Plymouth Street
I'd say! Inspirational work!
Ralph
Dave, Ralph, I appreciate your kind comments!

Just a short update. Yesterday I spent countless hours painting the structure – at least it felt like it, because painting is not something I really like doing ... but even worse, now I am facing the gruelling task of doing the glazing on 44 windows Misngth . Can anyone tell me why we are doing these things? Misngth Misngth

[Image: ply11.JPG]

[Image: ply12.JPG]
Kurt
That brick turned out great!

So tell me again, that was some plastic brick sheet applied over the plastic core?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
We are all nuts....that's why do this....

This building looks great I am really impressed with the texture of the brick sheet and also the coloration of the building is great.

Have fun with the windows....
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Gary S Wrote:That brick turned out great!

So tell me again, that was some plastic brick sheet applied over the plastic core?

Gary, that brick sheet is a .020" thin self adhesive foil. It is made by Noch (item #57445). I am using the n-scale version, because as with most brick sheets, the HO version is way out of scale. The downside of this brick sheet is its price – 9.99 EUR for approx. 5" x 12" is rather stiff. So I won’t use it on bigger structures, well, this building is the exception. I needed one sheet to cover the front wall, but with all these windows and the recessed parts it seemed the best way to go.

[Image: ply15.jpg]

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:We are all nuts....that's why do this....

Greg, I always suspected that … thank you for the confirmation Goldth .
Kurt
Great work on these first 2 structures for the new layout Kurt! Thumbsup Thumbsup I love the Fire Escapes, that large cargo roll-up, and the diamond decoration pieces on the bottom of the top story, to me those details make that structure stand out like gold Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Nice! Thumbsup
Josh, Tetters, thank you guys. This structure is looking quite promising, I hope the rest of the layout will be just as good.

No, I was not drunk Cheers when I put these two doors well above the ground as one might have suspected seeing the previous pics Misngth . There is a small loading dock in front of these doors. I decided to use hydrocal for the loading dock, so I made a simple mold from .040" styrene. Maybe I was a little hasty to take the casting out of the mold, because it stuck in a few places so that the loding dock crumbled a bit ... but I guess I like it even better this way. The stones on the sides of the loading dock were scribed with the tip of my scalpel.

[Image: ply13.jpg]

[Image: ply14.jpg]
Kurt
Kurt,

cnw1961 Wrote:Maybe I was a little hasty to take the casting out of the mold, but it stuck in a few places so that the loding dock crumbled a bit ... but I guess I like it even better this way.
I am always happy when things work themselves out and come out even better then planned.
I also agree that it does look better then a clean and neat edge

Keep up the great work!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Great job on that building. I'd be happy to have the hydrocal stick and break off like that...it looks real. It is very easy to imagine years of abuse breaking off that concrete just like that. Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Cheers I see we are on the same page on judging that accidental result. Sometimes Hydrocal is yielding unexpected results that would be hard to achieve if you tried on purpose, makes it interesting to work with.
Kurt
A tremendous stucture, and it looks really cool - but I'm confused. :? Is it concrete, cinder blocks, stone, er what? The smooth surface doesn't seem to jive somehow with the carved block facade and the large gaps. Are they facing blocks on a cast concrete structure? Maybe I've been watching too much Holmes on Homes. The chipped away portion seems to fit better with a solid concrete loading dock. I guess it's the carved mortar lines that are throwing me. :?

EDIT: I see after rereading your post you called them 'stones'. Even so, what about the smooth top and chipped away portions?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen, I am no mason and the unfamiliar English terms do not make it better ... heck, I would not even know them in German :o Goldth . So my amateurish description of how I think the loading dock was built, is concrete blocks with a thin layer of concrete on top. I dont know if such a loading dock would have chipped away portions like that, but I liked the look of it ... Wink ... but maybe I should think about scribing some thinner lines and repairing that chipped part to make it more prototypical.

it is time to show you some pics of the finished structure. I’ll only add a few blinds later. The roof is made of sanding paper painted black with acrylic paints and the railing is brass, as you can see in the first pic where it had not been painted yet.

[Image: ply16.jpg]

[Image: ply17.jpg]
Kurt
Great Work Kurt! Worship Worship Worship

I can't wait until you start laying track! Thumbsup
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
effing AWESOME! Worship