switch to Penn-Central/Conrail if I decide to change.
Justin Miller
Another quick update, I realized that if I curved the mainline at the bottom and had it go to a removable staging track It would greatly increase the operational capabilities.

Here is the updated track-plan:
[Image: NewHavenShelfLayoutv3.jpg?t=1283981620]
Justin Miller
Ah the inevitability of the "Ever Expanding Layout". Icon_lol

Removable Staging is a good idea. I'm contemplating the same thing myself due to space constraints.
I have a book titled Build Your Next Layout This Way by Robert Sleicher (spelling?) The layout design is a folded dog bone around a center switching module based on a modified timesaver. One of the interesting ideas he shares is how to make a layout that changes era's just by changing out buildings and details. He changes the same layout from steam era to transition to modern by changing a grain elevator from wood to sheet metal to concrete, changing vehicles, and changing locomotives and rolling stock. I don't know if the book is still in print, but if you can get a copy it can give some great ideas for doing different eras on the same layout just by changing architecture, details, and trains.
Yet another updated track-plan:
[Image: NewHavenShelfLayoutv4.jpg?t=1284182158]

I Decided to use some benchwork I already have for part of it, that's the L-shaped part that curves at the bottom of the track-plan, I also removed the curve to the removable staging because it made that layout look "Weird" and I didn't like it.

Tomorrow I will be figuring out how to get the track to be raised without using foam because for whatever reason no store in California sells pink or blue foam.
I am thinking if I stack cork roadbed a couple of layers high I should get the height I want and it should be stable enough but I will find that out tomorrow, I might also start the layout construction thread tomorrow if everything goes as planned.

I hope I will take my time with this layout and not rush as I did with my last one, This will be the third layout I have built so I hope I get it right this time.
Justin Miller
According to Owens-Corning, their FOAMULAR® 150 rigid foam insulation is available at these locations:

Foothill Mill and Lumber
6633 Pentz Rd
PARADISE, CA 95969
Phone: 530-877-3395
Distance: 0 miles

Lake Oroville Ace Hardware
5369 Old Olive Hwy
Oroville, CA 95965
Phone: 530-589-1455
Distance: 16 miles

HOME DEPOT 8975
2150 3RD ST
OROVILLE, CA 95965
Phone: 530-538-0521
Website
Distance: 16 miles

It should be available in 1/2", 1", 1 1/2" and 2" thicknesses, in sheets measuring 24"x96" and 48"x96".

Hope that helps.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln