Weekly Photo Fun Dec 3 to Dec 9
Gary S Wrote:Oh Gus! I usually don't go for locos like the F3, but that view and that Warbonnet paint scheme, I gotta like it! Woohoo! Thumbsup

Gary...As far as I'm concerned, diesel design stopped when they built these SF F units....Nothing like them anywhere. Actually, I set my layout in the American southwest just to be able to run these beauties in their "natural" environment....

X3829...I built up the ground by covering it with wall spackling compound to give it some texture, painted it a light tan with some darker "highlights", and then used natural sand sifted for size. Still gotta put a bunch of weedy grass around there...
Gus (LC&P).
Stepan chem. [Image: 20101209130330.jpg]
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Wow, you're amazing. First Agway, then the piers in philadelphia. I think you got the whole region down pat. You have any other local areas modeled?

GEC,

Thanks for the compliment, tried to get the look of Agway and the piers along Delaware Ave in Philly, but everything is freelanced.

Bruce
Gary S Wrote:Reinhard, I don't know whether Houston has any regulations on the trains or not. I'll have to see what I can find on that.

In the greengoats newsgroup of Yahoo wrote Mike Murry :

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2010 9:25 PM
Subject: Genset Locomotives.

Railspotters,

There have recently been some posts about GenSet locomotives, their use and their usage areas. I have done a little research on the web concerning GenSet locomotives in the State of Texas.

The driving mechanism for GenSets is the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). Within the TCEQ, an imposing bureaucracy itself, is a program called the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan (TERP). Under the TERP, grants are made to individuals and organizations to replace (primarily) diesel engine powered equipment with equipments that greatly reduce emissions for the same application. These grants are available for equipments operating in a number of air quality non-attainment areas of Texas including the DFW area, the Houston area, the Beaumont-Port Arthur area and the Austin and San Antonio areas. There may also be other areas. The grants can apply to a large number of types of equipments, both static and mobile, including "switcher" locomotives. The state has no interest in road type GenSet locomotives. Basically the grants apply to equipments replacement on a one-for-one basis.

In terms of locomotives, the locomotive being replaced, the old locomotive, must either be rebuilt into the low emissions locomotive, or it must be permanently disabled or removed from the state with a contract that it will never be returned for any kind of service. Disabling of a locomotive involves drilling three inch diameter holes through at least some of the cylinders and cutting the frame rails. Might as well scrap it. This effectively takes the target locomotive out of the market place.

--- end of cite ----
It is a Texas game!
Reinhard
Ok, it's basically a cash for clunkers program. My problem with this is the fact the railroads can afford the locomotives, and would probably buy them any way. Why does the tax payer have to shell out anything?
Charlie
There are blue stickers on the locos, I had taken a close-up but then forgot to post it, and I have subsequently erased all the photos from my camera. The blue sticker said something about "Clean Air For Texas" or something like that. I'll have to shoot that again when the opportunity arises.

It is all just a drop in the bucket. With the bazillion vehicles doing the daily commute, what's a few GP30s and GP38s doing switching?
Gary S Wrote:There are blue stickers on the locos, I had taken a close-up but then forgot to post it, and I have subsequently erased all the photos from my camera. The blue sticker said something about "Clean Air For Texas" or something like that. I'll have to shoot that again when the opportunity arises.

It is all just a drop in the bucket. With the bazillion vehicles doing the daily commute, what's a few GP30s and GP38s doing switching?
It will be interesting to see what the cost to the environment will be when the batteries have to be replaced.
Gary S Wrote:It is all just a drop in the bucket. With the bazillion vehicles doing the daily commute, what's a few GP30s and GP38s doing switching?

From a scientific standpoint, you are exactly right. But it probably stems from when you mix NIMBY behavior and politics. It's much more difficult to regulate a million autos, but the residents complain about the bad air. So, they target a more visible source of pollution, and one that has fewer units to regulate, and the public feels better. The same happens in Arizona with water conservation. They tell you to take a shorter shower to conserve water, meanwhile the bank across the street keeps a deep green lawn for no reason and Lake Powell evaporates more water per year than the whole city consumes. It's hard to get the thinking public to reduce their waste when they see those with the deeper pockets continuing the status-quo. But, just having the water conservation reminders, education, and programs are viewed as doing some good, meanwhile not having the guts to speak out against the worst offenders.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I did not intend to raise a political discussion. But the BNSF Gensets are pooled in Texas (some (5) in CA) and the UP Gensets are pooled in California. PHL is also running a similar program. Both class I RR are in much more states but pool in those two states only. I was seeking an explanation I did not expect to find in the technical or operating corner. Therefor my question without any political intention.
Reinhard
Reinhard, I wasn't trying to make a political statement, I was just wishing the ol' SF blue and yellow freightbonnets were back so i could take a few pictures! Goldth
I have thought about what I had written. Although I stand by what I said, the Weekly Photo Fun thread is not the place to say it.

So I have censored myself.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
bdw9535 Wrote:A shot from the last run what you bring op session.

A pair of NS GP 15-1's working the paper track at Pier 32

Bruce
Are those GP15 units the new Athearn Genesis units? Big Grin
Don Shriner
[Image: 52a0125b.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
This thread is closed for the posting of photos though comments are still welcome. Please use the current WPF thread for the posting of photos.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Confusedhock: