A House for San Berdoo ... but first, The Garage
Glad to see you working on the garage again. So how much overhang does the roof have? Not sure about California, but here, an 18" to 24" overhang is common.

I'm with you on the movies, I might see one a year. Two reasons, my money is reserved for things I deem more important, and, I conciously choose to not support entertainers who cannot realize they are entertainers, not social engineers.

Heck, I suppose a third reason is that my limited leisure time is spent in the layout room.

Looking forward to more pics of the progress. Thumbsup
Gary S Wrote:... my money is reserved for things I deem more important, and, I consciously choose to not support entertainers who cannot realize they are entertainers, not social engineers. ...
... or somehow more intelligent than anyone else ...
... or to bad-mouth the Capitalist System after using it to make multi-millions for themselves,
but then don't feel it neccesary to practice what they preach and redistribute that wealth
amongst "those less fortunate!" Big Grin

AHEM! Back to the topic of the thread ...

The soffit overhang scales out at about three feet ... the thing looks like it could fly given a headwind! Whatever ... it'll get a new roof! This structure (pair of structures) will be two of the six scratch-built ones I will need for my NMRA "Master Builder: Structures" Achievement Award. As such, I want it to be the best it can be and garner the most points possible when it is judged!

I figured that since I've volunteered to do a couple of these San Bernardino houses (with garages,) I may as well throw in a half dozen of the kit-bashed and "extra-detailed" structures, including a short, curved "super-detailed" Campbell trestle that I've got wrapped in tissue paper and packed in styro peanuts that I spent hours and hours on back in the '80's, put them with these new, scratch-built guys and get a little something out of the NMRA membership to hang on the "train room" wall!

The Scale Rails club is a 100% NMRA club and everyone is pretty involved somehow, giving clinics at Regional and Divisional Meets, holding Regional or Divisional office, and/or working on the Achievement Award Program, so I may as well join the fun! When you think about it, it would be pretty stupid to do all this work, have an opportunity to reap some benefit of doing the work and then not take advantage of that opportunity, wouldn't it? [My Grandfather and my Father both impressed upon us as young kids the importance of seizing opportunity when it presented itself, as the circumstances for doing so may only present themselves once in a lifetime.]
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
biL, I agree, if I was in an active club that held NMRA events and such, I'd also go for the awards. You've already won the Gary S. Achievement Award for Meticulous Attention to Construction Technique! Smile

I'm wishing you all the best in achieving your goals! Thumbsup
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary S Wrote:Glad to see you working on the garage again. So how much overhang does the roof have? Not sure about California, but here, an 18" to 24" overhang is common.

I'm with you on the movies, I might see one a year. Two reasons, my money is reserved for things I deem more important, and, I conciously choose to not support entertainers who cannot realize they are entertainers, not social engineers.

Heck, I suppose a third reason is that my limited leisure time is spent in the layout room.

Looking forward to more pics of the progress. Thumbsup

I just took a look at the overhang on my house built in L.A. county in 1954 and remodeled 4 years ago. The overhang varies from 12 inches to about 6inches on various sides. I thought maybe the code had changed but find the same variation in the old construction as the new.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:... I just took a look at the overhang on my house built in L.A. county in 1954 and remodeled 4 years ago. The overhang varies from 12 inches to about 6 inches on various sides. I thought maybe the code had changed but find the same variation in the old construction as the new.

Thank, Russ!

I just got back from an operation session at the club (... today I ran Train #111 from San Bernardino to Victorville which is then Train #110 for the the return trip. Switching an express reefer off and another on the train, spotting the reefer at the ice house during the stopover at Victorville. That added some interest to the run, as did "taking the siding" a couple times in each direction for a Class 1 train including letting The Super Chief pass by me on my return trip East.)

While I was there, I measured the overhang of a couple of the already-completed houses and found them to scale out at between 9" and 14". I also scrutinized the construction method used by the builder (the "father" of San Bernardino on this layout ... he built the Depot.)
What I discovered was that I had approached the construction from the wrong perspective from the very beginning! :oops: 35 Wallbang

So, O.K., I've learned a valuable lesson the hard way ... by having to build a "difficult" roof again. But having learned the lesson, I'll never make that same mistake again.

Thanks for doing a little empirical research, Russ! I appreciate it! I'll take on building the new roof after I finish the house, which is well under way ... only one more window opening to file out for a "slip fit." [The filing-and-fitting" photos will hopefully demonstrate (to Jens, along with others) why I was using a couple "fine cut" jewelers' files on styrene. The windows are a "slip-fit" ... take off to much (which I did a couple of times) then involves bonding a "shim" into the "breach" and after waiting for the solvent-softened styrene to harden, then more filing, one or two strokes and then a test fit, two more strokes, test fit ... until the window just fits in the hole with no light visible around the edges! DONE!!

I'll begin cropping and resizing and then posting photos up to Photobook tonight.
biL