Worlds colliding
Two of my wife's coworkers have told her that their fathers were model railroaders. Unfortunately they aren't living now but I hear they would have liked to visit my layout.
Ralph
In the late 70's, while working as Parts Manager for our local Ford dealership, we were assigned a new service rep. I found out that he had a large O scale railroad with operating catenary. He brought his model of a Penn Central transfer caboose to show me on one of his visits. I was very impressed, completely scratchbuilt, and detailed down to the toilet paper in the John. Ralph would have really been google eyed. I never got to see the layout because he had a heart attack and died, but we had many enjoyable lunches when he came to the dealership.
Charlie
tetters Wrote:It's all in the frequencies Don. You can hear the dull rumble and thud of a train but not the high pitched cackle of the opposite sex. At least that's what I tell my wife! Confusedhock: Wink Misngth
Good point although there's something to be said about actually "feeling" the trains. I'm not sure that doesn't contribute some, even 3 miles away. My one ear has zero response at the lower frequencies, and really bad at mid to high. There are times that this plays to my advantage though so I shun wearing hearing aids to keep it that way. Icon_twisted
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ngauger Wrote:I must have been having a "Senior moment" on my last post..... I forgot - my other "Intense" hobby: Geocaching..... Lets see..... Geocaching is a game where you get a GPS and hunt for ammo cans and Tupperware hidden by other players. So - we hike along trails and other areas looking for plastic in the woods Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

~~ Along Rails to Trails paths.....
~~ Along abandoned rail lines
~~ I have 5 Geocaches that I hid, and all 5 teach some sort of Railroad History
~~ I have met 4 or 5 other Cachers that also are interested in railroading and history
~~ I've met a few people that have had relatives that worked for Baldwin Locomotive Works

Still haven't found anyone with a model railroad ...............yet Smile Smile Smile
..... But all of this is due to another hobby entirely Big Grin Big Grin

Funny - We're geocachers. too, and we're hiding stuff along along old rail grades in our area just like you are. Big Grin
Charlie B Wrote:In the late 70's, while working as Parts Manager for our local Ford dealership, we were assigned a new service rep. I found out that he had a large O scale railroad with operating catenary. He brought his model of a Penn Central transfer caboose to show me on one of his visits. I was very impressed, completely scratchbuilt, and detailed down to the toilet paper in the John. Ralph would have really been google eyed. I never got to see the layout because he had a heart attack and died, but we had many enjoyable lunches when he came to the dealership.
Charlie

I would have been! I have such admiration for modeling at that level. I'm sorry you never had a chance to see the layout but I'm glad you got to know him and saw some of his work.
When we were new to Brampton we tried to start a folk dance group. At one arts function we met an older couple from the Scottish group and we found that they had a son into model railways. He's now one of my closer friends in the Platelayers. Their daughter was our vet for a while and their other son used to own the house behind us!
When I started work, the fellow I worked under thought it was good for an actuary to have a bit of "eccentricity".
And one of the men at the Horticultural society used to be a driver in England.

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Talk about a coincidence.

Attached Files Image(s)

Charlie - I assume the dogs were the reason for the party? Goldth That's great! Great stories so far Cheers .
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
So ... Saluda, N.C. is the steepest grade in the country, huh? Hmmm! I had been under the impression that the grade out of the Wyoming Valley (out of Scranton, PA) was the steepest, but maybe it's just one of the steepest.

I have a photo in one of my books of a coal drag coming up out of that valley, and as I recall the photo, counting the smoke plumes, there are five locos at the point, four amidships and another six at the rear, pushing, with the little bobber tacked on behind. I can't say for sure what's up front, but all of the power leaning against the load at the rear are Consolidations. My guess is that all of the firemen are busy shoveling!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:So ... Saluda, N.C. is the steepest grade in the country, huh? Hmmm! I had been under the impression that the grade out of the Wyoming Valley (out of Scranton, PA) was the steepest, but maybe it's just one of the steepest.

I have a photo in one of my books of a coal drag coming up out of that valley, and as I recall the photo, counting the smoke plumes, there are five locos at the point, four amidships and another six at the rear, pushing, with the little bobber tacked on behind. I can't say for sure what's up front, but all of the power leaning against the load at the rear are Consolidations. My guess is that all of the firemen are busy shoveling!

I think it was called the steepest "mainline" railroad grade. If you want to count branchlines or spurs, steeper grades exist. If you want to count narrow gauge or logging lines, there were/are even steeper grades. I think a portion of the Cass Scenic Railroad in WV is around 11%. And of course, rack railroads or incline railways were built even steeper than that.
--
Kevin
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
A couple of years ago, we were working on the Nebo side of the military base in Barstow, CA. Some questions arose as to the rail service just outside the fence and within the base... logistics and what not. A couple of the other employees I was working with knew I was into trains so I was able to help with the "railroad" aspect of the project.
I bring MRR mag with me to my kids doctors appts, as well as my own appts. My doctor saw what I was reading, and that sparked a conversation. It turns out that he is very much into model railroading, he also introduced me to a friend of his, who lives in my neighborhood, The guy he introduced me to, I know through our neighborhood watch program. He has a massive basement layout. My doc and I are part of his regular operating crew.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
I think it's funny how there are many MRR's among us that we don't know about. I've said it before, MRRing is a lot like a moped......mopeds are really fun and cool, you just don't want your friends to know you ride one! Icon_lol
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:I think it's funny how there are many MRR's among us that we don't know about. I've said it before, MRRing is a lot like a moped......mopeds are really fun and cool, you just don't want your friends to know you ride one! Icon_lol

It's not one of those hobbies that is visible. If someone's hobby is vintage cars, then you see them driving around in their cars or at least working on them in the driveway. Most of us have designated "train rooms" (usually the basement) that are out off the way, and definitely not visible to the street. And, it is not a hobby that requires group participation, such as sports. You are much less likely to meet another train enthusiast at random. You could have a neighbor down the street who has a huge basement layout - but you would never know it unless somehow the subject comes up. Their wife may not like train decorations in the living room, and the only times you talk are to discuss neighborhood subjects.
--
Kevin
scubadude Wrote:I think it's funny how there are many MRR's among us that we don't know about. I've said it before, MRRing is a lot like a moped......mopeds are really fun and cool, you just don't want your friends to know you ride one! Icon_lol

I heard that same quote, but it has to do with a much less tasteful subject.
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.