Painted myself into a corner?
Hi all!

My first post! Been lurking and looking at some fantastic work! So I thought I would see if someone here could shed some light...

We have a section that is next on the list to add scenery, but running into some RR artist blocks.

Picture can be found here : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://coldshoulderrailroad.weebly.com/pictures.html">http://coldshoulderrailroad.weebly.com/pictures.html</a><!-- m -->

at the bottom of the page.

As you can see there is the return loop with one leg's tunnel running through this area. The wall is in the process of having a city/town backdrop installed as I type. We cannot figure out what to do to "HIDE" the tunnel. In front we want to have a small yard and maybe one other small industry building.... The gray is slated for yard, the pink would need to be the entrance and this is where we are stuck! I don't think a bunch of trees would look right. Maybe a creek or drainage viaduct? The plan is to have a city go along the entire length of this second pic. 12 feet. So hiding the tunnel is really causing problems... some hollow buildings will work on the city section....

Please excuse the mess...

Thanks for any ideas.
First: Welcome Welcome to Big Blue !

Second: You are probably going to have to make a few changes to the area inside the loop, to hide as much of the curve as possible. Whether by using buildings, or some other scenic "device". I'm thinking along the lines of...a building or two up front, and possibly a "storage area " with a brick / stone wall between it and part of the track, and a larger building close, that will help block the view of the loop. One of the tricks, could be a crosswalk between two buildings where the loop can enter, and enough "clutter" beyond it to hide the loop. A minor league Ball Park, with the outfield wall curved, just inside the loop might help also. It could be one of the buildings attached to the "crosswalk".
Looking forward to seeing just what you choose to do there.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I can be of no help whatsoever, OR, this may help if I'm seeing right. Everything looks great, but it looks like a quite long tunnel with no access. If that is true, any derailment, or trouble of any kind could be disasterous. Please tell me you do have a way to get to all the inside of it.

Also, welcome to Big Blue

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
I should have said this but I plan to make the top or at least most of it removable. Depending on what I do access from underneath will also be an option.

I am not so worried about hiding the curve, but the straight part right after the curve. The long section will most likely be hidden by buildings in the "city".

Thanks!
Hey, glad you could join us! If the track is easily accessible then I think some structures will nicely cover the straight section. I'm imagining large long industries. I used a steel mill complex to block the view of the back of a return loop on my layout.

[Image: IMG_1875.jpg]

Ralph
Hmm, now that looks very nice. I was just looking at cement plant kits... This is what I am trying to do.
Any chance of getting a few more pics to see what you have done? I am now trying to think of other "plants" that will work.
Cement seems to go up and not cover much ground....
Here are a few more photos of the area.
Track leading to the return loop is visible until it reaches the right side of this raised station where the RDC is located.
[Image: IMG_2204.jpg]

This angle isn't available to the viewer unless they lean over the layout but it gives you an idea of the "canyon" (as opposed to a tunnel) I created using building flats on the back drop and narrow depth buildings in front of the track.
[Image: IMG_2208.jpg]

I did completely cover a short section of track with a mill building the track tunnels through. I tried to lead the eye away from this with the highway bridge. This area has been "roughed in" and still needs some refinements. That's a derailed train on the side.
[Image: IMG_2206.jpg]

Overall view from above:
[Image: IMG_2209.jpg]

Funny you should mention cement plants. I have an improbably large cement plant that covers some other hidden track on a straight section of my layout. It has so many silos I'm thinking of turning it into a large grain elevator instead! Smile

Ralph
VERY nice! I think the "canyon" is going to be the only way I can pull it off. You and I think allot alike!
We never did put up the background...I think flats will work better for this area.

I was going to have the "wrong side of town" start close to this area too.
I've always been impressed by your industrial scenery, Ralph, but those latest views really show how effective it is for hiding those things which you don't want to be seen. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Thanks for posting those great photos, Ralph! You have convinced me that my plan to use the GERN facility and the adjacent town to hide a "branch line to the north" when it actually will go to "off layout" staging ...
[Image: MainLineThrutheCanyonofBrickandCutS.jpg]

[Image: ReworkofSitePlanincl24Rtostaging.jpg]

... will be the correct plan of attack!!!

Thanks, Ralph, for helping me confirm my initial thinking!!

Oh ... and by the way ... your layout ROCKS!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Nice work on the mock ups P5! Are those going to be scratch built structures? Goldth
I'm glad my pics may be helpful! Building a folded dogbone styled layout forced me to be creative about breaking up scenes and tracks that were too close together.
Ralph
Ralph, Big help.
By the way I love the truck wreck and the troopers looking all around!
Your pics also made me think I am not using my space very effectively.
Thanks
Stryker
Stryker ...

The structures shown in the mock-up photos will end up as kitbashing projects. The first one, the one the caboose is about to pass, was one of structures intended to be a part of my 2010 Summer Structure Challenge entry. Having been away from the hobby for twenty years, I had forgotten how much time is involved in kitbashing one building, much less a whole complex of structures. To think I could kitbash all of those structures between 01JUN10 and 07SEP10 was a foolish and totally delusional goal!

I ended up building just the one ... and I didn't even get that one done in the time frame!

And, Stryker! Welcome to the friendliest, most helpful model railroad forum on the internet!

Welcome Welcome Welcome
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks for the very kind welcome fellas!