My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout
I remember fretting over "historical accuracy " when I was seriously into my old steel mill layout . The late , great , Dean Freytag listened to my concerns at a steel modelers convention in Philly back in '05 . Dean reminded me of his own situation when a curious onlooker asked about a particular Freytag creation ........

" What is the correct function of all the pipes on that steel mill ? "

------ " Damned if I know , says Dean , but they sure look good , don't they "? Goldth Case closed .

Nice looking layout !!

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Gerd I took my laptop with me to show him and he said that's not woodchips and that's not a woodchip car, to which I said really? Icon_lol Looks like woodchips and a woodchip car to me. He said it's sawdust from the sawmill in Robbinsville. They would have to shovel it up by hand into wheelbarrows roll it outside and dump it onto a portable conveyor to get it into the car. They would ship out about 6-12 cars per year ( a real money maker there Eek ) . The car he said is a regular hopper ( probably with with extensions) and only hauls about 2/3th's of what a regular woodchip car holds. To me it looks close enough to woodchips and a woodchip car to work for me. Thumbsup I have always liked the looks of woodchip loads but being as I live here and a lot of the people that see my layout live here as well and would be quick to point out the error of my ways if woodchip loads started showing up on my rails that I don't have any. But thanks to this new piece of information when the GCRR comes to town it can now include a load of sawdust in a regular hopper from time to time. And in N scale the difference between sawdust and woodchips is probably not noticable to the naked eye anyway. At least that's MY story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for adding a new source of revenue to the Nantahala Midland's bottom line. Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
teejay Wrote:" What is the correct function of all the pipes on that steel mill ? "
------ " Damned if I know , says Dean , but they sure look good , don't they "? T

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

I do have to remember that 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
teejay Wrote:I remember fretting over "historical accuracy " when I was seriously into my old steel mill layout . The late , great , Dean Freytag listened to my concerns at a steel modelers convention in Philly back in '05 . Dean reminded me of his own situation when a curious onlooker asked about a particular Freytag creation ........

" What is the correct function of all the pipes on that steel mill ? "

------ " Damned if I know , says Dean , but they sure look good , don't they "? Goldth Case closed .

Nice looking layout !!

T

"That there is funny...I don't care who you are."
Larry the Cable Guy
Hello,

Now we all know a little bit more about the GCRR sawmill service to Robbinsville.
Thanks for the new details.

Bye, Gerd
Hello,

again there are several weeks since my last post I just wanted to show you some photos of the final layout. So the last couple days, I made an update to my website with new photos of the GCRR division, now with temporary backdrops. I'll make a set of backdrops for the GCRR divison but I'll use them only on shows, not at home.

So here's another overview of my train room with the Southern main line along the wall, and the GCRR divison leading into the room. Click on the thumb for a larger view.
[Image: Titel_6i.jpg]

At least, here're some photos of Robbinsville in its final stage.

The Bemis Lumber Co. lumber stack yard.
[Image: RV_5.jpg]

[Image: RV_3.jpg]

Engine service facility and fuel dealer.
[Image: RV_2.jpg]

More photos are shown/added at my website
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de/SOU/Haupt_e.htm">http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de/SOU/Haupt_e.htm</a><!-- m -->

A video of some GCRR operation will come tomorrow when I got it finally uploaded to YouTube.

Bye, Gerd
Very nice Gerd, that's an impressive amount of lumber you have stacked there!
Mike

Thanks Mike,

now you can watch the Shay in some moving pictures too.
I've still some trouble with a few of that *censored* Atlas switches... I hope to get it fixed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/eB7h4Rf9Ims">http://youtu.be/eB7h4Rf9Ims</a><!-- m -->

Bye, Gerd
Good morning,

got to new locos for my layout last week.

First is another Shay for the GCRR with number 1923. The GCRR Shays were numbered by their build date.
I added a new roof sheet and converted the loco to a coal burner with a diamond stack.
[Image: 1923.jpg]

The second loco is a LifeLike RS2 in green. These engines will be colorfull spots in the fleet of black painted locos on my layout.
[Image: RS2.jpg]

And there's a new cabosse, got her from a friend as a gift.
[Image: Caboose_8.jpg]

I also did a short operation session, but I didn't hat the camera on hand...

Cheers, Gerd
Nice additions to your fleet!
Mike

Waldbahner Wrote:Thanks Mike,

now you can watch the Shay in some moving pictures too.
I've still some trouble with a few of that *censored* Atlas switches... I hope to get it fixed.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/eB7h4Rf9Ims">http://youtu.be/eB7h4Rf9Ims</a><!-- m -->

Bye, Gerd

The only fix for those *#*# Atlas switches is to replace them. I tore several of them out of my yard and replaced them with Peco's...Problem solved...

That Shay is a thing of beauty...!!
Gus (LC&P).
Quote:The only fix for those *#*# Atlas switches is to replace them. I tore several of them out of my yard and replaced them with Peco's...Problem solved...

Interesting ,I replaced my Pecos with ATLAS because the Pecos were such a PITA.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Interesting ,I replaced my ATLAS with Pecos because the ATLAS were such a PITA.
What kinda problems did you have with the Pecos Catt ?
Mike

Catt wrote:
"Interesting ,I replaced my Pecos with ATLAS because the Pecos were such a PITA."

Hmmm...Out of 20+ Peco turnouts on my layout, I've had to "fiddle" with only one. Goldth
Gus (LC&P).