Shay construction
Hi,

no prob, come over to my place and we can take a ride together :-)

Last weekend the Shay was running for the third time and everything is going better from run to run.
We did some log loading action and I made a test run with a 100 kg loaded flatcar up a 6% grade.... No problem for the Shay. That's some amazing power. Can't wait for the next weekend when the Shay is running on the club layout. My girlfriend was also fascinated and did some first runs as engineer Big Grin she did quite well Thumbsup

Cheers, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

It's always nice to see a practical use for a locomotive & train Thumbsup Thumbsup

It's even better when your girlfriend is enthusiastic about your hobby!!! Goldth Goldth Goldth Thumbsup

Thanks for the pictures!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:It's even better when your girlfriend is enthusiastic about your hobby!!! Goldth Goldth Goldth Thumbsup

Not necessarily :?
Now I've to maintain my Forney loco and build a second riding car, while she grapped the Shay throttle all for her own Icon_lol

Last weekend, we were for the steam meet at the club layout and run the Shay for 7 hours each day. The loco made it quite well and there are only a few new problems left. The axle driven water pump gut damaged due to a bad soldering joint and I've to fix it this week. Anyway, running the locomotive with injector only is also possible so we could go ahead for some more laps on Sunday.

My girlfriend got trained as engineer this weekend (okay, it's my fault) and did it quite well. Meanwhile Katrin can operate the Shay alone and I can just sit beside the tracks and watch the drive mechanism when she's passing with the train...

Here are some rare photos. Video will come later if uploaded at YouTube.

Bye, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

And here's the video clip

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CQqAUvq9lk">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CQqAUvq9lk</a><!-- m -->

Bye, Gerd
Gerd,

very great cinema! Or, how we say in German "Ganz großes Kino!"
I'm enjoyed with you about your fine work. Really a masterpiece, your Shay. Congratulation again and all time enough steam in boiler.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
WOW! Nice work........

Question, whats the boiler pressure on that and what gauge is it?

THATS awesome for its size to haul that well at what looks to be a good pace of speed!
~John AKA "Yellowstone" OR "EM-1"
Hello,

the boiler is build for 7.5 bar (approx. 100 psi) and the gauge of the model is 5".

Cheers, Gerd
Amazing work..!! That little Shay can really move..!!

And you don't have to worry about dirty track... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
No kiddin there Rus.........
~John AKA "Yellowstone" OR "EM-1"
Hello,

the big live steam indoor meet in Karlsruhe (Germany) is over and the Shay was in service for 3 and a half days.
And that without mayjor problems. Just a bolt on the universal joints got lost, but was found and installed again.

I made a short list of issues that I've to fix within the next months. I need a floor around the boiler, a new coal shovel and a lever to handle the air slap on the ash pan.

Here're some photos from the event for you, showing the Shay in action, together with the Forney #2. Early sunday, I had to take the Forney out of service due to problems with the safety valves. I guess I've to maintain the whole engine this year to fix a long list of issues...

Bye, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more photos

Attached Files Image(s)

" Sunday evening, the scrap train with Boxcab #3 is pulling up the tracks."

That sheds light on a whole different kind of " snap track " Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Looks like you had a great time at a great show ! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Oh yes, it was a great show.

We use this convention to play on our Bear Creek Railroad with real operations. There's no other place for me to set up such a layout.
Most stuff that I do is made just for these events once a year, especially all the buildings.

Meanwhile I made a track/layout plan from the 2013 set up. This layout is set up with our own tracks and scenery parts.
It's clustered to three major sections. 1st Bear Creek with some industry to serve and the engine facilities. Next to it is camp #2, a small logging camp with log landing and typical bunk houses. The track ends in a ballon track with stagging yard, representing Creek Jct. From this point deep in the woods, several spurs would lead into the cutting areas.

The Shay is used between the cutting areas and Creek Jct, bringing down the logs, while the Forney will bring them out of the valley to Bear Creek. The Boxcab and Forney are also running supply and passenger trains on the low line. The Shay brings supply vars up to the camp. And we operated the layout this way and had a lot of fun. It keeps 4 people very busy.

Next year, I hope to have more cars in service and I'll use a car card and way bill system for more fun. I like to build a new turntable for the longer steam engines as well as some kind of wooden bridge to get some more scenery into it.

Cheers, Gerd

Attached Files Image(s)

Gerd,
congratulation to this big show! I'sure that you and your girlfriend have had a good time presenting all your models.
Unfortunately, where are the visitors? I hope that you have had a few more as seen on pictures!
Wish you a good time and many success for planing and model building for the show in next year!
Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Hi Bernhard,

don't worry about the visitors. Most photos that I made where taken before or after the show was opened to the public.
While loading logs or shunting freight cars, we had more visitors at the fence, watching us playing with our trains. I'm not finished with all photos yet, so maybe I can post some more later.

Bye, Gerd