Progress Is Slow (New Layout)
Some of you may remember me posting over at the "other place" about the new layout I was starting using a [url="http://www.terrainfortrains.com" target="_blank"]Terrains For Trains[/url] prefabbed layout. Progress has been slow, however. I finally got around today to putting on what I hope is the final coat of paint on the rocks. I've got a few buildings done and even a few people ready to put on when it's finished.

Here's the progress pics so far.
The first is a pic of some of my buildings and the second is one of the (hopefully) finished rocks.
You'll note the light streak of paint through the middle of the layout..... I messed up on the dirt road color and covered it up.
If anyone has suggestions on how to do a good dirt road, please let me know.

Attached Files Image(s)

CANNONBALL
Baby likes to rock it like a boogie-woogie choo-choo train!
Looking good, i like the colors you have chosen for the hills and rocks. For the dirt roads, you can go outside and sift some dirt through a small strainer that is the color you like and glue that down. I have read that dirt roads are typically lighter than the dirt around them since the cars tires grind the dirt down to a fine powder.
Scott
Jesso Wrote:For the dirt roads, you can go outside and sift some dirt through a small strainer that is the color you like and glue that down. I have read that dirt roads are typically lighter than the dirt around them since the cars tires grind the dirt down to a fine powder.
I've thought about doing that but I don't know how the wife would feel about me baking dirt in her oven to get the moisture out. Big Grin

Tomorrow I think I'm going to paint the tunnels and maybe start putting some grass down.
CANNONBALL
Yes, I concur with Scott, good choice of colors for the hills and rocks. Thumbsup
Kurt
Looks like a good start. For roads I usually paint a layer of brownish latex paint then sift on some baseball diamond dirt ( unbaked ) let dry vacuum off excess dirt then another layer of paint and keep going till you get the correct suface.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
In my best Yoda voice..What know you of slow?

I have to drive stakes to see if I am making any progress on my buildings. Wallbang

I wish my layout was as far along as yours..

Seems I was faster building layouts when I was working.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:In my best Yoda voice..What know you of slow?

I have to drive stakes to see if I am making any progress on my buildings. Wallbang

I wish my layout was as far along as yours..

Seems I was faster building layouts when I was working.

Really.... With the money I paid for this thing, I shoulda just started form complete scratch and done another Scenic Ridge.
I actually had trains running on it faster than I did with this one. I've just been lazy about getting it finished.

I think for the road, I am going to get some fine ballast about the color I want the road to be and then bash it with a hammer until it's dust.
Then I'll glue that down.
CANNONBALL
Cannonball Wrote:
Jesso Wrote:For the dirt roads, you can go outside and sift some dirt through a small strainer that is the color you like and glue that down. I have read that dirt roads are typically lighter than the dirt around them since the cars tires grind the dirt down to a fine powder.
I've thought about doing that but I don't know how the wife would feel about me baking dirt in her oven to get the moisture out. Big Grin

Icon_idea I know, send the wife to a day spa, then use the oven all ya want. Nope

Joe
thumsup Wrote:
Cannonball Wrote:I've thought about doing that but I don't know how the wife would feel about me baking dirt in her oven to get the moisture out. Big Grin

Icon_idea I know, send the wife to a day spa, then use the oven all ya want. Nope

Joe

Icon_lol
CANNONBALL
Ill agree with everyone else, i really like the colors you have chosen for the rocks and hills Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I did a little more painting today.
The tunnel portals came out way darker than I wanted. Too much black in the burnt umber.
The red areas in the second pic are bricks, so I tried to make them ore like bricks and weathered them a bit.
They look a lot better than the pic.

Attached Files Image(s)

CANNONBALL
A closer view of the bricks.

Attached Files Image(s)

CANNONBALL
A road appears and the pond is starting to fill up.

Attached Files Image(s)

CANNONBALL
I need some opinions.
I think I got my pond too dark.
I'd like a more open perspective from someone other than me.
Also, is there a way I can lighten it up? Would a couple coats of clear over the top make a difference?

Attached Files Image(s)

CANNONBALL
If that is Woodland Scenics Realistic Water, the color will fade with time. I always put a drop of blue food coloring in mine and when it first comes out, it's pretty vibrant but after a month or so, it fades and tones down.
Again, if that is WSRW, it will also shrink up as it dries giving you the opportunity to pour more in on top... this time with no coloring and that will help to lighten it up as well.