Plymouth Street
cnw1961 Wrote:... but even worse, now I am facing the gruelling task of doing the glazing on 44 windows Misngth . Can anyone tell me why we are doing these things? Misngth Misngth
" Because they are there " Wink
". So my amateurish description of how I think the loading dock was built, is concrete blocks with a thin layer of concrete on top."
Looks enough like cut stone blocks that you could just add the joints on the upper surface, and color the whole thing to represent the kind of stone that would have been used.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
cnw1961 Wrote:... but even worse, now I am facing the gruelling task of doing the glazing on 44 windows Misngth . Can anyone tell me why we are doing these things? Misngth Misngth
" Because they are there " Wink
". So my amateurish description of how I think the loading dock was built, is concrete blocks with a thin layer of concrete on top."
Looks enough like cut stone blocks that you could just add the joints on the upper surface, and color the whole thing to represent the kind of stone that would have been used.

Cheers

That's okay, Kurt. Many of us Americans stopped being bilingual years ago, und mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht. So many people outside the U.S. speak better english than we do. That said, perhaps model railroading is another universal language like math?

I'd think stone blocks would be less uniform than concrete blocks (we call them cinder blocks) unless cut very precisely. Either way, the chipping away effect is a nice touch that adds character. And the overall building is superb.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
We're all familiar with your superb building skills....But you've outdone yourself..!!!
That is one beautiful building.... Thumbsup
Can't wait to see the rest... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
A perfectly ugly structure.........beautifully realised

Great job, my friend!
Steve
Fantastic! If you posted a flat front photo of this magnificent structure I'd want to print it as a backdrop building. Thumbsup
Sumpter, Galen, after reading your posts I thought about the loading dock again and decided to make it look more like the prototype. The chipped away portion looked nice, but I doubt if it is really prototypical. So here is the loading dock after being "repaired".

[Image: ply18.jpg]

Steamtrains Wrote:We're all familiar with your superb building skills....But you've outdone yourself..!!!
That is one beautiful building.... Thumbsup
Can't wait to see the rest... Goldth
Gus, thank you, but this structure is nothing compared to your fabulous roundhouse!

Steve Wrote:A perfectly ugly structure.........beautifully realised
Steve, I don’t call these structures ugly Nope , I prefer to say they have character Wink Goldth .

Ralph, if you really wanted to use it as a backdrop building, I could take a flat front high res photo for you!
Kurt
Beautiful job... Thumbsup
Quote:Sumpter, Galen, after reading your posts I thought about the loading dock again and decided to make it look more like the prototype.

The prototype! Now why didn't I think of that before? 35 35

I went back to pg. 1 and clicked on the google maps link, then zoomed down the street and took a close look at the loading dock. It appears to be cinderblock construction with a concrete top, with the first section being the center (with the metal framing to prevent trucks from chipping away the edges or worse) and the two angled sides added at a later date. That's just a guess, but it also appears that the center section has been repaired or extended.

There's also some really nice grafitti on the shorter door (the b&w statue) and some neat signage. I could spend way too much time on google maps!

Galen
I just drove through New York City on my way to the airport to fly home...going through the Lincoln Tunnel then down 36th Street across Park Ave and Lexington Ave and through the Mid-Town Tunnel and I'm sure I just saw this building...ok...maybe one much like it. All you need is some old advertisement posters on the walls, some old locks with rust and scratch marks on the door from the chain links, a few broken bottles and trash, some weeds growing out of the loading dock cracks, and your building will be near perfect. Oh...and add some loud, NYC-type LPP's and a cop writing tickets for parked trucks and you're set. Big Grin
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Herc Driver Wrote:I just drove through New York City on my way to the airport to fly home...going through the Lincoln Tunnel then down 36th Street across Park Ave and Lexington Ave and through the Mid-Town Tunnel and I'm sure I just saw this building...ok...maybe one much like it. All you need is some old advertisement posters on the walls, some old locks with rust and scratch marks on the door from the chain links, a few broken bottles and trash, some weeds growing out of the loading dock cracks, and your building will be near perfect. Oh...and add some loud, NYC-type LPP's and a cop writing tickets for parked trucks and you're set. Big Grin

Yes, Kurt's structures looks just like pictures I have seen from New York. Amazing work, as always !

Btw - totally off topic, but I was reminded when you mentioned those tunnels. A distant relative of mine, Ole Singstad, a cousin of my maternal grandpa, emigrated from Norway to the US in 1905, and by a funny coincidence, was involved in designing both of those tunnels you passed through - both the Lincoln Tunnel and the Mid-Town Tunnel, as well as several other NYC tunnels. He also did some work for various American railroads - CNJ, Virginian, the Hudson and Manhattan, and worked on designing rapid transit in Philadelphia around the end of WW1. Ole was a pretty good engineer. As far as I know, I never met him, though - last time he visited Norway, a couple of years before he died, I was only about two years old.

Anyways - here's looking forward to seeing more pictures from Kurt showing his wonderful work!

Grin,
Stein
Galen, I also saw the graffiti and the signage. I will add some of these details later.

Herc, Stein, thank you guys. Knowing me and my love for decay and trash (only on my layouts Goldth ) you can be sure that I will make it look run-down and dirty Wink .

After this slow start with my new layout, I finally made some real progress. Two days ago I got my plywood and yesterday I laid track and built some mockups. As you can see from the trackplan, laying track was no big deal. I still have to solder the track though, but this will have to wait for about three weeks. We’ll be going on vacation this Friday. We are heading down south to the Mediterranean ... WOOHOO, Corsica, here we come!

[Image: ply21.JPG]

[Image: ply20.JPG]

[Image: ply22.JPG]

[Image: ply19.jpg]
Kurt
Eek ....... Worship Worship Worship Worship
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Just a great layout in the works...you can see it happening. That's a very good idea to build the mock-ups for spacing and size. I should have done that prior to affixing my track, as I probably wouldn't be moving buildings around here and there over the layout now.

Great job on those painted up structures Kurt - really great job.

Enjoy your holiday.

Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Ahhhhh! This time I'll get to see it happen from brick # one!

I'm so looking forward to it!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Kurt - that looks excellent!

How will you make your backdrop? Specifically, how will you mount it - to the layout or to the wall or both?

Thanks,

Galen