Asphalt Parking Lot
I just hope that the security on these bank buildings is up to scratch in case the LPB [little plastic bozos] dudes in those two vans arent as innocent as they seem and are eyeballing the joint with a view to doing it over.

Top notch work, Man you set the bar high.

As for sandpaper sheets there are often sandpaper supply shops who carry a wide range of papers.

8 by 4 sheets of styrene. Oh man that would be worse than laminex to handle.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Hey Mark, thanks for the compliments. On the 4 x 8 styrene sheets, they weren't that bad. Even the .080 could be rolled up and tied. I bought a sheet of .040, .060, and .080. The sheets ranged from $27 to $32. I am telling you it is really nice to have a bunch of styrene like this, it really comes in handy for modeling! Smile
That is a fantastic idea(4x8 sheets-stryrene).It's to bad that it couldn't be obtained with a "clap siding" or grooved surface(aluminum siding texture).I have considered buying a bunch of Pike stuff structure kits and just making my structures out of those kits,but 4x8 sheets would be perfect.Since most all of my structures will be "modern"buildings(warehouses,injection molding plants,etc)

Forgive my ignorance,but which of the 3 thicknesses is the thickest?(.040,.060,080)Sorry but i never got past basic math in highschool :oops: I want to make sure i get the correct gage,cause my structures are gonna need alot of stability since they will be "full" size.
Don Shriner
TG, the numbers are simply thickness in inches. For example, .030 is 3/100ths, or 30/1000ths of an inch thick. So, the smaller the number, the thinner the sheet. Bigger the number, thicker the sheet.

For comparisons, a typical hobby knife blade is around .025.

The rail of code 83 track is .083 tall - that's the rail only, not in combination with the ties.
Hi Gary,Thanks for the info...now i understand Big Grin BTW,I was just now checking out a Company called JMD Plastics,and they produce the same styrene products as Plastruct and Evergreen,but in larger sizes and at wholesale pricing.I just e-mailed them to see if i could get Corrugated sided styrene at .060 in a 2'x3' size.I plan on building full scale structures for my switching layout.Ill let ya know what they say when i hear back from them. Smile
Don Shriner
train_guy Wrote:Hi Gary,Thanks for the info...now i understand Big Grin BTW,I was just now checking out a Company called JMD Plastics,and they produce the same styrene products as Plastruct and Evergreen,but in larger sizes and at wholesale pricing.I just e-mailed them to see if i could get Corrugated sided styrene at .060 in a 2'x3' size.I plan on building full scale structures for my switching layout.Ill let ya know what they say when i hear back from them. Smile

Don, please let us know what you find out. That company may see an increase in business. Big Grin

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Gary -

The city of Houston is going to send you a warning notice to repair your parking lot/roadway, then send an inspector over to check the rework, and increase your property taxes accordingly for making aforementioned repairs. Icon_lol

Which is just my jokingly way of saying your work on that building and parking lot looks superb and attained that coveted "looks real" status. Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Thanks Herc, for the humorous comments Big Grin

TG, by all means, if you get some metal siding plastic sheet, let us know!!! I need a bunch of it.
Well it turns out that JMD Plastics only supplys standard Styrene(non patterned),but still at a very good price compared to other styrene suppliers.I also called Pikestuff and they only offer their kits,no larger sizes :cry: Evergreen does offer a 12"x24" Corrugated metal siding,but i personally haven't seen it stocked at any hobby store,besides it retails for $17.00 for one sheet.
Don Shriner
train_guy Wrote:Well it turns out that JMD Plastics only supplys standard Styrene(non patterned),but still at a very good price compared to other styrene suppliers.I also called Pikestuff and they only offer their kits,no larger sizes :cry: Evergreen does offer a 12"x24" Corrugated metal siding,but i personally haven't seen it stocked at any hobby store,besides it retails for $17.00 for one sheet.

I ordered in some Evergreen styrene sheets from my LHS.
The plain sheets come in multiple packs, sorry I mean dealer packs of 4 in 12" x 24" but the siding sheets only come in singles.
It still works out cheaper to buy it in that size than in the more common 6" x 12" plus you can eliminate a number of joins in larger projects.

Mark
Do you have any product numbers on the larger sheets?
Gary S Wrote:You could also use dullcote, and I actually prefer dullcote, but the itty bitty cans are too danged expensive.

I get the bottles, and airbrush it. Big Grin That really looks great!! Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I've posted elsewhere that for large, basic sheets, you may be able to get them used from your local transit authority. I have managed to get a couple of the 2x6 sheets used for bus-side advertising. You may need to peel off vinyl printing from some of them. They make great building "carcasses", being (usually) 60 mil or better. They are also good for painting, as six months on the side of a bus makes sure there is no shiny-ness left... Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Gary S Wrote:Do you have any product numbers on the larger sheets?

Yeah silly me I was going to include the numbers and well you know Wallbang

OK numbers for Evergreen 12" x 24" Board and Batten .125" Spacing Item No. 14544 single sheet pack

Evergreen 12" x 24" Plain .060" Thick Dealer 4 Pack Item No. 19060.

Mark