Yet another Norwegian signing in
Hi all Smile

I've been lurking around here for a while now, figured it was time to write a few words about myself. I'm 38 y o and have "played" with Märklin AC since I was a little kid, but decided to sell everything and start over from scratch with 2-rail DCC two years ago.

I live about 17 miles from my friend Stein, who is also on this forum. While he is into heavy industrial switching in the US, my own freelanced layout-in-progress is set in the quiet Norwegian countryside somewhere in the 1930s. I'm building a small shelf layout in my storage room, with lightweight sectional benchwork constructed with 6mm (1/4") plywood glued together, inspired by Iain Rice.

Progress is slow, but I hope to start a thread in the Layout section with some pics soon.

Svein
Welcome Waveof7 Welcome SVEIN! Welcome Waveof7 Welcome
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Welcome to the forum.
It is always nice to have new material and new people to steal ideas from.
I have just started building my tenth or eleventh layout. I'm retired from a short line railroad that I ran for 14 years.
Charlie
Glad you decided to register and participate here at The Gauge. Hope to see some layout progress photos. And... any friend of Stein's is a friend of ours! Smile

Welcome
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Smile

Here's a link to a Norwegian forum with some pics of what I've done so far, including some overall pics of my "new" and refurbished storage room:
http://www.mjf.no/forum/forum_posts.asp?...gg-svein-a

Since then I've cut out the parts for the next two sections along the upper wall, but still have some work to do before I can glue them together.

Svein
Welcome aboard Svein! Glad you could join us.

Ralph
Hei Svein --

Welcome aboard !

Grin,
Stein
Svein Wrote:Hi all Smile

I've been lurking around here for a while now, figured it was time to write a few words about myself. I'm 38 y o and have "played" with Märklin AC since I was a little kid, but decided to sell everything and start over from scratch with 2-rail DCC two years ago.
I live about 17 miles from my friend Stein, who is also on this forum. While he is into heavy industrial switching in the US, my own freelanced layout-in-progress is set in the quiet Norwegian countryside somewhere in the 1930s. Svein
First, Welcome, Svein, to The-Gauge.
"The quiet Norwegian countryside somewhere in the 1930s".
I don't think there are too many of us here that have seen a layout such as you describe. I look forward to watching this happen! Thumbsup
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:First, Welcome, Svein, to The-Gauge.
"The quiet Norwegian countryside somewhere in the 1930s".
I don't think there are too many of us here that have seen a layout such as you describe. I look forward to watching this happen! Thumbsup
Pete

First, sorry for my late reply.

Actually, Pete, the scenery won't be that different from many of the rural US-based layouts I have seen. The main difference will be the engines and rolling stock, different style buildings, and of course all the small details which make (or brake) the overall impression of locale and era.

I'm a little nervous about the scenery part, as this is my first serious attempt finishing and scenicking a permanent layout. I hope it works out OK...

Svein
As Gary is beginning to discover, and as many of us have at some time had the face-to-face experience ... scenery is not so bad ... it's getting over the concern of imitating Mother Nature convincingly that's the bigger problem.

So ... my advice? Just swallow hard, grab some materials and start in ... if you don't like it ... eh! Scrape it off and try again!

We're all here for support! Thumbsup Big Grin
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
That's true, guess I'm just worrying to much. Besides, I'm jumping way ahead of myself now, still plenty of stuff to do before I can start with the scenery.

Or... Well, I guess I could start experimenting with scenery on the first section while building the framework for the second, but I'd like to have all the trackwork in place and wired first.

Svein
Welcome!! I look forward to seeing your layout go from dream to reality. Popcornbeer
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Welcome looks like big blue has a viking invasion on it's hands. 357
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Welcome or should I type... "Velkommen!"

To be honest I don't speak Norwegian, I don't speak English very well either... Misngth
WOW! :o Svein! Looking at your neatly constructed and painted benchwork makes me glad to see such care taken to arrive at a nicely finished product, even before track is laid or scenery begun. Very nice. Also makes me think I seriously overbuilt my own shelf layout with dimensional lumber and heavy plywood :oops: !

Welome to Big Blue and please continue to share with us your very fine work.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!