Upgrading a building on Sweethome Chicago
My bad. It's not the Corner Cafe at all - I linked to a thumbnail and didn't look closely enough.

The kit is actually Helen's Country Kitchen in the Smalltown USA range

[Image: mhs-bldg21ass.jpg]

http://www.gatewaynmra.org/mhslayout/mhs-rix.htm

Jon :oops:
Sweethome Chicago is now on Facebook

Sweethome Alabama is now on Facebook

Hudson Road is now on Facebook

my videos

my Railimages
Ah-ha. I really liked the different cornice, and that's one of the reasons I was curious. The mention of a post made me think of Smalltown USA but didn't investigate for whatever reason. Your pictures of a finished one actually help their product line out in my eyes. Their finished examples on their site never looked that great to me. However, the well painted and detailed finished ones in this here thread sell me on them more.
The corners need some work doing on them to hide the join, as they are butt joints rather than chamfered, but make up into some nice buildings.

The plastic is the same as that used by DPM - I suspect they made the parts - and is easy to carve with a sharp scalpel blade or similar.

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
I have finally added the curtain detail upstairs and finished off the store window detailling, with the addition of the white writing.

[Image: IMG_8264.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8266.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8263.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8261.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8258.JPG]

The next task is to make the awnings and give the store a name.

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
The whole structure is looking great, Jon! Your attention to architectural detail really helps pull it off. The lace curtains in the windows are a nice vintage touch! They give the upstairs living space a real homey feel! I remember my grandmother's house had curtains like that back in the late forties.

I'm sure the addition of awnings and a sign with the store name on it will really "bring it home."

Nice work! Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I've added a couple of awnings by making a couple of brass wire frames and covering them in a paper-like fabric, which I found at the back of a drawer. I also fitted a pole in front of the door to support the upper storey, and within minutes someone had come along and fly-posted on it.

[Image: IMG_8270.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8271.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8274.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8279.JPG]

[Image: IMG_82751.JPG]

Only the name boards and fitting left to do, hopefully tomorrow.

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
It looks great, but I think you need to trim the awnings. Most of the awnings I've seen or remember from the 1950s and 1960s had an edge that hung down about 4-6 inches max on both sides and the front. Some had nothing hanging down on the sides, just a 4-6 inch overhang in front. Everything else looks like prototype.
I agree with Russ. Everything else looks great, but the awnings could be cut down a bit on the sides.
Cheers with the two recommendations above.

I know that in the photos I have seen of that era, the ground floor awnings were retracted at night so there is no fabric on the sides that might interfere with that. Also, there tended to be awnings on every window in those days before air conditioning. Many of those upper shades had a top and sides, and were fixed in place.

EDIT - after I posted this, I went on a little search... Here is an interesting picture of a Brownstone residence (in NY I think) that shows "three-sided" upper level awnings that are retractable. In the comment section, someone remarks that they remember putting them up and taking them down in the spring/fall. Sounds like the awnings are on the opposite cycle to storm/winter windows...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2007/03/1920s_houdini_f.php">http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/ ... dini_f.php</a><!-- m -->

Hope that helps.

Andrew
Thanks for the info.

In the photos I found, most of the awnings were equal in length at front and at the sides. The majority seem to have had sides and a few had fronts that went nearly to the ground, making an additional room to the store with merchandise and boxes.

Some of the photos showed awnings on the upstairs windows, but I passed on that as a timesaver, as many of the photos showed windows without any awning at all, retractable or otherwise.

I also checked out Air conditioning, as most residential housing didn't start getting it until 1948-55. It was around in the 1930s but was more for industrial and retail use due to the expense

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
I finished off the signage for the building last night and replanted it on the layout this afternoon.

The scene was finished off with the addition of a few figures and detailling parts. I also had to repaint most of the paths and roadway (after several vehicles were moved around)

[Image: IMG_8283.JPG]

[Image: IMG_82851.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8290.JPG]

[Image: IMG_82941.JPG]

[Image: IMG_82951.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8304.JPG]

And now for something completely different...

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
That is SO nice!!! I love the details!! Big Grin Big Grin Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks Mikey

A few sepia photos to finish off with

[Image: IMG_8312.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8309.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8315.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8350.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8333.JPG]

[Image: IMG_8331.JPG]

Jon

my videos

my Railimages
Really a great looking building...and what a scene! Wonderful stuff. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Jon -

Fantastic! I usually view the threads from the bottom up (jump to newest posts first). When I scrolled up to that first (i.e. last) sepia photo, I thought you had found another proto-photo to add to the discussion about awnings...! Eek

Great work! And it's been educational too! Wink Big Grin

Andrew