Bridge at South Wayside
Got all the sidewalk and railing glued on, now just need the road, curbs, and the rail bridge completed. The the module will be set in place and connected into the layout.

Here are a couple photos of the real thing, then some of the model.

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
That rusty undercoat is fantastic. Can't wait to see the layers of color overlayed. Oh, and the concrete is nice too.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Beautiful, just beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your work and progress, and describing your various tecniques as well, great inspiration!

Svein
I saved this thread for the last one viewed before calling it a night and retiring to the horizontal clinic.

The anticipation was elevated as I clicked on the last listing with a red icon on the "View New Posts" screen.

Thanks, Gary!!! I was rewarded for my patience, as I am almost every night.

Thanks! Another example of "just following the prototype."
Beautifully done!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary S Wrote:    

So I start looking at the photo's and its this one that makes me go "SCHAAA-WEET!!"

Great job so far Gary. Thumbsup
This ain't really happening....Gary's just been doing a lights & mirrors trick on us.... Eek
Frankly...I can't find any other explanation.... Nope

But, just in case..... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Gary S Wrote:... Here are a couple photos of the real thing, then some of the model....

Gary, we are getting close to the point we need that explanation Thumbsup
Reinhard
Gary,

Another outstanding model Thumbsup. How about if the Texans loose to the Eagles this Thursday you build this?

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

ocalicreek Wrote:That rusty undercoat is fantastic. Can't wait to see the layers of color overlayed. Oh, and the concrete is nice too.

Well, the rusty undercoat is nothing but a couple different colors of rattle-can primer. I am looking forward to doing the girders. The proto has a really interesting pattern of silvers, yellows, red, and rust. At first, I was thinking I would do the side of the girder at the bottom of the following photo, but now I am thinking I will paint the side shown at the top. With a shelf layout, I only need to do one side.

biL, Svein, thanks for the kind words. I had been a bit worried about getting the proper "look", but after putting all the concrete segments together, I am liking it alot. And it is definitely a unique subject to model.

Tetters, funny how those things go, if I had to pick my favorite of those photos, that would be my least favorite, I almost didn't include it! But I'm glad I did and I'm glad you like it. Smile
bdw9535 Wrote: ... How about if the Texans loose to the Eagles this Sunday you build this? ... Bruce

I say ...

Go!    
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Steamtrains Wrote:This ain't really happening....Gary's just been doing a lights & mirrors trick on us.... Eek
Frankly...I can't find any other explanation....

faraway Wrote:Gary, we are getting close to the point we need that explanation

You guys are great! 357

And, y'all certainly make me feel good. As for explanations, well, luck has alot to do with it? I mean, all I did was glue some plastic strip together, threw some off-white paint on it, and then a couple of medium gray washes. For anyone who hasn't tried modeling from the prototype, I highly recommend it. It is very rewarding to build something that actually exists, and it just feels different from freelancing - plus it is easier! I mean, what to do is right there on the photos!

Now... another explanation I can offer is that from last wednesday night when this project started, and it being a holiday weekend, I have an estimated 60 hours in this thing! Confusedhock:
bdw9535 Wrote:Another outstanding model Thumbsup. How about if the Texans loose to the Eagles this Sunday you build this?

[Image: file.php?id=7814]

Bruce, that looks like a really fun build. I especially like the pilings and timbers with the nut-bolt-washers. Now, does the bridge actually need to rotate, or will it be built closed for the railroad?

Now, if the Texans lose, does that mean I just have to build it, or build it AND send it to you???? 357

What if the Texans win? 8-)

And thank you for the "outstanding" adjective used with my model! Smile
P5se Camelback Wrote:
Go! [Image: file.php?id=7817]

I'm betting the Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel is glad he will miss another game due to his knee injury so he won't have to take on the Texan's slugger Andre Johnson!

[Image: image.php?album_id=174&image_id=3274]
Gary S Wrote:Tetters, funny how those things go, if I had to pick my favorite of those photos, that would be my least favorite, I almost didn't include it! But I'm glad I did and I'm glad you like it. Smile

Here's my thoughts on that. In the real world, unless I was traveling over head in Barney Secord's bi-plane after a crazed round of crop dusting, that point of view is where I'd normally be standing if I stopped on the sidewalk to look at the bridge. If you can sell people on a ground level eye-ball shot then you've most definitely achieved something of a goal towards modeling a realistic scene. I can't wait to see how the rest of it turns out.

Popcornbeer