Scubadude's Texas & Carolina RR
Richard,

Because you have "inverted" the yard tracks (or at least the single/stub-ended ones) there is no need to have a yard lead at the bottom right any more.

A yard lead is meant to provide track for the yard to be switched that does not interfere with the mainline. It should be as long as your longest track in the yard (or at the very least as long as the longest cut of cars you'd ever move at once).

Since you cannot (by design) pull a cut of cars out of those single-ended sidings towards the town, there is no need for a lead at that point.

One other thing that occurred to me is that you might want to provide a run-around or engine escape at the Furniture Factory so you don't have to run the whole branchline in reverse.

Andrew
Cheers

That branchline is also bugging me....You can do as Andrew suggests, or work in a return loop in there. You could get the necessary turning radius by moving the tracks to the other side of the factory.
Gus (LC&P).
Hi again,

I suggest that you use/modify the latest plan as follows:

Note that the light blue line serves as the yard lead in this version.

The yellow tracks (double ended sidings) act as arrival/departure tracks. The double-endedness is good as it allows trains to arrive or depart in either direction.

You eliminate the light green track and connect the branch line closer to the town (thick black line). This eliminates the requirement to keep your arrival track clear since the branchline (as drawn) connects directly to it.

As mentioned in posts above, you move the passing siding from behind the town to near the Furniture Factory (or put an engine escape in at the factory).

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

I hate to post unless I have something constructive to share, but it doesn't seem like a very 'scene-scere' plan. That is, unless there's some sort of vertical or other visual separation (like a scenic element), the branch line industries could just as easily be served by a siding off the main line. The branch sort of clutters up the layout in that case and relies on alot of imagination to be a really separate entity from the main line.

If it were me, I'd let the branchline climb after it leaves the yard, even a tiny amount, before reaching the passing track and sidings next to the town opposite the yard. Put in a creek or some sort of scenic element between the branch/town and the yard. The visual separation plus the scenic element will serve to create a sense of distance between the two areas. PLUS, the town buildings will hide the main line sneaking away behind them.

Then let the branch climb a stiff grade out of town. If the main were to drop down as the branch climbs, you could have some fun by snaking the branch back toward the main, and bringing the main away from the wall so that they cross each other twice. Add a river or rock formation to suggest a reason for this diversion. This way your trains on the red line won't be hidden for as long and will occasionally appear through the scene.

Finally, I'd send the main and passing track into a deep cut alongside the furniture factory and maybe a tunnel taking it toward the back drop. Instead of running the line to the distillery off the main, have the branch line continue from the furniture factory across the main (which is in a tunnel or deep cut at this point, remember). In fact, you wouldn't even need a tunnel if the main sneaks off toward the backdrop through the cut and behind some trees. Now your branchline really has some serious traffic flow.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Good stuff guys. Andrew, thanks for clearing up the mud in my head as to how to place the yard lead. I will make the changes and see how it flies. Steamtrains, should the loop around the factory switch back onto the mainline at the top? Having trouble visualizing it.
Galen, I have neglected to put elevations and other scenic elements on the plan, your suggestions are right on.

I've got to get in the pool tonight to teach, I will play with your suggestions later tonight.

Thanks a million, this is the kind of help I need, I'm getting brain dead 35 Ready to start construction....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Richard,

Here's a rough sketch with a couple of the ideas I mentioned, plus a new one - making the main into an up-n-over figure 8 for more visual interest.

I hope this helps to explain better some of what I was describing. Like I said it is VERY rough - just a sketch - with very little detail as far as sidings, etc. However the main line is there along with the branch. No elevations just arrows indicating generally where the grade begins.

Essentially the lowest point on the railroad is the main line where it passes under itself and the branch. I suggested a river there for a blockbuster scenic opportunity. However, if you didn't want the main to pass over itself you could let it cross itself at a grade with a nice interlocking tower. Add a staging track behind the town on the right and the branch on the left and you could simulate all kinds of interesting operation, suggesting two different rail lines crossing.

Add a connecting track at the crossing from one side to the other and you could simulate interchanges. If the branch line is actually a short line then voila, you've got three railroads! Add another connecting line behind the crossing (hidden) and each road could come out of staging, run through the crossing from either direction (E-W or N-S movements) and return to either staging. Loads could be shipped from the MKT to the Santa Fe via the interchange then delivered by the Mexicali Southern, based in the yard, to the distillery. You get the idea.

Anyway, if you didn't want to get all that into operations its still an interesting plan. The main for continous running and the branch for switching. Fun indeed. The creek could also be a highway, a dry wash, or concrete drainage channel and still provide an interesting scenic break between the yard and the first town on the branch.

Galen
Richard...The reverse loop would double back on itself. That way, the train coming towards your industries (engine first) would get turned around and be facing the way it came, and so you can service your industries in reverse, then head back to the main yard.
I'd draw you a picture, but have no clue how to use any of the drawing software.... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Here is V.9.0 of the trackplan, trying to take into consideration what you all have suggested. Like you, I have been unsure about the long branch line to the furniture factory. I like the scenic opportunities at the top of the layout it enables, but I don't like how it basically only goes from the yard to the factory and back. I could add another stop along the way for a little more point-to-point operation. Taking Steamtrain's thoughts, I simply added a turnout to continue around the factory back onto the mainline. I didn't want to create a reverse loop.....I'ma 'skeered of wiring, and a reverse loop really 'skeers me! Confusedhock: I also created a small run-around for the engine within the factory. Don't know if that's allowed or not. I eliminated the bottom inside loop and connected to the main. I also added the team track and transfer facility directly off one of the arrival/departure tracks from the yard. Galen, I'll get to your scenic suggestions next, I haven't forgotten you....

OK, boys, let me know what your thoughts are. As you can tell, trackplanning is the most frustrating part for me, probably one of the big reasons I haven't been able to complete the 2 or 3 previous attempts at building my railroad. I'm really not a stupid guy, but this makes me feel REAL stupid :oops:

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

Richard,

I'm still a pencil and paper kind of planner. I have tried XtrkCad a few times and can never seem to stick with it long enough to become proficient. Give me a compass, ruler, mechanical pencil and a sheet of graph paper and I'm happy. Look into John Armstrong's doodling 'by the squares' approach for rough sketching ideas. I also have a decent track planning template that I like and there are a couple out there for not too much cash.

I hope my rough sketch isn't too rough to understand. If it is please say so and I'll spend a few minutes making a cleaner version to scale.

Galen
I agree, the only reason this plan is in MS Paint is because that's how Byron Henderson originally put it down. I can use the Paint well enough to get this far. I have tried the XTrkCad and just got more frustrated. I really don't want to spend hobby $$$$ on software, rather put it into track and turnouts. My biggest problem is I just can't seem to visualize from my head to paper to benchwork. My first attempt at a layout a couple of years ago wasn't too bad, it was an L-shaped loop with a couple turn outs. As I followed more and more threads on THE Gauge, my "givens and druthers" has grown to take operations more into consideration. Despite reading several books on the subject and learning from you all, I still don't understand operations as well as I'd like to. So for me, that has complicated the process a lot, not to mention I can't seem to make up my mind on some of what I want on the layout. I want to get this planning phase right so I don't have any regrets later. I imagine once I start laying track, this plan will change here and there quite a bit.

Galen, I really appreciate your interest in helping me out. I like your ideas about elevations and such, especially the deep cut near the furniture complex. I have 2 bridges I want to use...a tall curved wooden trestle and a large truss bridge. I am looking for a waterfall/river scene and a tunnel as well. I don't want to take your time away from your layout, but if you have any ideas about bridges and tunnels I would appreciate it.

Thanks also to the others for your input, it is a great help, keep it coming.....I'm chompin' at the bit to start laying track...
Cheers
Cheers,
Richard

Quote:I want to get this planning phase right so I don't have any regrets later. I imagine once I start laying track, this plan will change here and there quite a bit.

Current layout building trends are towards being able to modify your layout after you start building. That's not a bad idea but it seems to me sometimes to be a substitute for good planning. As long as you have a plan ahead of time (and that plan includes the ability to make modifications later) you shouldn't have to make many major changes. This is one of the supposed advantages of L Girder benchwork, an ability to change cross member position to adapt to design changes. Nice to know you could do that, if you had to, I guess, but how many of us will really reach that point or ever need to make those changes? Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I've never drawn a plan for an N scale layout before, so this oughta be a challenge. I'll see what I can do this week.

Galen