A few industries for possible modeling
Just thought I'd put these up....someone might be able to use these for ideas. These are a few local industries we have around here that are rail served. I will try to get more shots from the ground as time permits.

First up is American Plastic Toys in Walled Lake.

From above
[Image: 5060122998_ceeb7505ff_b.jpg]

You can see one of the unloading hoses on the left.
[Image: 5059570203_7df3771fa1_b.jpg]

Korex in Wixom, this is what they make: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.korex-us.com/prodoffer.html">http://www.korex-us.com/prodoffer.html</a><!-- m -->
[Image: 5059628707_f62e193e0e_b.jpg]

As you can see, they have a little Plymouth to shuffle cars around.
[Image: 5059628775_e84f7d9eb3_b.jpg]

Tower Automotive in Plymouth, MI - They build truck frames.
[Image: 5060272734_126a6d7975_b.jpg]

[Image: 5060272776_9146af8841_b.jpg]

Inland Plywood in Pontiac. They deal with mostly Marine type panels, here's what they sell: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.inlandplywood.com/products.htm">http://www.inlandplywood.com/products.htm</a><!-- m --> Nice small industry that doesn't take up much space.

[Image: 5060484198_d4fa35e02c_b.jpg]

[Image: 5059871457_4655273dde_b.jpg]
Mike
Here are a couple of examples of an industry I'm including on my future switching layout. Coca-Cola/Pepsi Cola bottling plant (Coke is my preference)
First we have a shot of the Pepsi Plant and their corn syrup unloading facility in nearby Lexington, KY     This plant is located on the former Southern Railway Lexington-Versailles-Lawrenceburg branch, now operated by R J Corman. Only two of the tank cars can be unloaded at a time, although the short spur (constructed when the line was operated by Gulf & Ohio Railways as the Lexington & Ohio Railroad).
Here's another example of a Coca-Cola plant in Marietta, GA, located on an industrial spur. This was former Louisville & Nashville track, now operated by the Georgia Northeastern Railroad     Besides being a great destination for the tank cars, what appeals to me is that I can place this facility along the front edge of the layout and only need model the concrete pad, a small pump house and some piping, with the main building being "suggested" as Lance Mindheim would say. Could add the cat-walk as on the Pepsi Plant if desired.
Most of the tank cars I see at the Lexington Pepsi plant seem to be Tate & Lyle (A E Staley), but the ones at the Coke plant look like all ADM.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
With today's generic "box" architecture, you can make anything into whatever you like. Trouble is, these industries and the buildings they come in have no character or soul. Take the sign off the outside and no one has a clue what they do.

Must be easy to model, though.
MountainMan Wrote:With today's generic "box" architecture, you can make anything into whatever you like. Trouble is, these industries and the buildings they come in have no character or soul. Take the sign off the outside and no one has a clue what they do.

They are indeed..I know fella at the N Scale club that used a cigar box and made a nice modern manufacturing plant simply by adding metal siding,doors and dock doors..He has several scratchbuilt modern structures including my favorite Wanda's Potato Chips made from a small flat USPS shipping box.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Quote:With today's generic "box" architecture, you can make anything into whatever you like. Trouble is, these industries and the buildings they come in have no character or soul. Take the sign off the outside and no one has a clue what they do.

I think the modern box type buildings get their character and or soul from colour and the surounding scenery.I know that is the plan I use for my layouts.The challenge is to take that modern big box building and make it yours.

Aside from that I have seen a lot of older buildings in my town that are truely souless.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:
Quote:With today's generic "box" architecture, you can make anything into whatever you like. Trouble is, these industries and the buildings they come in have no character or soul. Take the sign off the outside and no one has a clue what they do.

I think the modern box type buildings get their character and or soul from colour and the surounding scenery.I know that is the plan I use for my layouts.The challenge is to take that modern big box building and make it yours.

Aside from that I have seen a lot of older buildings in my town that are truely souless.

I agree..These modern box buildings is a must for modern modelers..

Nothing looks as funky as a small industry that has a 50' boxcar at its dock especially if it appears a 53' trailer would overwhelm the receiving/shipping dock. Confusedhock:
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:I agree..These modern box buildings is a must for modern modelers..
Nothing looks as funky as a small industry that has a 50' boxcar at its dock especially if it appears a 53' trailer would overwhelm the receiving/shipping dock. Confusedhock:
Second the motion! I think the so-called "shoe box" buildings have their own distinctive character. Different methods of construction, roof angles and details, additions to the original structure, etc. A large modern looking structure that spots 4 or 5 cars at specific doors/spots looks far more realistic than a small structure that could barely justify rail service.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"