Southern Pacific Switching Layout
Justinmiller171 Wrote:4. While waiting for the doors I figured I could make a few changes to the track-plan while I was waiting, The main difference is that I changed the scenery from forest to Industrial park,

The main differences seems to be that you

a) have changed the footprint (now you have a shorter L and wider L against the left and top wall instead of a longer and narrower L against the top and right wall in your drawing - you have decided how to fit your layout into your room, right? ), and

b) you have reintroduced several switchbacks for the industries along the left wall in the drawing, and have no work space to temporarily store cars while switching.

I'd recommend leaving well enough alone and stay with your previous track plan. It was fairly good. If you want fewer trees, just replace the trees in the corner with buildings.

But your layout, your call.

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:The main differences seems to be that you

a) have changed the footprint (now you have a shorter L and wider L against the left and top wall instead of a longer and narrower L against the top and right wall in your drawing - you have decided how to fit your layout into your room, right? )

My earlier plan didn't have the correct dimensions for the benchwork, the latest plan has the correct dimensions and well as the correct placement along the walls.

steinjr Wrote:b) you have reintroduced several switchbacks for the industries along the left wall in the drawing, and have no work space to temporarily store cars while switching.

The industrial park I used for inspiration has a few switchbacks like the one I used. The team-track has a stretch of track before it that will be used to store cars, it can hold about 4 cars which is more than enough since each industry will not hold more than about 3-4 cars at a time.

steinjr Wrote:I'd recommend leaving well enough alone and stay with your previous track plan. It was fairly good. If you want fewer trees, just replace the trees in the corner with buildings.

Once I visualized that plan in 3-d I realized that it is too compressed and it is too cluttered, the run-around takes up too much space and overall the plan just doesn't feel right. But I hate to get into another track-plan discussion so I use this plan for now, and then if I don't like it I will change back to my previous plan. Thanks for the help anyways! Thumbsup
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:2. When I went to disassemble my Miami Layout I discovered that when I soldered the track together it melted the plastic parts that kept the rail against the ties. So the track is pretty much unusable now :cry: , However this does give me an excuse to upgrade to Micro-Engineering track Big Grin .

Umm... you didn't melt all the ties did you? Just at the ends where you used rail joiners or installed feeders right? I would hardly call the track unusable. You can easily repair the damaged ties with wood or plastic ones slipped underneath the rail. While the appeal of the ME track is nice, you would be best advised to repair and reuse your existing track instead of plunking down coin on new track just because of a few melted ties.

Just my 2 cents. Popcornbeer
tetters Wrote:Umm... you didn't melt all the ties did you? Just at the ends where you used rail joiners or installed feeders right? I would hardly call the track unusable. You can easily repair the damaged ties with wood or plastic ones slipped underneath the rail. While the appeal of the ME track is nice, you would be best advised to repair and reuse your existing track instead of plunking down coin on new track just because of a few melted ties.

My main Concern was that the melted ties made the track out of gauge, but I guess once I connect them to other pieces of track The track should go back into gauge. I just bought a bag of wooden ties at the hobby store the last time I was in there, looks like I will finally find a use for them! Thanks Tetters Thumbsup

Benchwork Will start by the end of the week, so stay tuned for pictures!
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:
tetters Wrote:Umm... you didn't melt all the ties did you? Just at the ends where you used rail joiners or installed feeders right? I would hardly call the track unusable. You can easily repair the damaged ties with wood or plastic ones slipped underneath the rail. While the appeal of the ME track is nice, you would be best advised to repair and reuse your existing track instead of plunking down coin on new track just because of a few melted ties.

My main Concern was that the melted ties made the track out of gauge, but I guess once I connect them to other pieces of track The track should go back into gauge. I just bought a bag of wooden ties at the hobby store the last time I was in there, looks like I will finally find a use for them! Thanks Tetters Thumbsup

Benchwork Will start by the end of the week, so stay tuned for pictures!

Invest in an HO scale NMRA Track Guage. So when you connect the track again you can check to make sure everything is well within the acceptable tolerances. When you solder the joints use some wet paper towels to act as a heat sink. This will help keep the heat to a minimum and hopefully keep your ties from melting. Pre-tinning the rail helps too and allows you to work quicker and avoid prolonged application of heat from your soldering iron. I think I know a little thing or two about soldering too... Misngth

[Image: DSC03138.jpg?t=1251041371]
Impressive work, Mr. Tetters! Worship
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I will be getting the doors for the bench work tomorrow so construction can finally begin. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Justin Miller
Justin,

It better!!!!!!!!!
Waveof7
and we want photos!!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I got the doors today but unfortunately there will be no photos until tomorrow.
Justin Miller
I Have A Photo!!! Goldth

[Image: HPIM4454.jpg?t=1288557656]

I moved the first door into my room today, keep in mind that I bought this at the "Re-store" and it has some cosmetic damage, but I will be putting a sheet of pink foam over it anyways. The door hasn't been put against the wall yet, it is just resting on top of my dresser for now, I just put some track on it for illustrative purposes, but it was a huge moral booster to see some benchwork up, and taking my first photo of the layout Misngth .
Justin Miller
Cool stuff Justin. And good to see you making use of an old door. Have fun! Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
WHOO HOOO.....YEAH TRACK ON BENCHWORK!!!!

Congrats Justin !!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:WHOO HOOO.....YEAH TRACK ON BENCHWORK!!!!

Congrats Justin !!!

I told you I would have some benchwork up by the end of the month Goldth

In the next few days I will attach the doors to the wall using shelf brackets, then all I will have to do is get some sheets of foam to put over them and then benchwork will be done.
Justin Miller
Benchwork is starting today!

The only local trainshow for me is next sunday and I can't begin to tell you how excited I am! 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
I have been saving up money for awhile now and I am planning on getting a dcc and sound-equipped engine, but I will probably come back with much more. I will be sure to take plenty of pictures while I am there Goldth

I will post some pictures of the completed benchwork later today so be sure to check back soon!
Justin Miller
It may be a dumb question, but Do you have a DCC control system?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!