Downtown FRISCO - 1975-1980
HI..

Wih the help from member of this forum I have desgined my new switching layout based around the CSX in downtown Miami (hehe).

The idea behind the layout is to have the maxium amount of switching with a plan to add this layout to a larger layout. Once the kids have out grown the shed I will then plan a bigger layout, till then I should be kepted busy building this.

Layout Status
Benchwork: modified L-girder with 7mm ply tops
Track: Atlas code 55 with DCC mode to inprove power at point blades. #5 points cut and moded to suit the area.
Power: Digitrax Zephyr starter unit with a UT4 hand throtle.
Point motors: R/C servos with Tam Valley Depot Octopus II Eight Servo boards.
Building: Mainly scrached built with a few Walthers kits.
Secerny: Normal stuff -Woodlands, Trees hand made

OK, just need to make a few changes to the framework I have now, Will post more later.
Thanks
Auzze
Locos and Rolling stock: A few U-boats plus a MP15 in CSX with a good mix of 50' boxcars and tankers and flats
It is my understanding that XTrackCad is freeware ...

... Is that true?

I've been considering using some sort of CAD program to hone the actual design of my pending layout without having to tear off yet another piece of canary tracing paper and re-drawing it each time I have an epiphany! That re-drawing routine has gotten very long in the tooth and my planning sessions have ground to a halt due to the exasperation of the re-drawing exercise!

And since so many on this forum have apparently used the software, I'll assume it is, at the very least, helpful. So now I must ask, from which download site did you download your copy of XTrackCAD?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:It is my understanding that XTrackCad is freeware ...

... Is that true?

Yes. It has been a sourceforge freeware project managed by Martin Fischer up until July 15th 2010, when Martin regretfully had to close down the project due to lack of available time to work on the project. Code is frozen at the moment, but version 4.0.3 is still available for download from sourceforge (see below).

P5se Camelback Wrote:I've been considering using some sort of CAD program to hone the actual design of my pending layout without having to tear off yet another piece of canary tracing paper and re-drawing it each time I have an epiphany! That re-drawing routine has gotten very long in the tooth and my planning sessions have ground to a halt due to the exasperation of the re-drawing exercise!

And since so many on this forum have apparently used the software, I'll assume it is, at the very least, helpful. So now I must ask, from which download site did you download your copy of XTrackCAD?

Can be downloaded from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/

Stein
Auzze,

Looks like you are off to a great start, even though it is in Miami Big Grin

The only thing you may watch out for is your furthest south switch. Not sure if the thick black line is the edge of the benchwork and the other section a seperate piece of benchowrk or a if scenic divider. If it is the benchwork edge you may find it hard to have the switch there when you drill holes and try to mount your under layout drives.

Keep us posted on your progress!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Looks like you are off to a great start, even though it is in Miami Big Grin

The only thing you may watch out for is your furthest south switch. Not sure if the thick black line is the edge of the benchwork and the other section a seperate piece of benchowrk or a if scenic divider. If it is the benchwork edge you may find it hard to have the switch there when you drill holes and try to mount your under layout drives.

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Thanks for the reply.

The joke is it's not Miami as, yes it has been over done, The layout could be set in any big city that has a 51st. It's not modeled after anything other than what I see in my head.
The sothern point will be placed back so the servo will clear the end of the edge.

OK, back to building the benchwork.

Auzze
steinjr Wrote: ... Yes. It has been a sourceforge freeware project ... up until July 15th 2010 ... Code is frozen at the moment, but version 4.0.3 is still available for download from sourceforge (see below). ... Can be downloaded from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/ ....... Stein

Just let me say that I had "been there" prior to asking the question, but all my super-buttoned-down security software balked and opened ever-increasingly larger warning windows advising me to "turn back." The main objection seemed to be the lack of some sort of signature. But Stein Jr., if you vouch for it, I'll tell my security to "step aside" and let this one through!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
HI..

As I have been a long time FRISCO fan I decided to re-name my layout and move it down south. It's the same layout but running FRISCO locos and rolling stock., which I now have the start of a nice collection.

---- Layout update ----

I have started to lay some track which is coming along very nicely. I'm hoping to have it all lay by the week-end and run a loco very it to make sure it's running, then I will start wiring it all.
I was hoping to post a few images but my camera is away on camp.

OK, more later
Auzze
The SourceForge download of XtrackCAD is safe, your browser is just being overzealous.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
AuzzeMit Wrote:I have started to lay some track which is coming along very nicely. I'm hoping to have it all lay by the week-end and run a loco very it to make sure it's running, then I will start wiring it all. I was hoping to post a few images but my camera is away on camp.

Have fun withthe trackwork! And get your camera back! We want pictures!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times