EFfingham RailRoad
Mr Fixit Wrote:Middle America in addition to being the food bowl is also sometimes referred to as the 'Bible Belt'.
Mark
And I will add - the HEART and BEST part of the U.S. too! Cheers

faraway Wrote:Sorry for the question may be it is very famous to all US citizens and needs no explanation for you.
Can't say that the cross is famous to all U.S. citizens by any means. Folks that I sent copies of that photo to in my area had never seen or heard of it. But it is something to see!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I am just wondering when those fields of delicious corn will be ready for harvest?

Being from the Southern Hemisphere my weather is six months ahead or behind Effingham, so things get a little confusing.

Do you have any idea how confusing it was as an Aussie kid to grow up listening to Bing Crosby crooning about a White Christmas and having a hot Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings when the weather is sometimes headed for 40 deg. C or 100 deg F in the old scale. 35 Sums it up pretty well. Mind you other Christmas's Melbourne would throw on a cold snap with pouring rain and you could be searching for a nice thick jumper and long pants. But thats Melbourne for you 4 seasons in one day. Icon_lol

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:I am just wondering when those fields of delicious corn will be ready for harvest?
Mark
Generally, corn harvesting starts in October and goes through November. Soybean harvesting should begin in September. In the midwest, we generally have two crops of wheat each year: Spring Wheat planted from April-May and harvested mid-August through mid-September. Winter Wheat: planted mid-August through October and harvested mid-May through mid-July.
Ed
I picked up my subscription copy of October TRAINS magazine from my post box on Monday and what do I find to my surprise?

Fred Frailey has written about the Effingham Railroad in 'Meet the best little railroad in Effingham', complete with a photo of EFRR 2716, and its all there in black and white on page 12. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_

train train train train train train train train train train

Mark
For those that don't get Trains mag - here's the link to the article about the EFRR:
http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/blogs/fred-fr...ngham.aspx
Nice little story.
Ed
Yes it is a nice little story although it should be noted that the article in TRAINS has been re-written and only a photo of EFRR 2716 is included but not ILW 7570.

Mark
Mark;

Stopped by the EFRR on the way home yesterday (Jan 5, 2012) from photographing and mapping out another small industrial operation and caught them working the TQW warehouse. Got you a much better photo of EFRR 2716 in its CGW paint scheme and in good light (late afternoon):     On arrival, there was a loaded box car sitting outside the TQW warehouse on the north side and 2716 was sitting outside idling on the south side. There was one box car in the warehouse that was being unloaded at that time.

Shortly after I shot some photos of 2716, that car was unloaded, and the one man crew using his remote control, moved 2716 in to the warehouse, coupled to the empty box and shoved to the north end to get the other load. Pulled it down and spotted it in the warehouse for unloading. After that the trainman, climbed in the cab, tied down the engine hand brake and left his controller and safety vest in the cab and went back in the warehouse to wait for the car to be unloaded.

All that is just to explain what is happening in this short video that I made of 2716 positioning the second load in the warehouse: http://youtu.be/T7AN15XLyOo. Sorry that I couldn't wait around to try and get more photos or another video of the empty cars being taken back to the CSX connection, but would have been much later and the light would be bad.

There were no cars spotted at any of the other industries nor were there any on the CN/IC end of the EFRR Thursday. Also no cars sitting on the storage tracks either. Looked like all the activity was strictly at the TQW warehouse and there were several 50ft box cars sitting on the CSX end of the line. Don't know for sure what was being unloaded from the box cars.

Must say that I rather like this one man remote control operation. Makes you think of operating your switching layout, but on a much larger scale.

Hope you find this update of interest.
Ed
Why thank you Ed for taking the time to drop by the EFRR and take some photos and a short video. A very pleasant surprise indeed. No snow on the ground in January?
Mark
Mr Fixit Wrote:No snow on the ground in January?Mark
Nope - no snow! Was a beautiful day with temperature about 62 degrees F. Made for a nice trip.
Ed