new project
Well Matt. The longest holding track in the yard is just under 17 feet and the smallest is 7 feet long.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:.... the smallest is 7 feet long.
I will see my doc tomorrow. I feel so depressed Wink
Reinhard
Again, I wish I had yard space like that. Even at my train club, I don't think we have quite that much room. I really want to run a 16 car Silver Meteor, so that sort of staging looks inevitable for me....
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Well GEC, if your ever in the aria bring em by and we'll put some miles on em.
I'd love to, but I think i'm a bit modern for you! not to mention, I need wires!

Even so, i would like to see this layout, one of these days when I have freedom again, i'll have to make an effort to visit.

Speaking of passenger stuff, do you plan to run passenger trains? small commuters?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
17 Feet!!! Eek Confusedhock: I would be thrilled to have the 7 foot as my longest!! I would say I am green with envy, but that doesn't quite paint an accurate picture. Worship
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Sailormatlac asked for a tutorial on my ground cover ,,so here it is..I'll start with the harvesting and prep work that I do before I plant it on the layout..

I live on a gravel road that is privately owned by the homeowners on the street so it is not maintained by the township or any other government body, it's all on us to keep it up. After a few rain storms it becomes pock marked with pot holes. In order for us to keep our morning cup of Joe in the cup-holder, myself and a few other neighbors will go out and do a little road work every so often. This is when I do my harvesting Big Grin . My neighbors thought it was a little strange at first, but are now used to it now and just wave hi.
I like to use a regular Spackle bucket that I have cut a hole in the top of the lid for the first step. I cut out a section of fine window screen and place it on top of the bucket like a basket then snap the lid on to hold it in place.     Then with the help of a fellow Model Railroader we scoop up some of the road into mesh and give it a shake.     this separates the larger particles that get dumped back into the road leaving me with the finer material for the layout. This does work much better when the ground is dryer, moist soil tends to stick to the screen and clog it.    
after the first sifting I run the same dirt through a finner sifter to leave me with only the finest material, if a little of the courser stuff get in I don't worry because it varies the texture on the ground cover and makes it look more natural.    
Now it all goes into a tin pan.     At this point I run a strong magnet through it to remove any metallic material from the ground cover. And into the oven it goes at about 250 degrees. You can tell when it is done because it will have a consistent lighter color throughout the dirt. any dark spots means moisture and possibly other living things that could be bad on the layout.

Once It has cooled to the touch it goes into my ground cover bin. I will sometimes vary the color with some commercial ground cover, but at this point it is ready to use.
Nice tutorial, Steve: concise and well illustrated. Thumbsup

I've hired a bus and organised a tour group of about 50 modellers, complete with shovels and screening buckets. Could you provide some directions to get to your road, please. Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wayne
Nice Tutorial!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Wayne!! On your way by, don't forget to pick me up!!!!! Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
OK Doc,, once you cross the Delaware river, continue west & every time you see a farm you have to make a turn 4th house on the right. Cheers in a bit I'll finish up the tutorial.
Thanks! As simple as can be. The sifted ground cover looks very fine, but looks right for a steam era layout. When you check oldpictures, it's like if track were laid on soil and not real ballast.

BTW, good job on your camelbacks!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Steve!

I could only say: Thumbsup and Cheers

Lutz
Thank you every one. I will continue with my little how too here...    
I'll do some grounds keeping on this part of the layout because it offers some spots where the ground cover meets the road & rail. The aria was first painted with basic house paint that will hide any any spots that I may miss. If you notice the tunnel portal is the same one from the June 2012 issue of RMC Big Grin .

I start by brushing a coat of a glue & water mixture over the aria that will be worked on. I tend to keep it a little on the thick side and add will put a drop or two of liquid soap into it to help it flow.

Then I sprinkle a thin layer of the dirt over the entire aria.

you will end up with something like this when your finished.

I will be using the dirt as ballast in this part of the layout so at this point I will add it to the track , but only between the rails. There are a few spots where glue has gotten on the ends of the ties, I don't want to glue the dirt to spots on the ties where it doesn't belong. . I use a soft brush to straighten out the 'dirt' ballast. Now it is time to let it sit'n dry over night.
Now that the glue has set....
    I can add the dirt to the ends of the ties...

With a soft bristle brush I shape it into place and clean off the tops of the ties...

If you want to get rid of the dust from the top of the ties you can blot them with a damp paper towel...

Now it's time to break out the commercial ground cover...

I sprinkle a little bit here and there. until I am satisfied with the look...