What Era, Railroads, & Locomotives are you set on?
1900-1905 Wilmington & Northern Branch of the Philadelphia & Reading. I have 3 interchanges with the PRR and one with the B&O. All steam, the diesel engine was invented just a few years ago. Electricity might catch on.
(What? How could you not enjoy the same thing passing in the same direction with virtually no input for 30 minutes? )

I know what you mean, but I like it myself. Sorta like listening to the rain. And when I'm stuck waiting at a crossing I just try to look at car details. 35

I watch NASCAR also. It bores many people. Everybody's different!! Cheers

And then there's 219 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cid
Do you have a time frame where you're set, time of year?
My railroad is set in the summer of 1979 and located in southern Massachusetts.

Are Steam, Diesel, Electric or all/some of both?
Diesel switchers are the motive power of choice. The radius of the curves on my layout are a sharp 18 inches

What are your railroads and what's the rolling stock consist of for deliveries/industries?
Mostly Northeastern railroads with shortline IPD cars (some lettered for my own home shortline railroad). The rolling stock consist will be box cars because my two customers are a manufacturing company and a distributor.

Is it Freelance or Compressed Prototype or even exact scale replica?
Definitely freelanced.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:Do you have a time frame where you're set, time of year?

Diesel switchers are the motive power of choice. The radius of the curves on my layout are a sharp 18 inches

What are your railroads and what's the rolling stock consist of for deliveries/industries?
Mostly Northeastern railroads with shortline IPD cars (some lettered for my own home shortline railroad). The rolling stock consist will be box cars because my two customers are a manufacturing company and a distributor.

Definitely freelanced.

potential early conrail modelers for the win! 79 is a good year for patch jobs!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
Mike Kieran Wrote:Do you have a time frame where you're set, time of year?

Definitely freelanced.

potential early conrail modelers for the win! 79 is a good year for patch jobs!

I have some Conrail and predecessor railroad freight cars. I have a Conrail SW8, but I'm going to letter it for my railroad. Sorry. I plan on getting some graffiti decals (Brooklynizing it) for the Conrail rolling stock though (and other rolling stock).
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:I have some Conrail and predecessor railroad freight cars. I have a Conrail SW8, but I'm going to letter it for my railroad. Sorry. I plan on getting some graffiti decals (Brooklynizing it) for the Conrail rolling stock though (and other rolling stock).

Hey, no need to be sorry, that is the reality of things! I will point out that in 1979, graffiti wasn't really widespread (and if it was, it got fixed relatively quickly. Grafitti starts showing up around the mid 1980s, at least thats what i can tell from most photos i have.
RRManiac Wrote:I know I posted earlier, but since then, this has been changed since I posted. Enjoy.
The first of the three industries on the line are a GERN Ind. deep mine to mine flux out. It was recently discovered that after exposure to air for more than 50 years, bituminous and semi-bituminous coal goes through a chemical change and becomes raw flux, which allows old deep mines for bituminous and semi-bituminous coal to be reopened and actively mined.
I was looking through this forum and saw this. I guess that would explain a discovery on my layout

[Image: BUT1_0002.jpg]

You might not be familiar with my layout, This is a local paper that I occasionally post when I feel it might be of interest to the members hereto let everyone know what is going on with my layout.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Is there a Daley in town..?? As I recall, elections were their specialty.... Goldth

I hope the flux is of good quality....It'll keep those folks busy for another generation....
Gus (LC&P).
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
Mike Kieran Wrote:I have some Conrail and predecessor railroad freight cars. I have a Conrail SW8, but I'm going to letter it for my railroad. Sorry. I plan on getting some graffiti decals (Brooklynizing it) for the Conrail rolling stock though (and other rolling stock).

Hey, no need to be sorry, that is the reality of things! I will point out that in 1979, graffiti wasn't really widespread (and if it was, it got fixed relatively quickly. Grafitti starts showing up around the mid 1980s, at least thats what i can tell from most photos i have.

Growing up in Brooklyn, NY during the 1970s, I can tell you that graffiti was around during the late 1970s. Cars at various yards around the city were routinely tagged and railroads barely had the money for repaints. This is when I thought that graffiti would also be good weathering for a car since most boxcars were fairly new and not so dirty.

I read my previous reply. I didn't mean that I was going to Brooklynize ONLY Conrail cars. I meant some of my freight car collection. Sorry for the miscommunication. I like Conrail's earlier years because of all of the patch jobs and the eclectic mix of equipment.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Growing up in Brooklyn, NY during the 1970s, I can tell you that graffiti was around during the late 1970s. Cars at various yards around the city were routinely tagged and railroads barely had the money for repaints. This is when I thought that graffiti would also be good weathering for a car since most boxcars were fairly new and not so dirty.

I read my previous reply. I didn't mean that I was going to Brooklynize ONLY Conrail cars. I meant some of my freight car collection. Sorry for the miscommunication. I like Conrail's earlier years because of all of the patch jobs and the eclectic mix of equipment.

I didn't take you to mean only conrail equipment, but i haven't seen much in the way of graffiti in my my photos of that time period. I suppose its either a.) more subtle in the photos/ that time period, or more likely B.) the cars are so dirty you can't see the graffiti anymore! Icon_lol

I would hardly say any of them looked new, but thats just my opinion from my books. If you were there first person, you know better.
I've noticed that at the time, people seemed less inclined to take photos of equipment with graffiti. I wish that I went railfanning more by the NYD/NYCH yard on 1st Avenue.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Assorted Eastern railroads, almost all pre-diesel. I like to run different era's of steam equipment with rolling stock up through the 50's as if none of the locomotives were ever retired. I have some favorite diesels, and no offense to diesel lovers, but I think steam engines have almost a living presence to them.
Kanawha Wrote:Assorted Eastern railroads, almost all pre-diesel. I like to run different era's of steam equipment with rolling stock up through the 50's as if none of the locomotives were ever retired. I have some favorite diesels, and no offense to diesel lovers, but I think steam engines have almost a living presence to them.
I must agree. Steam locomotives are living breathing beasts. Also from your name I think you might even model the same road as me.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Cheers If you've ever been near a "parked" steamer, you'll hear that the noise they make is very much like breathing.....
Gus (LC&P).
Steam locomotives have always puzzled me. I've been around a few working ones, Such as those at Strasburg and Steam town, but i wonder if it is just my overall lack of exposure to these locomotives that prevents me from feeling it.

I remember I was standing on the end-platform across from the smoke box on an eastbound run on the Strasburg Railroad a couple years ago. I could feel it pulsing and beating and the heat coming from it, but i think that was the closes I got to feeling it. I suppose the larger steam locomotives are prohibitively expensive to operate these days (at least in the Northeast where i can see them).

Gonna have to find other places to see and understand them.