Living History
As my wife and I drove home this afternoon, we passed a lone rider coming the other way. He was authentic from his worn Stetson to his handle bar mustache, from his "rider" coat to his boots, his horse decked out in equally worn, comfortable tack.

Across the pommel in front of him were two blue canvas bags that said Daily Record - he was on his way home after delivering the newspapers to our tiny town. Sure enough - hoof prints in front of our paper box!

This is the kind of thing you don't see in the impersonal hustle and bustle of our big cities, and very rarely in our small towns any more.
Wow! That's amazing ... and kinda cool!

It is hard to believe that some of those scenes from so long ago live on in some of the more remote areas of the great land! But hearing that it does still happen in small towns, far from the madding crowd, is the stuff of being lost in daydreams of times gone by!

In many small ways, I'm envious.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Hi MM, I was thinking of you this morning wondering how things are going. Sure glad you posted, and a nostalgic post too.
I have been west twice in my life, and enjoyed it both times. My trips west now are made by reading books. I find that even the good fiction books that were written by writers that either grew up in the west or were willing to do the research necessary to write a good story will teach one a lot of things one might not otherwise know.
Thanks for adding this scene to my memories.

Charlie
My pleasure. Thumbsup
I'm glad to know there's still some Americana left in America. Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
In our trip out west last winter, I saw a working cowboy at one point. My wife was driving and missed him.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.