Building the Potomac Line
Well, finally I have finished building the layout room in the addition to my house. It is 19'x19', most of which will be available layout space. I want to include a work desk as well as storage beneath the layout. I plan on using a shelf style set up, with one or two peninsulas. The layout will be primarily urban, and while they may carry names of popular known cities (Washington, Alexandria, Baltimore) they will be primarily free lanced to satisfy my design ideas. I hope to include some street running in the industrial part of town and an elevated line to carry traffic through downtown without interrupting the traffic on the streets.

Givens and Druthers

Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Company, Inc. (The Potomac Line)
Scale: HO, standard gauge

Prototype: Loosely based on the urban areas of the PRR main line from Philadelphia, Pa. to Alexandria, Va.

Era: Anachronistic
Region: Mid-Atlantic.

Space:19x19

Governing Rolling Stock: 50' Boxcars, Pullmans and P85 coaches.

Operation Priorities: (rearrange as required)

1. Freight Train Operations, 15 car trains max
2. Local Freight Operations, average 8 or so cars
3. Main-Line Passenger Train Operation, 4-5 cars
4. Engine Terminal Movements

Typical operating Crew: 1

Dave
-Dave
I do plan on starting construction fairly soon. I would like to use some sort of modular construction so to allow for a move in around 10 years to a new home. I am going to start with an industrial portion of the layout that I found online and just fell in love with. The original is called the Third Street Industrial and can be found here. http://www.westportterminal.de/thirdstreet.html

I have modified it somewhat.
[Image: 3rdstplan.jpg]

The rest of the layout has yet to be designed. I recently acquired a turntable, I need to get the dimensions for that. One I do, I can begin designing the terminal. I guess you could say I'm have planner's block, don't know where to start. Nope

Dave
-Dave
Dave,

Sounds exciting!!

A few questions:
1. Is this going to be multiple mainlines or will you have a single main connecting the different areas?
2.What is your plan for staging?
3. How many 'Towns' are you planning on having?
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Good for you Dave! I like your era designated as "anachronisitic". Smile
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Dave,

Sounds exciting!!

A few questions:
1. Is this going to be multiple mainlines or will you have a single main connecting the different areas?
2.What is your plan for staging?
3. How many 'Towns' are you planning on having?

1. I am torn between single and double track. On one hand the double track will represent a heavily traveled main line and allow the running of two trains. On the other hand, the Potomac Line is not a huge RR, the single track would make running 2 trains with DCC interesting. I imagine the B&P being about the size of the RF&P which had 2 and 3 track mains.

2. I plan of having a second level below the layout for a significant amount of staging.

3. I'm not sure. I plan on at least 2, one being the combined urban areas of Potomac (Alexandria) and Benning (Washington), the other possibly Balitmore or Phily.
-Dave
Alright PJ! Very nice, 19 x 19 is a great space for a layout. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the progress - whatever you do, post plenty of photos of the construction!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I love your layout choice Dave. I have always wanted to build the Third St. layout and am eager to see your take on it. Can't wait to see your results!
John
Th 3rd Street industrial District is also finding a home on my layout. Wolfgang did a great job incorporating it into his layout -- I wasn't sure if I was going to use the layout, but after seeing it actually built, I just have to add it to my Detroit Connecting. Keep us posted on your progress!
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Puddlejumper Wrote: ... I am going to start with an industrial portion of the layout that I found online and just fell in love with. The original is called the Third Street Industrial and can be found here. http://www.westportterminal.de/thirdstreet.html
Dave

PuddleJumper Dave ...

I like it! I actually used the "Third Street Industrial" as the basis for what was to be Berwyck, the second traveling West from the Terminus of Avoca on the layout I was building in my basement up in Pennsylvania, prior to taking everything apart to leave a clean basement for the family I sold the house to. The Third St. section was the part of the basement empire that was the farthest along and it was saved and wrapped in bubble wrap to preserve the handlaid track and built-in-place turnouts - the products of more than a couple evenings in the basement with ties and rails and spikes and a trio of track gauges. I did have power to it through a pair of wires with alligator clips to the bus that connected to drops (from each rail section) and was able to switch the occasional box car, but mostly I just liked watching the train snake through the crossover near the crossing on the right hand end of the module.

[Image: PassingtrackatLehighton-1.jpg]

I would vote for a one track line with passing sidings at logical intervals ... that is how I was treating it and how I will approach it as I try to work this one section that I still have into my current plans. I think it's an interesting track arrangement that should provide some fun swithing/operational situations once built. Plus ... a single track main looks like it's longer than a double track main does.

I say ... GO FOR IT ... have fun!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:I would vote for a one track line with passing sidings at logical intervals ... that is how I was treating it and how I will approach it as I try to work this one section that I still have into my current plans. I think it's an interesting track arrangement that should provide some fun swithing/operational situations once built. Plus ... a single track main looks like it's longer than a double track main does.

Wow, the Third street industrial is more well known than I had thought! It sure looks like it will provide plenty of enjoyment.

As far as the main goes, I do think I am going to go with single track with passing sidings. This will offer me the opportunity to use TT&TO ops in the future if I ever reach the point of inviting people over to run.

Today I started laying the padded laminate flooring and hope to have that done in a couple of days (I am working at a nice, leisurely pace, especially with the freezing temps we've been having lately.) I also ordered some Peco, Micro Engineering, and Atlas code 83 flex track. Once I compare and choose what I am going to use, I need to purchase turnouts (likely Peco). I am still considering using Code 83 for the main, 70 for the branch, won't make that final decision until I have a chance to do some comparisons there as well.

I would like to hear about anyone else's experiences with code 70 track.
-Dave
On the section of layout that I posted above, my modified version of the "Third Street Industrial District," the main and the passing siding are both laid with Code 83 and all sidings are Code 70 (with wider spaced ties.) I have had no problems with either height rail, but all my equipment rolls on RP25 wheelsets, checked against an NMRA gauge. I also used spikes with small heads as I spiked down my rail (on every tie.)

Care in laying track pays big dividends down the line. Impatience while laying track ... being in a hurry to get it down to see trains run ... will be a big disappointment to you in the end as the derailments caused by rushing will be with you forever!

Take your time ... do it right the first time ... you won't be sorry!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
This week I received several sections of Atlas, Micro Engineering, and Peco code 83 flex track. I did not order any Shinohara for comparison... but the 3 brands I did get are very nice! Much nicer than the code 100 track I used on previous layouts. The 3 samples are close enough in detail and appearance that I consider them interchangeable and will just go on price when it comes time to order more. I also ordered some code 70 for the non-main line tracks, and am working on a list of appropriate turnouts.

Now... my next order of business is I plan to start benchwork soon... so can anyone here recommend threads, either here or on other forums, that show the earliest stages of layout building? I want to see what other people's benchwork look like before I start building my own. I am considering using 3/4" plywood for the framing members and foam for the base... thanks in advance.
-Dave
Here´s mine:
[Image: Forum1.JPG]
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
Thanks for the pic! Looks like a nice beginning, and I am also a fan of the Santa Fe. I have been doing some studying and I think I know how I am going to build the benchwork now. First, I must get the track plan close to right.

Dave
-Dave
This is fun!

[Image: 2011-01-03_15-49-25_985-1.jpg]

[Image: 2011-01-03_15-49-38_999-1.jpg]

[Image: 2011-01-03_15-49-55_147-1.jpg]
-Dave