40 hopper cars on the wall! 40 hopper cars!
Hey guys. Around Christmas, I am going to be buying wood to build a display case for my trains. I currently have a set of cars to build. Originally, there were 40 such cars. In 1940, however, they had been thinned down a bit. The cars were from the Hancock & Calumet railway, which was a narrow-gauge railroad that sold the EBT 40 hopper cars, numbered #601-#640, in the early 1900s. They were rebuilt during WWI, and had a new appearance. Over time, the cars were retired, and then either burned or scrapped.

I intend to build all of the ex-H&C hoppers as they would have appeared on the East Broad Top in 1940. I am going to do this build thread for all of the cars in the set.

First steps:
>Buy a new razor saw
>Buy some brass wire
>Buy some sheet styrene
>Buy one of those nifty rivet-maker things
>Buy some weathering supplies
>Buy HOn3 Vulcan trucks
>Buy HO detail sets for narrow gauge cars
>Buy HO Janey couplers (if they're even made)

Check it out as I go along. I think this project is going to be fun.
Very cool! I'm always interested in some rollingstock builds. Bring it on!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
No time like the present! Get cracking!!
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Wait... you are going to scratchbuild 40 hon3 cars??!??!!!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Not the entire 40. By 1940, there were only 23 left on the property. I intend to build all 23 hoppers, in HOn3 at that! lol It certainly gives me something to do for quite a while.
mass production time! Woohoo!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
An aside here - I recently learned that Blackstone Models will be issuing a set of RTR EBT hoppers in HOn3. Even though few model in HOn3, I can see some Pennsylvania enthusiasts wanting to pick up one or two as conversation pieces.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I was recently notified of that on an EBT email list I'm on.

I was also notified that if there aren't enough reservations for the cars, they won't be run at all. This is Blackstone Models' first foray into the EBT market, which may actually be HUGE, but if they don't get enough reservations, they are going to go back to what they know will sell (i.e. Western Narrow Gauge)
nachoman Wrote:An aside here - I recently learned that Blackstone Models will be issuing a set of RTR EBT hoppers in HOn3. Even though few model in HOn3, I can see some Pennsylvania enthusiasts wanting to pick up one or two as conversation pieces.

Yeah, count me in. Those little hoppers are cute.

I look forward to watching this build!
-Dave
I hate to say this ---- BUT --You'll be sorry!!! 23 Scratch built HOPPER cars ----thats gonna be murder!! I once scratch built 20 skeleton log cars -- thought it would be a snap --- THEN I got into the details of it!! Each car had TWENTYSIX nut & bolt castings that needed holes drilled for ------thats 520 N/B castings!! -Plus the cheese blocks & on & on!! Before I was done I HATED the damm things!!
Log cars are childs play compared to hoppers!! I wish you the best & will try & visit you in the asylum!!
Icon_lol 357
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
RRManiac Wrote:I was also notified that if there aren't enough reservations for the cars, they won't be run at all. This is Blackstone Models' first foray into the EBT market, which may actually be HUGE, but if they don't get enough reservations, they are going to go back to what they know will sell (i.e. Western Narrow Gauge)

Well I'm glad I did my part then. I don't model HOn3, but placed a reservation for one to make an HO flat car load.

So... any progress on the 23 hoppers? Pix?
-Dave
Dave Harris sctchbld Wrote:--- THEN I got into the details of it!! Each car had TWENTYSIX nut & bolt castings that needed holes drilled for ------thats 520 N/B castings!! -Plus the cheese blocks & on & on!! I wish you the best & will try & visit you in the asylum!! Icon_lol 357

RRmaniac," Seventhousandfivehundred hand cut, individually applied shingles"..............OK you're good to go!, I'll ask that the room next to mine is reserved for you. 357 357
Looking forward to seeing those hoppers.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
We Need Pictures!

:needpics:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
WoW,

If you do 23 why not do the the other 17 Icon_lol

If it were me I would build 2 of them and complete one for a test fit, and the other would be built up as sub-assemblies and make a mold of those parts and cast the rest would save some tedious work and would be fun as well. But that is assuming you have the skill of making molds and using casting resins(slight learning curve but not impossible).

Good luck with the project, I have a few projects of my own I have to get back to as well.