New Google Maps Feature
Don't know if anyone else has seen this, but Google Maps now has a distance measuring tool which can be really handy to measure the length of track and structures, especially in the satellite (aerial) view.

To access this feature click on New! at the top right of the page. You'll then get a menu of new features Google Maps Labs. On that menu select Enable on the distance measurement tool and then Save Changes.

Once you do that you'll see a small blue square in the lower left corner with a scale on it. To measure a distance, such as the length of a track or structure; click the blue square, the sidebar will open with instructions to "Click on the map to trace a path you want to measure" and the option to use Metric or English Units.

Simply click on your first point, then second point and the distance will be displayed in the sidebar. Seems to be fairly accurate, and pretty darn handy for determining the length of tracks/structures for our layouts.

Here's an example showing the length of the Trujillo & Sons building in Miami, FL (see Lance Mindheim's Downtown Spur) http://www.lancemindheim.com/downtown_spur2.htm    
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Wow! Cool, Ed. Icon_idea

Thanks for the Lesson! I had heard of being able to measure stuff on Google but I had no idea how to go about it.

Thanks, Bubba! Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks for telling us! I think I would not have noticed these new features. Especially the measuring tool and that you can rotate the satellite view is very helpful to me.
Kurt
Google Earth has that function too, as well as the elevations. It really helps calculate grades.
Charlie
A useful tip: thanks!
I did a lot of fooling around with Google Earth and Bing Maps this week at my job. You can spend hours just "looking". Believe it or not, I use these tools all the time at my job, and they save a ton of time and money. I can investigate an area using google Earth instead of having to pull a map out of the drawer, or taking a field trip. So, when someone is trying to describe a certain segment of a stream, I can go to Google Earth and understand exactly where the person is referring to. The one thing I wish they include is a layer that has USGS topographic maps. And as noted, it's a great tool for model railroaders as well. The other day, I was looking at old railroad grades, following the line as it wound around canyons and through tunnels.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
That's a neat upgrade on an already neat tool.

Thanks for the tip, Ed!

Smile,
Stein
cnw1961 Wrote:Thanks for telling us! I think I would not have noticed these new features. Especially the measuring tool and that you can rotate the satellite view is very helpful to me.
Thanks for pointing out the new rotating map/satellite view feature on Goggle, Kurt. I completely forgot to mention that. Always helps to be able to look at things from different angles.

When I'm exploring an area, I use both Google and Bing as each as its own useful features. I find that Googles map view the best of any - as it shows practically all the rail lines in a given area, where Bing won't. Often Googles satellite views are better than Bing's although in some areas it's a draw. Between Google's Street view and Bing's Bird's Eye views you can really visit a lot of areas without leaving home.
Charlie B Wrote:Google Earth has that function too, as well as the elevations. It really helps calculate grades.
Charlie
I also forgot about Google Earth. I had that installed on the computer at one time, but haven't bothered to reinstall since I had to do one of those famous reformat/reinstall weekends a few months ago. Will probably download and install it again in the near future to see what nifty features/improvements they've done with that program.
Ed
:oops:

Until this minute, I did not know that when you guys were saying "Google Earth" you were not referring to the Google maps! Confusedhock: :oops: :oops: :oops: Icon_lol

Boy, do I feel stupid!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Bil;

Yep, Google Earth is a separate program that you can install on your 'puter... You can get it here: http://www.google.com/earth/index.html. I guess you could consider it a combination of Google/Bing maps, with a lot more features.
Ed
Right ... :oops: 35

Thanks! Icon_lol
biL

Another feature of Google earth is the time line of pictures. It appears as a clock in the tool bar. It is a shame that they don't have the old aerial pictures from USGS included. I have seen some that go back to the thirties, but even though they are good, I know the negatives were capable of higher resolution scans then the ones available on-line.
A couple of us over at Railroadfan.com have made good use of Google Maps. We've gone and made up some "Railfan Location Guides" which have locations marked with a link to an actual photo shot from that spot by the members on Railroadfan. I like that distance feature, going to have to put that to some good use real soon.
Mike
Ed,The amount of information found on Bing and Google maps is priceless when it comes to planing a layout..

This tool will help calculate the distance of sidings and give the dimensions of any structure in feet that can be transfer to a cardboard footprint by using a HO or N Scale ruler.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I've used Google street view to build my little church / school for my module Salina. I had a picture from the prototype. With street view I've got more pictures.

Wolfgang
We can switch it, day by day -
just in time - and safe
Come to us Westport Terminal RR