new project
That yard is bigger than my entire layout! Eek Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I think that it may be bigger than my layout, too. Eek Looks great, Steve, but are there any clearance issues with that rock outcropping? It looks pretty close to the track, although that may be because of the camera angle.

Wayne
That's just the angle of the pic, Doc. I should have stated that the 2 outermost tracks are the mains. There is about an inch of space from the rock to the roadbed in the pick of the west side of the yard. The longest holding track in the yard is just under 17 feet and the smallest is 7 feet long.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I have been really lagging on my posts lately ( it's summertime so I got a lot to do with the family). But I am glad to say that the yard at Allen town is complete. although these pics are about three weeks old you can see it as it is today. The ground cover is in, all the track is wired and running, and control panel is operational. I still need to add some background trees and things. Plus a few buildings and figures to complete it all, but is is up and running now.

This is an over view of most of the yard, the control panel is also in the picture.

One of the details to the yard happened by accident. Just before I laid down some of the tracks I had to climb over the foam board, this caused a size able dent where one of the ladder tracks would go. Instead of filling it in with plaster and painting it again I let it be and just put my track over the hole and filled it with some Woodland scenics realistic watter to make a puddle. As you can see even in a large yard like this there are still some tight clearances. Nothing over 60 foot is allowed in the inside ladder tracks.

Here a few cabins set waiting for there next assignments. Never mind those funny looking buildings in the background...They are just temporary..
    This section of track I call the gauntlet,, These tracks allow access from the storage tracks to the service aria, caboose tracks, yard office (not built yet) and other sections of the yard. To get to or from one part of the yard to another the switcher crew must pass over this section of switches.

This shot is of the west end of the yard with some incomplete scenery in the back ground.

to give you an idea of geography, if you were to be standing at the control panel. East would be to your right with the yard starting at the Allen town/Bethlehem border. The engine terminal in Riegelesville is also to the right. On your left the yard connects back into the main near Stockertown. I am waiting for Walthers to re-release there large cement plant so I can model the Hercules plant located there. The model has been delayed several times already but I am in no hurry because I have plenty of other things to do.
Really like the whole tone of the layout there paw. From the ground texture to the all business freight car reds of the older cars. Those Camel decs will look great going through that yard.
Well MrBill the 2-10-0's that I am building are meant to be used as heavy switchers downgraded from road units. They will be the usual power in AT yard, so you're definitely on the right track in your thinking.
Very nice! I wish I had the space for a yard like that!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Looks great Steve, I LOVE the section you call the gauntlet. Superb!
It was worth the delay! I lkie your ballast, what did you used?

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Thanks everyone,,, That ballast/ground cover Is actually dirt from the road in front of my house. I live on a privet road paved with gravel. So when it's time to fix a few potholes, I Shovel up a bucket load of the street, screen out what I can use as scenery material, and fill in the pot holes with rest. I take the fine dirt, run a magnet through it, bake it in the oven, and get some real nice ground cover out of it. Thumbsup
e-paw Wrote:Thanks everyone,,, That ballast/ground cover Is actually dirt from the road in front of my house. I live on a privet road paved with gravel. So when it's time to fix a few potholes, I Shovel up a bucket load of the street, screen out what I can use as scenery material, and fill in the pot holes with rest. I take the fine dirt, run a magnet through it, bake it in the oven, and get some real nice ground cover out of it. Thumbsup

Loks like it works fine! I tried this a few time recently with the same kind of ground cover, but found that ties got a powdery looks from the dirt. I may be nice for yard and sidings, but looks strange to me for mainline. How do you work with dirt? Your ballast work looks pretty clean to me.

Thanks,

Matt

I did get a little of that dusting over the ties like you were talking about. In a yard like this The effect is dead on for what I was after. I have to do some scenery work in my switching aria in Easton, so I'll give a little "How to" on my method of working with this stuff.
e-paw Wrote:I did get a little of that dusting over the ties like you were talking about. In a yard like this The effect is dead on for what I was after. I have to do some scenery work in my switching aria in Easton, so I'll give a little "How to" on my method of working with this stuff.

I'm looking forward to this How to. I had the same feeling it was right for yard and sideline. I'm curious to see how you work the stuff.

Thanks again.

Matt

What are the dimensions of that yard? It is HUGE

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.