Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures...
ngauger Wrote:.....and the file sizes are 600 H X 800 W X 125 k.. so you can see where the pictures were too large.. i never had a picture become a larger file after I shrunk it.. Sad That's strange...

Well, I seem to be able to do it with some regularity: I went to a picture very similar to the one that I was trying to upload last night. It had already been re-sized to 800x600, but was actually 800x604, but was only 95 Kb. I re-sized it to 795x600 and the Kb went to 134. Eek Of course, it wouldn't upload. I then re-re-sized it to 795x600 (the size that it already was) and, without changing anything else, the Kb went to 79.7. 35 35 35 The picture uploaded fine on the next try, but this seems like an awfully convoluted process just to get a photo into the Gallery.

I also noticed, last night while I was sitting here talking to myself Misngth that a sub-album is limited to 100 images. If this upload business ever gets straightened out, I'll have to make the albums like encyclopedias - Volume I, Volume II,.... Goldth
Or, by any chance, could the Gallery be, shall we say, "difficult by design"? Wink Goldth

Wayne
Now "THAT" I'm already aware of (max 100 pics) LOL I'll extend the gallery's when you ask them to be made larger Smile Smile

We're flying blind here - this is all new to us - and we're learning with you.. LOL
Ok - seriously - You're beta testing everything for us!!!! Smile As you find things that are wrong, we'll fix them as fast as we can... Smile

The photo editor I use is Photostudio 5.5 It is really nice at cropping and re-sizing. And i very seldom have problems uploading. I know it's a pain, but we have to keep the individual pictures relatively small, so we CAN post hundreds of them..

And we really do appreciate you trying and not giving up, You're doing things that Don & I have very little time to do.. And we're watching here for any comments or requests that you have, to make it better...

~~~~ Thanks Again!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I have Picture It! Express, which is easy enough to use, although it does only one photo at a time. The powertoy photo re-sizer that Charlie posted in the Tips & Tricks Forum works great doing either single photos or 400 or 500 at a time (although I get the odd 604x800 thrown in with a batch that I supposedly re-sized to 600x800). Wallbang Wallbang However, neither of these tools offers a way to downsize the Kb of the photo as a separate and distinct operation - the Kb size may become smaller as a result of some other operation, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it to a particular size.

Wayne
This forum setup isn't allowing the photos to expand the forum, that's the problem. The scrolling left to right isn't here, maybe it's not built in or an option for phpBB.

I have copied your pic on my pc and it shows up full, just so you know Cheers
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
doctorwayne Wrote:I have Picture It! Express, which is easy enough to use, although it does only one photo at a time. The powertoy photo re-sizer that Charlie posted in the Tips & Tricks Forum works great doing either single photos or 400 or 500 at a time (although I get the odd 604x800 thrown in with a batch that I supposedly re-sized to 600x800). Wallbang Wallbang However, neither of these tools offers a way to downsize the Kb of the photo as a separate and distinct operation - the Kb size may become smaller as a result of some other operation, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it to a particular size.

Wayne
Yeah - mine doesn't have a setting in itself.. When i click "Save as" it comes up with save as jpg... and it has a slidebar for setting the compression Ex: 70% that shrinks the size down to around 70-80k... sometimes I have to save it then re-open it then "save as" again to get them down to below 72k...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

tomustang Wrote:This forum setup isn't allowing the photos to expand the forum, that's the problem. The scrolling left to right isn't here, maybe it's not built in or an option for phpBB.

I have copied your pic on my pc and it shows up full, just so you know Cheers
yup - we think that's the problem too... Pat is working on moving the personal info over to the other side, so maybe that expanding will happen as soon as he moves everything over.. We'll have to see..
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

So isn't the usual format for pictures landscape? I just tried posting an 800 wide x 300 high image, and got told that it was too wide, it's only supposed to be 600 wide and 800 high?

What's up with that? I don't know anything about the engine that drives the BB, but it seems to me that on other forums I've been on, it's the overall dimensions, not specific height and width, that are the cutoff....

... I know... just what you wanted to hear.... more whinging! But really, if you're going to let us post images, let us post images, otherwise tell us to host them somewhere else. I don't mind using photobucket, but it is a PITA when you have to upload and link, versus just linking to the file on my PC.
Are you sure your picture isnt larger than 72K???? Try again - i just changed the size to 800 X 800 that way there is no more worries.... Sorry about that!!!!

But it Still HAS to be 72 K or smaller.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Are you sure your picture isnt larger than 72K???? Try again - i just changed the size to 800 X 800 that way there is no more worries.... Sorry about that!!!!

But it Still HAS to be 72 K or smaller.....

Hmm! I thought that was 125K. 35 Regardless, I've been shrinking pictures to the point that some of them are useless, but the Kb doesn't seem to drop in proportion to the physical dimensions, and, as I noted earlier, some actually grow in Kbs while the pixel size shrinks. Eek What actually determines Kb size and how can it be changed? It seems to be more-or-less independent of the 600x800 or 800x600 dimensions, so there must be a way to alter it independently, too.

Wayne
OOPs - yes - 125 Kb.. Sorry Sad Sad
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Okay, I thought that originally we were planning to be able to upload pictures directly to the Gauge's server. In fact I thought that was one of the main reasons to spend money on a dedicated server as opposed to using one of the free forum sites out there.

Now I find we are having to link to pictures hosted remotely. Okay, I have my own server space, and although that adds an extra step to the posting process, I can live with it.

However, since photo's are posted remotely, i see NO REASON for any limitations on file size. There should be none of that squeezing or cropping going on. The only reason for placing a limit on pic size is if they are being hosted here at the Gauge. Which they're not.

If this is going to operate with the same restrictions as there are at a FREE forum, than what was the point spending all that extra money, in which I have a vested interest, to have a dedicated server???????

Val
Spitfire Wrote:Okay, I thought that originally we were planning to be able to upload pictures directly to the Gauge's server. In fact I thought that was one of the main reasons to spend money on a dedicated server as opposed to using one of the free forum sites out there.

Now I find we are having to link to pictures hosted remotely. Okay, I have my own server space, and although that adds an extra step to the posting process, I can live with it.

However, since photo's are posted remotely, i see NO REASON for any limitations on file size. There should be none of that squeezing or cropping going on. The only reason for placing a limit on pic size is if they are being hosted here at the Gauge. Which they're not.

If this is going to operate with the same restrictions as there are at a FREE forum, than what was the point spending all that extra money, in which I have a vested interest, to have a dedicated server???????

Val
According to phpBB, they revised this new version to not 'stretch' the forum with pics that are bigger than the forum screen, it sucks but it how the BB program is.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
ngauger Wrote:Now "THAT" I'm already aware of (max 100 pics) LOL I'll extend the gallery's when you ask them to be made larger Smile Smile

Mikey, in addition to the 100 picture limit, there's also a limit of 10 sub-albums, which means a limit of only 1000 pics per Member. If it's a choice of either...or..., I'd prefer to see more sub-albums allowed - it makes it easier to find similar photos if they're grouped in their own sub-album, and if one gets full, it's easy enough then to start a "Volume II". I just now attempted to create a sub-album for photos of stuff that I'm trying to sell in the "Swap Meet" Forum, but was told that I had already reached my "maximum". Eek I may be getting near my limit, but, in my opinion, maximum is a long way on the other side of 1000. Goldth

Wayne
ok =- lets try this.... In chat last night -Pat & I talked about changing the limits to see if we could resolve this.

Gallery Image Settings

Upload Multiple Images 20

Maximum file size (bytes) 250000 bytes

Maximum image width (pixels) 2000

Maximum image height (pixels) 2000

Resize bigger images No

Cache resized images for image-page Yes

Maximum-width on viewing image 2000

Maximum-height on viewing image 2000

Allowed to upload GIF files Yes

Allowed to upload JPG files Yes

Allowed to upload PNG files Yes

Image Description/Comment Max Length (bytes) 512

Display Exif-data Yes

View Image-URL on imagepage Yes

I left a message with Pat, to see about adding Folders, I have no setting for that, I'm guessing it's in the Gallery code. I also set the pictures per folder to "Unlimited" at least we can add more than 100 pics per folder. We'll let you know when Pat finds out if he can change the max amount of folders.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Spitfire Wrote:Okay, I thought that originally we were planning to be able to upload pictures directly to the Gauge's server. In fact I thought that was one of the main reasons to spend money on a dedicated server as opposed to using one of the free forum sites out there.

Val

We can - whenever you post a picture in a post - it's going to big blue's part of the server.. not in the gallery. I just set the display size to 2000 X 2000 and the size is now 250 k (not 125 k)

Let me know (With Links Please) if this fixes or messes anything up.. Smile Big Grin

I think tomustang is right though - this may be something in the programming of the board itself. And were here ona private server so we don't have slowdowns for picture loading and page loading during peak hours, and also for pat's help in coding all this,. Big Grin Big Grin If Don & I were doing this (Learning as we go) we wouldn't be open yet Eek

We have nowhere near the time or knowledge Pat has as far as detailed coding and server operation.. and we need that whenever there is a problem.. Big Grin Like this one...

And who said we "have" to link remotely, or was that the size restrictions here?? I may have just fixed that Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Let me know if anything is wrong.. With links!!! We really NEED to see what the problems are.....

Thanks!!!!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75