Pearl Harbor Remembered
Brakie Wrote:...Also knowing the "pony solders" guns would fire once they would attack in fast waves thus the hapless calvary was overwhelmed before they had a chance to reload..

Thumbsup Big Grin For every new piece of military technology, there very shortly follows an "overwhelming countermeasure".
It's the "game we all play".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
As mentioned in this thread, there are a lot of kids who don't know the full history of the wars. Me, I have had the fortune to have met and spoken with veterans of World War II, Korea and Vietnam and have heard stories from the people who were there. It has left me with a higher respect for these people. Also, my father was born in Europe just before the second world war and his oldest brother would be 9 years old at the time. Hearing from my uncle about what they went through has been very educational to say the least. No wonder my Dad would tell me I am very lucky to have been born in Canada.

I was with my wife watching "Passchendaele" at a theatre and heard some young kid comment, "Look at them kick those Nazi asses". I commented back, "Wrong war." Pretty sad that our schools are neglecting history or just teaching the bits that are 'politically correct'.
MadModeler Wrote:I was with my wife watching "Passchendaele" at a theatre and heard some young kid comment, "Look at them kick those Nazi asses". I commented back, "Wrong war." Pretty sad that our schools are neglecting history or just teaching the bits that are 'politically correct'.

i hope that you "embarrassed" him into maybe doing a bit of research to learn who was fighting who and at which "War to end all wars". Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
In a way it is an understandable error given the similarities between German WW1 and WW2 helmets, uniforms and rifles as well as British [including Empire/Dominion and Allied ie US] WW1 and WW2 helmets, uniforms and rifles.

I havent as yet seen the film but the name Passchendaele is on numerous ANZAC monuments and RSLs.

April 25th is ANZAC Day here in Australia, commemorating the landing on the Gallipoli Penninsula, Turkey and the first blooding of a young nation following our Federation in 1901. ANZAC Day recalls the sacrifices of all Australian Service personnel since that time.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Ah ... sort of akin to Veteran's Day here ...

... that many now just treat as a day off from work and have no clue
(nor do they seem to care about) why they have the day off!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:Ah ... sort of akin to Veteran's Day here ...

... that many now just treat as a day off from work and have no clue
(nor do they seem to care about) why they have the day off!

Very similar to Veteran's Day. ANZAC Day is a National Day of Remembrance and Public Holiday.

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps from WW1 and the landings on the Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey on 25th April, 1915.

ANZAC Day now covers all Australian service personnel from WW1, WW2, Occupation of Japan, Korea, Vietnam, East Timor, Iraq, Afghanistan as well as Peace Keeping/ UN duties in Namibia, Cambodia and elsewhere.

We may be a small nation numerically but we always fight above our weight to defend our mates and to defend freedom.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
My Dad served in Eastern Australia and New Guinea from 1942 to '45. He always spoke kindly and remembered with respect and fondness the citizens and soldiers of Australia. My thoughts and best wishes to you all on ANZAC Day...you've shown your mettle and earned your honor. Bob C
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Having been on active military service throughout the Viet Nam era, I know what it is "to serve".....To those who serve in , and to the people of, Australia, On this ANZAC Day, remember the fallen, and continue to defend the principles they fought and died for. Do this, and their lives will never have been given in vain. I salute them, and I salute you.
P.R.Juengst
CPO USN RET
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
MadModeler Wrote:As mentioned in this thread, there are a lot of kids who don't know the full history of the wars. Me, I have had the fortune to have met and spoken with veterans of World War II, Korea and Vietnam and have heard stories from the people who were there. It has left me with a higher respect for these people. Also, my father was born in Europe just before the second world war and his oldest brother would be 9 years old at the time. Hearing from my uncle about what they went through has been very educational to say the least. No wonder my Dad would tell me I am very lucky to have been born in Canada.

I was with my wife watching "Passchendaele" at a theatre and heard some young kid comment, "Look at them kick those Nazi asses". I commented back, "Wrong war." Pretty sad that our schools are neglecting history or just teaching the bits that are 'politically correct'.

Also many may not know that a German had to join the Nazi party or face treason charges which would land them in a concentration camp and later death and unknown tens of thousands Germans made that one way trip..

A sad thing is neighbors,family and friends would report none compliance to the Gestapo or the SA..Everybody was paranoid and feared each other.

I didn't learn that in school..I learned that while station in Germany and talking older Germans..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
For the historical background of Pearl Harbor, I recommend reading Morning Glory by Stephen Howarth. US title The fighting ships of the Rising Sun : the drama of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1895-1945 ISBN-13: 978-0689114021
It all started in the year 1542 when Antonio de Mota made landfall at the southern end of Japan. The mere presence of US Navy Commodore Mathew Perry in Japan in 1853 triggered a revolution.The bombardment of Kagoshima by British admiral Kuper in 1863 didn't help things.