A letter from Don and Mikey
AN ANNUAL LETTER FROM MIKEY (ngauger) AND DON (ezdays)

Do you remember December of 2000??? How we were all relieved that the Y2K Virus never happened Smile, and how, we were looking forward to the “real” turn of the Century, 2001??? Thumbsup How some of us that were wondering if, in reality that Arthur C. Clark’s novel and movie 2001 a Space Odyssey would ever come about? Eek Well, a few of us were milling around other railroad boards, there were not many to choose from back then, when some of us got e-mails that three investors were starting a new board called, “The Gauge”… A board dedicated to the Modeler themselves, something that would never “grow too large.” One where each member would “know” other members and they even gave us a chat room that we could “talk” in real time to each other. Mikey, (ngauger) joined Catt and a few others within a few days after the December 17, 2000 opening date. It took Don (ezdays) some three years before he became interested enough in model railroading to find us, but he did and that’s what counts.

The Board would last as long as the “three investors” thought it would be good to keep it running; you see, they were funding it entirely out of their own pockets!!! No ads!! No Membership fees!! The thought of closure prompted us to ask if we could donate to help keep things running… soon we had become a family of about 100 steady members and had acquired the nickname, “Big Blue,” because of the board colors. Big Blue, or The Gauge, lasted in that family state for years, until the investors decided to sell it off to someone who fortunately, continued to allow us to do our thing without intervention. It didn’t take much though, to find out through search engines that he actually had the goal of “expanding” our board, along with his others, just to boost their resale value. Within months, we were high on the search lists, and as a result, hundreds of new members came onboard, too many too fast and so we lost our family feel… Then it happened, the ads started to appear. We pleaded that with ads, some of the “deep set modelers” would wander off. Unfortunately, our predictions were accurate; we started losing quality modelers and staff due to the ads!! Some of the ads were even from competing sites; others were not so family friendly. One day we noticed after a change in software that our beloved Blue Board was white… We were told that the amount of coding to get everything to look right would be too expensive, and then as another cost saving action, we were combined with a few other modeling forums including our friends at Cardmodelers.com. They were great people, but it caused a lot of conflict with everyone, and once again, all the groups lost some good friends to other forums.

Well, you know the rest of the story; a new company bought what was once The Gauge; their claim to fame was that they owned hundreds of boards and would do great things for us. It didn’t take long to figure out that it was a business decision that had nothing to do with hobbies and we had people who knew nothing about us, telling us what we could and couldn’t do. It was a chaotic time, then, when the ads began appearing IN the posts and threads, that was the final straw. By this time, we had well over thirty thousand members, and we were confused as to who was who. What was once The Gauge had grown “too large” and the ad issue was too big to ignore. We were receiving complaints from “our family” of moderators and members alike. Some left and vowed never to return so we (Don and Mikey) talked about going back to our basics and reviving our beloved Big Blue. Mikey knew Path from his hosting another board that he runs and asked him if he could help us out, thankfully he did… In November 2008 we decided on our plan of action: It had to be a vehicle to regain our identity, it had to have picture posting ability, it had to have a chat room and it had to be B L U E!!!!!! In addition, it should stay relatively small and family-like once again. We decided against using the Gauge name to avoid conflict but wanted to keep the association, so we do have “the-gauge” in our domain name. On Dec 17th, 2008, we opened our doors to coincide with that of the original Gauge. As we got set up and things were working, we invited through our personal emails, a few people to “Come see what’s cooking”… It was an instant success; the comments for everything, including the colors we chose, were good ones.

We began an e-mail campaign, almost identical to the e-mail campaign of 2000 that started the original board, except that we didn’t use, or advocated using, any other board’s communication systems to “Troll” for members. We also were sure that we knew someone before we sent them an email. We are very proud of this. In addition, we are proud of the fact that we told about 200 people about the new board and wound up with 150 signed up within 2 days. We even had our old staff back, including a few who had left us years earlier. Mostly, from what has been told to us, people registered here to get away from the ads and how that and other boards were being managed, plus Big Blue just felt like they were being called to a family reunion. We were home again at last… we had gone full circle with a quality group of people with a common goal.

That brings us to now, the original Gauge would be ten years old if it still existed. Big Blue is now two years old and is going as strong as the old one. We have over 600 registered members, but remain like a small family; we have new friends and have lost a few older ones along the way. A few that are gone forever and cannot come back shall be always in our hearts. There are some that return occasionally, and we’re pleased to see them when they do, even though they’ve joined other families. Yes, old friends are always welcome. As we look back on these past ten years, we see where we’ve done a lot as a family. We’ve had “the Box” find its way on many layouts, two Gauge cars made the rounds and plenty of layouts got their starts before our eyes. Much advice has been sought and much has been given and we’ve seen some great things come out of our challenges and photo threads. Thousands of pictures have been shared and we’ve even had meetings of Gauge and Big Blue members, some organized, some just casual. One must note that we still hold true to the original concept, no dues, no ads. We are still supported totally by what we, as owners, put in, plus what we get in donations from time to time. We intend to keep it that way and we never plan selling out to anyone like what has happened in the past. We’ve worked hard to get back what we all thought was lost. We’re pleased and proud of our achievements along the way and really look forward to celebrating them. That’s why we are planning a yearlong celebration starting on December 17, 2010. We'll have many surprises along the way, so stay tuned. We’re glad to have you, and we wish we could meet each one of you personally to thank you for being here and sharing your experiences, your expert advice and above all, you as a person. We are looking forward to a great year of modeling and of just being with you, our friends and family…

Mikey (ngauger) and Don (ezdays)
Owners and administrators of the Big Blue Train Forums
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
That was interesting reading!

I had not known all that history. It is an amazing history, one of dedication to principle, a history of which one can be proud.

Thanks for posting that accounting of the beginnings of our favorite model railroading forum!

You can count on me for a beginning-of-the-year "continued operations" donation! I pledge to do my part to help keep this great family-oriented forum firmly on its feet!

BiL
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks for posting the history of Big Blue -- I did not know any of it. I love this site and check it everyday. There are some amazing modelers out there, and I have been inspired many times by the modeling posted here. You are absolutely right about the "family" feel of the site. I appreciate everything all of you have done in creating this site and keeping it running. I'm with P5seCamelback -- I'll be sending a donation after the first of the year to help support this great site.
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
January 18, 2011 will be the last day of my 8th year with the-gauge, January 19th, the first day of my 9th...I'd have to do some digging around the archives to find the date I started as a moderator here. It was ( Shamus ) who invited me to join those ranks.
I spent an afternoon with Don, and met Mikey at the NMRA convention in Philadelphia. Spent a weekend in toronto, with Spitfire ( Val ) and Robin ( Matthyro ), stayed a night in N.J. with Gary ( JGL fan ), and his wife, and operated on his great layout. I also had two good days with Tysonrayles, and ran some N scale on his Nantahala Midland.
Stayed the course, and was one of the early jumpers from "shoeheadville" to "Big Blue town".
Memory fails me now, but I believe it was RockIslandMike who lured me away from Trains dot com, in the first place. Best move I ever made.
Friends, and Family.....yes, that about says it all... Except for; Thanks, friends and family, and Thank You Mike and Don, the rest of the "staff" ( even if you are always emptying the candy machine before I can find my change, and taking the one and only light bulb in the office ), and Thank You all the members who have made this place a true "home".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
28 Dec 2009, 07:10 ... the day that I joined Big Blue at The-Gauge ... I'm closing in on my first year as one of the incorrigibles who hang around this place on a regular basis.

It was after a couple of PM's back and forth on the Model Railroader Forums re: weathering techniques that our good doctorwayne invited me to come here for a visit. I made the leap while here on the first visit! None of the things that annoyed me about the MR forums were present here. Everyone was friendly, no one had a "You-are-so-stupid-and-what's-more-you can't-build-models-worth-a-crap" attitude ...in fact, I was in awe of how everyone helped those who requested assistance and posted photo tutorials on "how-to" do exactly what they had done!

When I joined this great forum, the 2010 Spring Challenge was in full swing. I immediately learned several modeling tidbits that I have used in my own modeling since then. I watched the collection of varied projects progress ... by the time it was over I was waiting excitedly for the next Challenge to be announced. I was "stoked!"

My enthusiasm has continued unabated ever since. Recently, while emailing photos of some of my modelwork to a friend "up North" (a non-model railroader but a model builder ... he's a "Landscrape Architect" Wink 357 , so models do come out of his office) I included a photo of Gary S.'s "Bridge at Wayside." He was amazed! He joined Big Blue to just be an observer, but so he could see all the photos ... hoping he will be inspired some more and maybe pick up a few pointers. I'll work on him to maybe post a few photos of a landcape proposal model ... that might be fun to see.

I look forward to another great year on Big Blue at The-Gauge! With any luck it will be even better than my first!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I can't remember exactly, but it must have been in 2005 when I came to what I call the "old" Gauge. Can't remember how I found the place, probably just a serendipitous Google search. Anyway, I remember marveling at the great photos of the layouts and rollingstock, I remember thinking "wow!" when I saw the photo tutorials, but most of all I remember that there was just a friendly and inviting feel to the forum as compared to the large commercial forums I had seen.

A bit later, the old Big Blue somehow got turned into a commercial enterprise, then lumped into a huge all-hobby forum, and things just went steadily downhill. All of the craziness made it difficult to enjoy the forum, with advertisements, arbitrary edicts from management, and cosmetic and structural changes that didn't makes sense to the average member. This combined with the fact that I was becoming dissillusioned with my non-climate-controlled non-bug-protected layout in the garage caused me to drop out of the hobby for awhile.

Then one day I received an email from docWayne, stating that the members of "The Gauge" had started a new forum like it was in the old days, and he was giving me a personal invitation to come on back and enjoy the comaraderie. I accepted the invite, and not long after that decided to do my layout right by giving it its own nice comfy home. I have enjoyed my stay immensely.

So thank you to Mikey and Don for maintaining the place, and thanks to the moderators for putting up with us, and thank you to all of the members who participate regularly.

P.S. biL, I am honored that you liked my bridge model enough to show it to others. It gives me confidence to continue on full speed ahead!
Gary ... maybe I will be able to get my "Landscrape Architect" friend from up in Pennsylvania, "doghouse," to comment on "Bridge at Wayside"... but then again ... maybe not! 8-) Wink

Funny ... the good doctorwayne figured in getting us both to come here ... I wonder how many others he has enticed to visit, and then eventually join this great forum?
biL

I think I'm one of those "few others" who joined in December 2000. Eek
When everyone was sending out posts at the old Gauge about how they were now longer going to be a moderator or member, I was really bummed. Top train had turned me on to the first gauge and I really liked it , it was so different than any other forum. Those final days over there were saddening, it was like a funeral precession. Then one day I got a PM from Mikey about this place, I was honored to be asked to join in on the festivities. I owe him a big thank you for the invite. This is a wonderful place like no other and I promote it where ever I go. Here's to another great year at the Gauge Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I'm just happy people here consider my wisdom and modeling on an equal plane to those I look up to Goldth
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I remember joining up over at the old place, can't remember exactly when though. It was good and then I remember when all the not-so-good stuff started to happen. I don't remember exactly how I found the new home, but I'm glad I did Wink

Thanks to Don and Mikey for doing what they've done with Big Blue, and to the mods who keep things in order. I must say, this is one of the better and more active model railroad forums that are out there on the internet. As soon as I get back to work I will be sending in a donation to help out. Here's to the next ten years Thumbsup
Mike