TPBO
Brakie Wrote:Ed,90% of my past layouts have been ISs and every one was generic since this gave me the opportunity to model more then one road-yeah always had a oddball engine. Icon_lol
Even Slate Creek can be N&W,Southern,NS,CSX or C&HV. :o
I heard that! I've managed to acquire several locomotives from different roads that I didn't really need, but I just plain liked 'em!

Right now I have two great running L&N loco's and a nice looking L&N cab and since L&N was one of my former railroad employers, I'm going with that. But I've also acquired a Mo-Pac GP15-1 (just like 'em category) that I finally got running good along with a CGW NW-2 that will receive L&N paint in the near future.

The Mo-Pac unit "might" be considered on lease or possibly acquired when L&N took over the CEI line in to Evansville, IN (never happened for real) if I want to run it at times. Then again, should I decide at some point to make the railroad itself freelance, I could just paint out the Mo-Pac logo and slap on my freelance reporting marks.

There have been so many short lines that at one time or another appealed to me and that I considered modeling that it's a shame. But ultimately, I've just gone with a freelance theme, because as I've stated; it doesn't tie me to modeling a particular location, specific industries, car types and commodites. I can pick what I want.

I really admire the fellows that will pick a specific railroad and location and model every industry and structure, in that location; but I just find that I'm happier going freelance. As I said in the previous posting, my ISL can be in any number of locations once served by the L&N so the theme works.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:Then again, should I decide at some point to make the railroad itself freelance, I could just paint out the Mo-Pac logo and slap on my freelance reporting marks.

That's a good idea, I think it is alot more fun to make up your own railroad, There are lot of shortlines that serve isolated industrial parks in different states(Such as SMS rail), therefore you can change your location at will.

I was thinking that we could make a fictional holding company called Big Blue Rail Lines or something like that, It could "own" the participating members of this forums Short-lines.I think that would be a fun way to connect some of our layouts.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:That's a good idea, I think it is alot more fun to make up your own railroad, There are lot of shortlines that serve isolated industrial parks in different states(Such as SMS rail), therefore you can change your location at will.
Another company operating short lines and industrial operations in various locations is U S Rail http://www.usrailcorp.com/. They have operations in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, New York and New Jersey. Can't say much for their paint scheme, but the logo isn't bad. Some interesting operations though.    
Justinmiller171 Wrote:I was thinking that we could make a fictional holding company called Big Blue Rail Lines or something like that, It could "own" the participating members of this forums Short-lines.I think that would be a fun way to connect some of our layouts.
That might be fun at some point and we could have a little contest to select a prototypical sounding name, reporting marks and a nice looking logo for this short line operator. And at the risk of having this thread turned 180 degrees, here's one idea based on the NYC cigar band logo:    
Ed
Time to close out this thread. Anything else pertaining to my proposed ISL can be found on the thread "L&N Industrial Rail Spur" http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...5&start=30 It's been interesting!
Ed