Gondolas of Lake Terminal RR.
Confusedhock:
Bernd,

i can't say nothing, only looking quiet to your masterpiece of craftmanship and patience.

Lutz
Lutz, thank you very much - and I hope that you will find back your speech.

[Image: lt_gon_84.jpg]

New parts ...

[Image: lt_gon_85.jpg]

... and truss rods no. 9 to 12 are added.
Please look on older pictures if you should find only 8 truss rods on underside. Truss rods no. 1 to 4 are mounted since a longer time to the models and they are going from underside of side sills over the center of side boards and back. It's correct however these four first truss rods are not fixed to end sills or end boards and they are not guided by queen post in contrast to all others.

[Image: lt_gon_86.jpg]

However look here how these new four truss rods are fixed to the high position of end wall planks. I think that they should give an extra factor for stability to the car against a drooping center.
The white cut-outs are preparations for next steps. After installing of these truss rods now I can add the last twelve stakes and stake pockets to side walls including a few NBWs too – and than the last four truss rods can follow.
The end is near - for the first of five models!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
As usual, some amazingly intricate detail work. Thumbsup

I have to ask... how many nbw's did you use on that car? Looks like a bunch of them. And they really do add to the believability.
Gary,

an interesting question! And I will give an answer … in a good week. Than I think that I have finished this first model in weekend 25th or short after.

However, can we make before a small guessing game? My two questions are simple.

First: How many parts are glued/mounted together getting this flat car model at end?
A small help yet. Each industrial part (trucks, couplers) will be counted as one part and each part of a chain counts as one part too.

Second: How many nbw’s are used for this modeling job, also modified nbw’s will be counted. Also here a small help; the number 100 will be bit to small. Sorry, a small joke.

The winner (exact numbers needed) will get a $10 discount if he will be interested in buying such a model .
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Gary's guess: 326
Parts: ?

NBWs: 326
OK....I took a count starting at post #1....NOT..!! I estimate 238..... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
My feet are getting cold !!
Somebody (...Bernard...) keeps knocking my socks off with his phenomenal model work !!!!!

Don't stop because of me, this is really inspirational detail work !!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
WOW !!!

Worship Cheers Worship
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Hello to all,

I have hoped for a few more estimates for parts number?
Gary, Gus, a good start for number of NBWs however you both are a little bit too low under the correct number.
However I must say that also I do not know the number of used NBWs at end of this project but the end is near.

How I said the end is near and so the newest pictures.

[Image: lt_gon_88.jpg]

[Image: lt_gon_87.jpg]

All 12 truss rods are installed under the car, 16 all together. I hope that you can find a bit of conformity with original car - here a link again.

Yet two pictures that I have given ordinary inactive NBWs a better and more qualified job by changing to real working nuts and washers. In the second picture I unstrung two of the truss rods and the solved nuts are well visible at the end sill I think.

[Image: lt_gon_89.jpg]

[Image: lt_gon_90.jpg]

Now the finish is opened – for the first model!
I must add yet coupler levers, stirrups, a few grab irons, handbrake shafts and wheels including pawl, connecting the chains of handbrake rods to the brake shafts, mounting two coupler bearing bars and ??? Not many more!
Thank God! The end is near, really!

When I see what I have built I must say that not all have got that what I have hoped to get. If you would make a short view to the first picture showing the twelve truss rods you will see that I have chosen a too thick wire for the truss rods. I used wire with 0.5 mm dia (0.020”) and I should use of 0.4 mm (0.016”) – this would give a more correct view to the model. However than I must make a smaller tapper and this would be a very, very small dimension for my hand made models. However some things will be visible not before end of such a job and now most of such early errors are no more repairable. Ok, the next models must better planed and a few small changes will be realized already with the following four models – however the 0.5 dia for truss rods will not be changed.
Cheers, Bernd

So you are saying that the NBW was cut and drilled and tapped? And the rod was threaded - and so it is a working nut, not just glued on? :o

next estimate nbws - 386
Gary,

you are right - NBWs were cut and drilled and tapped. And the rod was threaded - and so it is a working nut, not just glued on. Yes! This is the reason that I have got very tightly strained truss rods. Gluing alone does not give the permanent good fixing or you should have a boxcar where you can bent the rods inside to the car.
And the number of NBWs is near to that what I will need.

And parts number? Do not have one an idea? And the solution is laying nearby on the table (visible on the display screen). I have a website?! Also when it is written in German, I think that everone can find find the right navigation.
Cheers, Bernd

Gary S Wrote:So you are saying that the NBW was cut and drilled and tapped? And the rod was threaded - and so it is a working nut, not just glued on? :o

Yeah Gary, that's what he's saying......and I was saying "that's insane", until I remembered my friend Ed Ruszczyk in Brunswick Me., using a "Jeweler's screw plate" to thread the eyebolts for the rigging on his 1/96 scale scratchbuilt clipper ship!!

Bernard, I am beginning to realize that I may not live long enough to reach the level of craftsmanship I see in your work.
I will count, among my blessings, that I did live long enough to have been able to see it here.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Two new pictures only – however I have completed my first model!

[Image: lt_gon_91-2.jpg]

A few small parts were added again, grab irons with NBWs for fixing, stirrups, coupler lift bars, coupler support irons und bolts – again with real working nuts in order to mout and dismount the couplers, ratchet and pawl plates – and a movable connection to the hand brake mechanic. Now you can turn the brake wheels and one of the brake laver if hand brake will move. The air brake components are fixed altogether and so they are not movable, unfortunately.

[Image: lt-gon-lettering1039.jpg]

Click on pictures for enlarged views.

Since a longer time I have drawn the lettering and now the decal sheets are printed by a professional dacal maker with different numbers and small variations for “new” and “used” cars. One samples is the specific lettering “ONE END PLANK STANDARD TO THIS CAR” after one of original two end boards are removed – I think after repeated demolitions by gliding loads.
Now I have given the model to my model painter and in a week I will have the result.
However four more models are wailing for the completion!

And the number of parts? Unfortunately I did not get a big resonance on my question – however a few good estimates for used NBWs. Here the last numbers – after mounting of couplers and trucks.
NBW – 406.
All parts together – 1038.
I never believed that I would need more than 1000 parts. However I think that I have got a good viewing and very rare model. I think that that should be a good inspiration for finishing the other four models.
Cheers, Bernd

There is no doubt that those are the most detailed gondolas I have ever seen. Worship