My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout
Hello again,

I just digged out this thread to show you the new progress on my home layout. Due to some special reassons, I'll rebuild the old GC interchange into a spur track to a quarry chute and I started a new GC juncion module.

[Image: Kasten_1i.jpg] [Image: Kasten_2i.jpg] [Image: Kasten_4i.jpg]
Click on thumbs for large pictures.

Next I'll lay tracks and install the turnout mechanism.

Cheers, Gerd
Tracks and turnout control are installed. Next I'll add electric stuff and basic hill structure.

[Image: Gleise_1i.jpg] [Image: Gleise_2i.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd
I did some more progress on my new module. The tracks are ballasted and I covered the ground with fine Woodland turf. Next I'll start vegetation and Details stuff. There are no structures on this module.

[Image: Land_1i.jpg]
Click thumb to enlarge.

I hope to get some more work done during this week.

Cheers, Gerd
Hello,

finally, I got all kinds of trees that I needed to start with the scenery on this new module. I did some good progress yesterday and may finish the module today.

[Image: Wald_1i.jpg] [Image: Wald_3i.jpg]

Once this module is done, I'll take a break on my N-scale layout for a few month. During the winter time, I'll work on my big live steam Shay and some other small projects.

Cheers, Gerd
Looking good Gerd!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
This is a good layout project Gerd, small but realistic and innovative with the traverser...something not usually found on USA layouts.

Thanks, for sharing your progress.

Barry
Good morning,

many thanks guys.

Yesterday, I set the last trees and bushes on this module. Next I've to paint the module sides and maybe I'll place an abandoned wooden shed on the hill in front of the track. But I'm not sure with this one.

@Barry: Meanwhile, the over all track plan has changed, but the basics are the same as shown in the first post in this thread. I kicked out the grade on the GCRR and will lay all tracks on level. Stephan also designed a new track plan for Robbinsville with some good ideas and I love the new version.

The SOU-part of my modular layout will be extended by a 75° curve with 31.5" radius. Once this section is build, the SOU-part is finished. I'll then start with the GCRR modules. There are 4-5 modules to build : Interchange Yard / Mainline / Robbinsville / 1-2 curved modules. But construction on the GCRR division will start next year, as I'll make progress on my big Shay during the winter time.

So, I guess I'll post new photos this weekend, of the new module in service.

Cheers, Gerd
Gerd:

Looking forward to seeing the new plan as I recall seeing the original plan of the railroad in Trains
magazine when I was a kid. Quite an article and you're going to have quite the nice layout.
You folks in other countries seem to build better, more detailed layouts, in less space than we, here
in the states who generally have a lot more space.

Keep up the good work.

Barry
Hello guys,

the module is done and I look forward to operate it for the first time next weekend.

[Image: Wald_4i.jpg] [Image: Wald_5i.jpg]

Space in the states seems to be no problem as I mentioned during my vacations over there. The following photo shows my layout as it is at the moment (with the new GC junction module still undecorated.

[Image: Kasten_5i.jpg]

The whole layout is 14 ft long. I'll add a curved section between Topton station and Nantahala Quarry later to get an L-shaped layout. For the GCRR, I'll start with a simple interchange yard with a run around spur, followed by a main line module. The new freelanced trackplan for Robbinsville is shown below.

[Image: Robbin_2.jpg]

I've a guest room at home and my plan is to build a shelf along one wall where the L-shaped SOU-layout is set up on one level. On a second level above, I'll place the GCRR-Layout. There will be no connection between this layouts in my home set up. If you like, you can move the cars from the GC Junction by hand to the upper level and reverse. For special operation sessions, I'll connect the GCRR-modules to the SOU-layout on the lower level, but in this set up, the room is totally blocked for other use.

Cheers, Gerd
Very nice Gerd, are you going to add backdrops at a later date?
Mike

Hi Mike,

yes, I'll add backdrops. I already bought some boards for the backdrops, but I'm not sure how to paint them, so I didn't start until yet.

Bye, Gerd
Hello,

after a break, I'm back on my Southern & Graham County layout.
In mid March, I'll show my layout on a model train show and I'll try to get Robbinsville added to show some action behind the junction.
The track plan for Robbinsville was shown in one of my last posts above and I just ordered laser kits for the freight depot and engine shed. I also bought the turnouts some month ago and I look forward to get the modules started in mid January. Beside Robbinsville, I'll build a short curved module called "The Gap" to be placed between the junction and Robbinsville.

Cheers, Gerd
Glad to hear you are still working on this Gerd, I was worried you had moved on to something else.
Mike

Hello guys,

I just started with my new hobby room!!!

In January 2012, I got my own room for my N-scale model trains. That was the big news I mentioned before, but I didn't find the time to clean up the room and get some photos done, due to many other problems I had. But yesterday, I started with the first benchwork to set up my 3.6m long Southern layout, set up with "Topton", "Nantahala Valley" and "Fiddle Yard".

Once this first part is done, I like to extend the layout to an L-shape be adding the new "Graham County Interchange" and a curved module that has to be build.

Here are the first two pictures, showing the benchwork in progress.
The first one shows the beginning with 4 uprights, mounted to the wall.
The second one shows two legs done, while the other two will be added this evening.

[Image: super_1i.jpg] [Image: super_2i.jpg]
Click on thumbs to enlarge.

I'll spend some more time this evening to get more progress done. So stay tuned for updates.

Cheers, Gerd
Looks like a great space!
Mike