Remembrance Day
Hello Everyone---At this time of the year I always think about all of our brave members of our Armed Forces,especially those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in order to provide the freedom that we have today---God bless them all.
This year I am also reminded of the sacrifices of these valiant warriors parents---during a holiday trip this year I met the parents of a Canadian soldier whose son was killed in Afghanistan---on November the eleventh,I will also remember their sacrifice.
To all members of our Armed Forces and our Allies,past and present,I am eternally grateful
Mr. Nutbar, let it be knnown that this American stands in utmost respect of the Canadian soldiers who are serving and have served their nation. And a thought and prayer goes out for their families also. What an honor it is to share a planet with the bravest amongst us.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
My grandfather just recently passed away at the age of 90. He served in the US marine corps in the pacific during World War II as an aircraft mechanic. The marine corps sent representatives to his funeral, draped his casket with a flag, and honored his service. It was extremely touching.

After the war, he never discussed the war with his children or wife. His only comments were a humorous story about the Japanese bombing the latrine, and other than that he simply said, "that is over, and something I would rather forget". But, in reminiscing with family members after the funeral, we pieced together part of his military service, and realized that it had a significant impact on his later life. I think he realized that the fighters were all ordinary people with ordinary lives, who fought and died for reasons they mostly didn't understand. I don't think he ever reconciled the reasons why people could be persuaded to inflict harm upon one another instead of respecting each other's differences. As the marines in attendance listened to the stories of my grandfather, an kindred experience appeared within their facial expressions.

I shook the marines' hands after the funeral, and expressed thanks on behalf of my family. I am not sure if my grandfather would have cared whether the marines were present at his funeral, but I think he would have appreciated that all who knew him learned something from his life, a life shaped by witnessing the suffering and confusion of war.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
My grandfather also was in the Marines in the Pacfic during WWII. He never spoke of his time in the service other then how they used to call him 'Pops' in boot camp - he was in his 30's when drafted. All I know was that he was at Okinawa and Iwo Jima - which pretty much tells me why this PA Dutch farmer, who until then had never been more than a day's ride from the house he was born in, did not speak of his experiences.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
I agree with all of this as well.

My Dad, from whom I "inherited" my railway interest, served in WW2 as a Dispatch Rider on a motorcycle. His group of Canadians entered Sicily and then Italy in 1943. My Dad has a nervous disorder that was brought on by the war and, sadly, he had a stroke in 1994 and died of pneumonia in 1999. My Uncle, his brother, is still living (almost 88) and he saw active combat.

So I will continue to remember those who have sacrificed their lives for us, on Nov. 11.

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
My crew had the honor of flying the remains of a fallen Canadian Army NCO from Kandahar to Bagram for his last flight home when I was last in Afghanistan. Standing with the Canadian soldiers were US Army, USAF, and French soldiers, all paying their respects to one so young that paid the ultimate price to protect his country. At a time like that, the only thing that mattered was making sure the utmost respect and honor was paid to that fallen soldier. It didn't matter what uniform anyone wore that night, only that we were all in the same fight, and one of our own was going home.

For those who have not seen that fallen comrade ceremony before...let me say it changes you forever. I didn't know that young Canadian soldier, didn't know his family or where he was from, didn't know where he was going to. But a brother in arms had died and that's all that mattered. It was our job to pay him the highest respect we could for his sacrifice.

It's our job here at home to remember them...remember the fallen, and remember those who still serve. That is all you hope for when you're serving in a time of war so far from home. When you're sitting there half a world away from family and friends, you hope somebody remembers and cares about what you're doing. You hope somebody else thinks your sacrifice is worth it.

Remember them.

Mark
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Herc, well put. Thank you for sharing that and thank you for your service. We are fortunate to have you here at Big Blue.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
nachoman Wrote:I don't think he ever reconciled the reasons why people could be persuaded to inflict harm upon one another instead of respecting each other's differences.

I think the "reason", was most clearly stated in the prologue to" The Lord Of The Rings- The Fellowship of The Ring"
"....and nine rings were given to the race of men, who above all things, desire power "

I was one of the lucky ones. BuPers never sent me "in country". I served with men who later died in Viet Nam, this Remembrance Day / Veterans Day, as every year I will remember them.
" Freedom requires ( demands ) eternal vigilance ".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
FOR THE FALLEN

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

- LAURENCE BINYON
My father died Feb 3rd of this year at age 96, a veteran of OMAHA Beach. He refused to speak of that day, and the decoration he received, except to say that it was "hell" itself. He was honored at his funeral by the honor detail from Fort Carson.
MountainMan Wrote:My father died Feb 3rd of this year at age 96, a veteran of OMAHA Beach. He refused to speak of that day, and the decoration he received, except to say that it was "hell" itself. He was honored at his funeral by the honor detail from Fort Carson.

Interesting. My Dad really enjoyed talking about the War -- he would go on and on with his stories. My uncle, on the other hand, almost never talks about it. He will only share details with a few very close family members & even this is rare.

I think the difference is that my Dad did not see armed combat but my uncle did. I've heard a theory that if you saw armed combat, you DON'T want to talk about it because it was so horrible. I'm not downplaying my Dad's experience in the war by any means, but I think there might be some truth to this. Even though my Dad's experience was terrifying, it was still not as horrible as armed combat.

At any rate, let us remember those who suffered & died for our countries and freedom from all of our allied nations, especially our closest ones.

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
RobertInOntario Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:My father died Feb 3rd of this year at age 96, a veteran of OMAHA Beach. He refused to speak of that day, and the decoration he received, except to say that it was "hell" itself. He was honored at his funeral by the honor detail from Fort Carson.

Interesting. My Dad really enjoyed talking about the War -- he would go on and on with his stories. My uncle, on the other hand, almost never talks about it. He will only share details with a few very close family members & even this is rare.

I think the difference is that my Dad did not see armed combat but my uncle did. I've heard a theory that if you saw armed combat, you DON'T want to talk about it because it was so horrible. I'm not downplaying my Dad's experience in the war by any means, but I think there might be some truth to this. Even though my Dad's experience was terrifying, it was still not as horrible as armed combat.

At any rate, let us remember those who suffered & died for our countries and freedom from all of our allied nations, especially our closest ones.

Rob

I think you're definitely on to something there. My other grandfather was in the Navy in WWII, carpenter's mate on a destroyer based out of Washington State. I don't know if he ever saw combat, he never talked about it. All I have is his Bluejacket's Manual, 1942 edition, and some letters he wrote back to my Dad, who was in his early teens at the time. Most of them only talk about the interesting places he saw along the way through basic training and finally to his assignment. There are none after that.
My Dad, he was in the Navy during Korea, but the ships he served on were attached to (I think) the 6th Fleet, and spent their time cruising in the Med. He was full of stories, and also had built up an interesting coin collection from places like Spain, Algeria, Italy, and Libya.
To those who have served, in whatever capacity, I sincerely appreciate the sacrifices you have made. It's something I honestly don't think I could have done, at least not voluntarily. You have my eternal gratitude for doing it on behalf of all of those who didn't.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
I, too, served during the Vietnam "Conflict." I lost quite a few friends; a couple from high school and a larger number from my time in the military. Because of my job objectives in the Army Security Agency, I never saw combat - mine was an intelligence gathering responsibility.

Abraham Lincoln is quoted as having said, "The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each Soldier, Sailor, Airman & Marine who has died protecting it."

I fly Old Glory every day, from sunrise to sunset. I salute it after it's gone up and I salute it prior to it coming down. I was asked by a neighbor one afternoon out by the mailbox why I do that. The answer was, "Because it's the right thing to do!"

I remember those who have died so that we may be free every day. On Veterans/Remembrance Day, I make a day of it.

Unfortunately, not enough people take the time today to consider how fortunate we are to be able to live free, in a land that defends the right to be free and not have to exist under the constraints of tyranny. Nor do they pause to consider that we are free because others unselfishly gave their lives to insure our freedom. They take it for granted.

The words at the bottom of my signature are there to remind us all ...
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
It might sound corny, but I've started thanking people who fly the flag on their lawns or homes whenever I'm in uniform. Just to let them know that at least one person who is still serving really appreciates their actions and patriotism.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Herc Driver Wrote:It might sound corny, but I've started thanking people who fly the flag on their lawns or homes whenever I'm in uniform. Just to let them know that at least one person who is still serving really appreciates their actions and patriotism.
......and in return, Thank you Mark, for your service.
Pete, CPO USN RET
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!