Pandorum
After a lengthy struggle to develop and refine my track plan prior to commencing building this spring, my wife just announced that she had changed her mind about the second spare bedroom and it was mine if I wanted it. Confusedhock:

Talk about mixed emotions... Wallbang

I have begun planning anew with a different track plan to utilize the additional space, while wondering what may befall me next. :?
Fortune drops a layout room in your lap! Thumbsup
Yeah, but I hate layout planning. Sad
MountainMan Wrote:Yeah, but I hate layout planning. Sad
Yup, but that's what books can do for you. Lots and lots of choices out there...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Books, heck with that, post your room diemnsion, givens and druthers and I bet someone here could get you a plan to work with.

This is what friends and forums are for...
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Books, heck with that, post your room diemnsion, givens and druthers and I bet someone here could get you a plan to work with.

This is what friends and forums are for...

I did that the last time and got no help at all.

I'll wait to post a tentative track plan for evaluation and critique.

Cheers

So do I ! Thumbsup So !....There's the method I used for the "New Modules", and it goes something like this:

1. Draw out the room dimensions. and then add the boundaries of what space can be used for a layout, making sure things like windows, closets, entry doors, etc. are all readily accessible, and then rope these areas off, so you can get a feel for how well the remaining space works.
2. When the actual shape and size of the layout are "finalized", and you are sure that it is livable, build the benchwork. ( in my case it was the support structure, and the module frames ).
3. Now that you have all this done, you have to fill it with something, so......where in the world is this layout meant to represent? Once you have that picture, start occupying the land areas with "land" ( even if you have to pile up crumpled newspaper, and cover it with rags to get some semblance of topography ).
4. Now that you have "world", what industries, town, residences, etc. would you like?...mock them up, and "place them " ( they can be moved, as necessary until you are comfortable with everything's placement )
5. Now that there is "habitation", what gets rail served ?, and to accomplish that, where is the main line located?....build the main line sub roadbed, Refine the placement of structures, add the siding sub roadbeds ( all,to fit the topography, industry location and needs )
6. Lay track, and wire it in.
7. make sure it all works.
8. At this point, go back to step 3., and start replacing the piles of "stuff" with scenery. ( build and install bridges where needed, before laying plaster in these areas ) A-n-d........
9. Details, Details, Details........ and finally...
10. Please understand, I never plan a layout, I "grow" one!

If you're comfortable with the above, there is only one thing left to do.

:band2" Make It Happen ! Thumbsup Big Grin

:oops: :oops: Three things....... *the above, *and take pictures, *and post them Goldth Goldth
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Ya know ya can't get started until ya get started!
Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Sumpter250 Wrote:

Cheers

So do I ! Thumbsup So !....There's the method I used for the "New Modules", and it goes something like this:

1. Draw out the room dimensions. and then add the boundaries of what space can be used for a layout, making sure things like windows, closets, entry doors, etc. are all readily accessible, and then rope these areas off, so you can get a feel for how well the remaining space works.
2. When the actual shape and size of the layout are "finalized", and you are sure that it is livable, build the benchwork. ( in my case it was the support structure, and the module frames ).
3. Now that you have all this done, you have to fill it with something, so......where in the world is this layout meant to represent? Once you have that picture, start occupying the land areas with "land" ( even if you have to pile up crumpled newspaper, and cover it with rags to get some semblance of topography ).
4. Now that you have "world", what industries, town, residences, etc. would you like?...mock them up, and "place them " ( they can be moved, as necessary until you are comfortable with everything's placement )
5. Now that there is "habitation", what gets rail served ?, and to accomplish that, where is the main line located?....build the main line sub roadbed, Refine the placement of structures, add the siding sub roadbeds ( all,to fit the topography, industry location and needs )
6. Lay track, and wire it in.
7. make sure it all works.
8. At this point, go back to step 3., and start replacing the piles of "stuff" with scenery. ( build and install bridges where needed, before laying plaster in these areas ) A-n-d........
9. Details, Details, Details........ and finally...
10. Please understand, I never plan a layout, I "grow" one!

If you're comfortable with the above, there is only one thing left to do.

:band2" Make It Happen ! Thumbsup Big Grin

:oops: :oops: Three things....... *the above, *and take pictures, *and post them Goldth Goldth

I like that approach, since I'm a very visual modeler. Thanks! Thumbsup
If you haven't seen this yet, it's a classic example of " planning by mock-up ".
Just thought you might be interested.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5159&start=30">viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5159&start=30</a><!-- l -->
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:If you haven't seen this yet, it's a classic example of " planning by mock-up ".
Just thought you might be interested.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5159&start=30">viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5159&start=30</a><!-- l -->

I imagine that works well for an industrial type yard or layout, but mine is rather more complex and not constructed on a level grade.

Nevertheless, I'll get there eventually.