Shay construction
Gerd,
wonderful pictures and a very good documenting of your work! I love your Shay and hope to see it personally in future!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Hi Bernd,

as I live on the other end of Germany, it will be a challenge to arrange a meet, but I'm sure we'll find a way :-) Maybe at Rodgau 2013?

I made some more progress over the last days. First of all - the steam engine chapter is finished by installing the reverse gear.
[Image: Rev_11.jpg]

Further I made the rear mountings for the boiler...
[Image: Fuss_3.jpg]

...and started work on the ash pan.
[Image: Ash_2.jpg]

I'll continue with the ash pan an grate the next week.

Cheers, Gerd
The word " awesome " is so overused these days. So, let me express it this way - - - I am Awe Struck !!!
Reasonable facsimiles are one thing, and I can do that. Fully operational "miniatures" are a galaxy beyond my abilities.
It is still a joy to watch your Shay grow, piece by piece. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Worship Worship
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks for your comment :-)

Here're some moving pictures of the new stuff.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMyyrAn2lUk&feature=youtu.be">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMyyrAn2 ... e=youtu.be</a><!-- m -->

I look forward to get the ash pan done next week and to start with the smoke stack next.
I've to return the boiler to the boiler maker for some approvements and I look forward to get the boiler back in 2 weeks.

Cheers, Gerd
Godd morning,

did some fine progress the last days.
First, I finished the ash pan except for some special features regarded to the grate retainer. But This has to be fitted when all the parts are finally installed at the boiler and the boiler was returned to the boiler maker for some adjustments.

The brass part on the right holds a spring loaded bolt, which is used to hold the ash pan underneath the boiler. There's a fixed bolt on the opposite side.
[Image: Ash_11.jpg]

The grate was also pre-made from flatbar and spacers. The grate isn't finished yet. I need some support parts to hold the grate inside the firebox.
[Image: Grate_4.jpg]

Another missing part is also mostly done. The stack.
I started with the diamond stle spark arrestor, made from sheet metal and steel rings. I used real rivets to hold the parts together.
[Image: Stack_14.jpg]

The stack saddle is also far done by now. I've to round up the lower section and the saddle is the only part on a steam locomotive, I hate to model Curse
But I look forward to get this challenge solved too 8-)
[Image: fuss_5.jpg]

That's all for today. I hope to get the boiler back this week...
Getting closer to her first maiden run Thumbsup

Cheers, Gerd
What a wonderful project! Thumbsup Worship Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Waldbahner Wrote:[Image: fuss_5.jpg]

AHRRRRRR, who be that "pirate lookin' " person standin' there, with the rather large parrot sittin' up on 'is shoulder?
me,an' me mates be wantin' to know.... M' first thought were it might be Cap'n John Silver, but Cap'n Silver gets 'round on 'is crutch, not a peg leg.
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hi,

I don't know how this pirat is... he never answered any of my questions. Maybe they cut his tongue out Tongue

Here's a new update:

The stack is finished except for the peticoat and some screw holes.
[Image: fuss_8.jpg]

And I made the blower nozzle support for the smoke box from brass.
[Image: Blow_3.jpg]
[Image: Blow_10.jpg]
[Image: Blow_21.jpg]

Next to come is the smoke box itself.

Cheers, Gerd
Good morning,

finished the smoke box yesterday except for some small details. The copper tube was bored to take all the parts. There's some rivet details, the stack and head light as well as the manufacturer plates and the front door cover.

[Image: Box_9.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd
The detailing is fantastic!!! Can you post close-ups of the manufacturer plates, to see the details?

Thanks so much for the progress pics, this is truly fascinating to witness!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Hi.

In this scale, details are no problem. The rivet heads have 3.5mm in diameter (20mm in full scale). 8-)

Here are some close ups from earlier date. The plates are photo etched brass.

The cn# 782 is borrowed from a similar Shay that is reported to be lost in a quarry flood in 1914.
In my little world, the Shay survived the flood and came to the Bear Creek in 1915 where the loco was rebuild with a new cab and came back into service 8-)

[Image: Plates_2.jpg]

[Image: door_13.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd
Gerd, your craftman skills are impressives. I have great respect for people build "working" model like this. Continue your excellent work!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Wow!! Thanks for the pics.. The plates look as great as the engine does Smile Being a Baldwin fan (I live across the street from the Eddystone plant). I wanted to see the "Sister manufacturer's" plate Sad Sad Great Work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Nice story about the engine "surviving" too! Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Good morning,

thanks guys, here's the next update. Big thinks happened last weekend. On Friday, the boiler returned from the boiler maker and the issues were fixed, so I could start to get the boiler wrapped with cork sheets and aluminum sheets.

I use brass bands to hold the boiler jacket in place. I did a lot of small work around the boiler too like installing the grate and ash pan, safety valves, water gauge, and the smoke box. Finally, I add some paint and placed the boiler assembly on top of the Shay frame.

The front boiler mounts are still missing and some additional parts. Once this tasks are finished, I can finally install the boiler, followed by plumbing, mounting steam valves and all the other small parts that are missig to get the Shay ready for her maiden run.

BTW, I didn't had time to update my website and will do this later this week.

Cheers, Gerd
Now she's starting to "look" like something fantastic!! Smile Smile Really nice to see the boiler mounted!!! Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75