joefryfry's layout - The Waynesburg Southern
This will be my running thread for my layout. My layout will be inspired by the Waynesburg Southern, a piece of the Norfolk Southern trackage that runs from Waynesburg, PA down into West Virginia and serves Federal #2, and Blacksville #1 and 2 mines. A link to the history of the rails can be found here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wvrail.railfan.net/mga_past.html">http://www.wvrail.railfan.net/mga_past.html</a><!-- m -->
"You did NOT cut a hole in the wall for the train, did you?" - the wife
The Waynesburg Southern
Blue Mountain Aerial Mapping
I'm sure we will all be watching your progress. That is an interesting line you have picked to model. Many of the coal trains on the Conemaugh line originate in that area
Have a Merry Christmas
Charlie
Here's a sketch of the final layout plan:

[Image: Sketch.jpg]
The Waynesburg Southern
Here's Phase I, above the dogs.

[Image: Phase1.JPG]
The Waynesburg Southern
Here's Phase II, some foam added. Phase III, soon, will have most of the track laid except for the elevated track coming out from the helix.

[Image: Phase2.JPG]
The Waynesburg Southern
Coming right along! That foam does not look very thick. How thick is it?
It's only 1/2". The only ground changes on this side of the wall will be the hills.
The Waynesburg Southern
joefryfry Wrote:It's only 1/2". The only ground changes on this side of the wall will be the hills.
Your off to a good start. If you were to goto thicker foam base you would have many more options available for creeks rivers and bridges if the desire arises for that sort of thing.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Here's Phase III. Look familiar?

[Image: PhaseIII.JPG]
The Waynesburg Southern
Here's the final lower plan. All in all the track work was pretty good. I'd give myself about a B-. I still have some cleaning up to do on the inside of the rails and fiddling with the turnouts a little, and maybe add another feeder or two. I spent the better part of yesterday soldering turnout wires until I went to Lowe's and discovered butt splices. I don't know how reliable they are, but they saved me hours. There's 11 turnouts on this little layout. I am too hard on equipment to use ground throws. I thought rail joiners were a pain in HO, man were they no fun to work with in N. I ran across some of my HO track this weekend. It looks like O after working with N. I got my bridge for the upper part this weekend. It of course comes in a kit that I'm not in the mood to start yet and it may not have all I need for it. Stupid kits. I wasn't sure how well the helix would work, but I was pleasantly suprised with this. I've never done one. It is pretty stout considering the design. I will probably regret not painting the wood. The grade on it is 2% max and my little engine can only pull about 4 cars up it, which is the reason for the yard. I don't know much about operations, so I created some. I had two goals: turn trains without lifting them or backing into a wye, and to gain elevation to use a bridge. To create operations, I made a little yard to hold cars while the engine took a few at a time up and around the loop that is elevated after the helix. If I ever get finished with this side of the wall, the other side of the wall gives me 12 feet of space to make a more realistic operation line with space for the town of Waynesburg, and a river load out. It will probably be quite a while until I update this again as I have to build this bridge and paint our unborn child's room, among other things like getting very busy at work and reading baby books. Comments are welcome. Thanks.

[Image: PhaseIVb.JPG]
[Image: PhaseIVa.JPG]
The Waynesburg Southern
Gonna be nice Thumbsup Trains on those broad curves in back will look good !
Just curios, how did you fasten the helix to the table?

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Nice job , I'd give an A for the helix. It'll be interesting to see what you do with the upper level for the helix entrance.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Look like that will be a fun layout when it's done.
I'm developing a real fascination with helix layouts.
CANNONBALL
Baby likes to rock it like a boogie-woogie choo-choo train!
I give you kudos Joe for pulling that helix off Thumbsup Thumbsup I think you have done a great job for getting the most out of a small space while still keeping it fun to operate Thumbsup Misngth

Maybe i missed it somewhere, but what radius is the helix?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
nomad Wrote:Gonna be nice Thumbsup Trains on those broad curves in back will look good !
Just curios, how did you fasten the helix to the table?

Loren

Thanks. I have a problem with layouts that force too much track into layout, which is about what I am doing here.
The Waynesburg Southern