Bridge at South Wayside
While I'm proud to be among Gary's devoted followers, and learning from his methods just like everyone else here, I think that many are overlooking a very important aspect of this thread. Gary has alluded to it several times in the past, but I don't recall anyone commenting on the fact that most of these bridge-building threads are "first attempts".
Yeah, I know that he's gained experience with the earlier bridges, and it's easy to see his skills developing as we watch each new one "come to life". However, the initial one was a case of just jumping in and doing it. Each subsequent one was built on the success of the previous build, and each pushes the envelope further, and each still requires that "let's do it!" attitude. I think that lesson is equally as important as all the construction tips included in each thread, and, of course, all the demonstrative photos.
So thanks, Gary, for showing us that while the planning is important, the "doing" is even more so. And for showing all of us (not just the neophytes) that, to "get it done", we need to "do it". You may be surprised at what you achieve on your first attempt, but, on subsequent projects, that surprise will give way to a simple sense of satisfaction.

Wayne
Gary...If you're going to tear into the girder, I wouldn't use styrene to simulate the yellow squares-they stand out too much. You migth try something called "Monokote" tape that's used to trim R/C aircraft. It's very thin and wouldn't stand out so much. The only problem I see with this, is that the color might be a little too "loud", whereas on the p'type, it's kind of faded. I don't know if you could spray some Dullcote on it to give a lighter wash something to "bite" into...
Gus (LC&P).
Gary S Wrote:Since the photos are stored here, you have to be logged in, otherwise they appear as red Xs. Paulman, if you want to, go back and check the threads again, I'm willing to bet the photos are there.
Well, and so they are! And I went and checked twice before spouting off... Wink
O.K. ... I'll confess ... I have a big fat folder on my hard drive of "captured" Gary's bridge photos for detailed study without having to be on-line.

is that cheating?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
What doctorwayne said......
Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
DocWayne, thanks for the commentary, and you are exactly right. Smile I always appreciate your insight!

Gus, I'm in the process of repainting the girder. I removed the plates, and will try just going back with the yellow paint in those areas, which is how the prototype actually is. Somehow my brain saw those yellow squares as being raised plates, but alas, it is only paint.

Now, earlier I had set the model in place on the layout, and serendiptuously, the thing was at the perfect height without cutting any foam! Seriously, months ago I had made the cut-out for a bridge, before I even knew a bridge was going there. I was figuring that I would have to cut out a bunch of the foam surface, then install some big deck screws into the lower layer of plywood to use as leveling screws to get the base at the perfect level for the track to go across. But, after sliding the base into place, bingo, no mods needed!

Coincidentally, the Mason Park bridge foam was the same way. Somehow it just turned out to be the proper level under the bridge to act as the water surface. Again, the foam level was determined months before I even knew what bridge was going there. Lucky me!

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
That looks SWEET..!! Even without scenery..!!

You might want to place warning signs on that road...'END OF THE WORLD AHEAD"..... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:You might want to place warning signs on that road...'END OF THE WORLD AHEAD"..... Goldth

Yeah! Although I doubt any LPBs will get killed by running off it to the front, and none of them will ever smash into the wall at the back, I know I am going to have a difficult time with the backdrop. :cry:
Okay, another good evening on the bridge, things just seemed to go my way. Thumbsup

I removed the yellow rivet plates from the girder, primed the areas with white paint, then repainted a couple coats of silver over the flat girder sections, being careful not to get on the ribs or even the dark wash lines. Repainted a couple coats of the yellow-tan mix in the square rivet areas and other spots as on the prototype. Redid the gray "grafitti cover" paint. Put the rivets on with a fine pointed pencil. Then stood back and looked at the bridge. The dark wash in all the cracks and grooves was a bit too stark, so I made a silver wash and with a tiny brush, ran the silver wash in the grooves to tone the black down.

I sometimes think I need an airbrush for these things, the brush and craft paint just don't make a smooth finish, and there are brush lines. For some things this is actually good, for example, vertical or sloped concrete surfaces, but other times it isn't desirable.

Anyway, here's the finished product and the real thing. I'm calling it good! Smile (Geez, I just noticed that the yellow is not quite the proper shade :| )

Also got the foam glued in place around the base:

Foam glued on for the approaches to the bridge. These will be trimmed level with the cork roadbed, and the slopes built up to match what is already there.

And a "scenic" shot:

Gary S Wrote:Anyway, here's the finished product and the real thing. I'm calling it good! Smile (Geez, I just noticed that the yellow is not quite the proper shade :| )

Gary if you are just calling it good what's it going to look like when you feel it's great? Confusedhock:

Bruce
Another outstanding bridge, Gary! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Svein
Gary, I want one of those machines that can shrink structures down to HO size! Where did you get it? Goldth

Your underpass and bridge are awesome. Don’t try too hard to make every single rivet look like the prototype, your model is perfect as is. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Kurt
Oh boy.....What Gary calls "good 'nuff" most of us would call "perfect"....
Another outstanding structure... Thumbsup

Sorry to see the bridges go, though.... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Bruce, Svein, Gus, thanks for the comments and for the encouragement along the way! Smile

Kurt, I'm satisfied with the way it turned out and now will concentrate on getting it tied in to the layout and track across and ballasted.

I learned alot from this build - ways to speed up the repititious construction, and painting techniques - but what I learned most is that what you think you see is not always what is really there. Which brings up an interesting topic that we've discussed before: When building a model from the prototype, should emphasis be placed on building an exact replica, or should we make minor modifications towards what we and others "expect" the model to look like?
I've run out of words again... so I'll let the little smileys at the end of this sentence do the expressing for me. Worship Worship Worship Worship Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Okay. Gary how do you plan to do the Facia across the opening created by the road? I may be jumping ahead on you, but I got to wondering when I looked at your pictures. Is your facia going to be one uniform height across the front or do you plan on making it a cut out to street level?