My Father
I remember being woken up every 3rd Monday of the month at 4AM by one of the most gentle and important voices any child will ever have the privilidge of hearing. The voice would call my name "Luis Carlos, Luis Carlos, despierta". "Wake up, Luis Carlos." The voice would tell me that he loved me and that he hoped the month would pass quickly so that we would be able to see each other again soon. I would wake up, half asleep, I would hug him and tell him that I loved him. He would slip a dollar under my pillow, that was enough to feed myself for a whole week at school. Then in the blink of an eye, he would be gone for a whole month, missed by this child who would silently cry because of his absence. One weekend a month...is all I needed to receive all the love in the world. One weekend a month would give me enough inspiration to do good in school and to behave and pay attention to my mother. One weekend a month was spent with him, and that one weekend made me feel like the happiest child on the planet. I didnt care that all I got was one weekend. That was enough time for me to feel just as happy, if not more, than any child that got to hear that gentle voice everyday.

That one wekend a month, for 10 years, brings the warmest memories of my father. I will miss you everyday, just like always. I will continue to follow your teachings and footsteps and continue to be a respectable, well mannered man...just like you taught me.

Rest in peace daddy. We lost your battle with cancer, but you gave me a lifetime full of happiness. I love you with all my heart

Jose C. Valdez March18, 1958 - December 7, 2010
My deepest sympathies. Keep your head high, knowing that your father loved you and that the moments you had with him were special and cherished.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I'm touched by your narrative!

I, too, know what it is to lose the Father that you loved so dearly.

My heart goes out to you ... and I am truly sorry for your loss.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
My deepest sympathy. Your narrative is especially striking, as I am in the position of your father, leaving his children alone with their mother because I have to travel for work for several weeks at a time. I can only hope that when my time comes, my children will think as fondly of me, as you do for your father.
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
My most heart-felt condolences. You will feel his absence for the rest of your days, but you will also have the memory you so well described to us. And that's all the comfort you will ever need.
Gus (LC&P).
A very touching tribute. You have my deepest condolences.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thank you all for your replies. I am currently getting my stuff ready, as I will make a 10 hour drive in the morning to New Mexico for my daddy's service. 52 years old...very young. He is the only one in the family to ever have cancer. God works in mysterious ways.
My heartfelt condolences.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
What part of New Mexico? It's beautiful there this time of year.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:What part of New Mexico? It's beautiful there this time of year.

My parents live in Ruidoso. 7000 feet above sea level. its pretty cold at night but during the day its cool. Their house does not have AC. They dont need it. they live just fine with ceiling fans. The times they came to visit me in Texas, they were burning up Icon_lol
torikoos Wrote:My deepest sympathy. Your narrative is especially striking, as I am in the position of your father, leaving his children alone with their mother because I have to travel for work for several weeks at a time. I can only hope that when my time comes, my children will think as fondly of me, as you do for your father.

thank you for your comment. It is tough. But im sure you do just as my father did in those days. You make the best out of what little time you had to spend time with your children. I was born and raised in Ciudad Juarez, in Mexico. It was a very poor part of town. But thanks to my father's hard work and dedication, I had everything I needed to make it. My mother kept pushing and pushing. I was always made aware of the hard work and sacrifice that my father went through in order for me to sleep in a warm bed. My father was a roofer and back when winters were very harsh in New Mexico, he worked in a few feet of snow. Thats why I never complained that I had to walk to school as a kid.
Quite touching to say the least. It's difficult at best to lose a loved one, but the fond memories linger on and you have some great ones to think about.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Well...that was difficult to finish first thing in the morning without getting a choked up. My deepest sympathies. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Luis Carlos---I feel your pain.Recently,my mother passed away.Even though we miss her dearly,my family is comforted by the belief that she is now resting comfortably in the arms of Jesus.Your father is also now at peace in Heaven---I hope this brings comfort to you and your loved ones
Luis Carlos, Thank you.
The sharing of your memories gives us all reason to stop for a moment, and look at the blessings we sometimes forget, and leave behind. Those memories, are a blessing you will carry with you for the rest of your days.
The blessing my father left me, was being able to know the end was near, and being able to say good bye.
Hold strong to your memories, they will serve you well at the times you need them most.
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!