A few photos from a recent train trip...
I had to go down to Lowbanks last week and, after arriving at the Dunnville station almost an hour before train time, decided to take a stroll through the nearby industrial fringe of town. I'm always on the lookout for previously unseen freight cars that might make suitable modelling projects, so had my camera in-hand.

Just off Walnut St., I found this Soo Line boxcar spotted at Bertram's Machine Works:
[Image: Somefreshphotos002.jpg]

After a short stroll through the yard of the Walnut Street Freight Terminal (team track), I happened upon this somewhat battered Lehigh Valley gondola:
[Image: Somefreshphotos001.jpg]

With permission from the on-duty agent (a long-time family friend), I was able to get another shot from atop the yard's idle crane. I was hoping to see the cargo that created those bulging carsides, but she was empty:
[Image: Somefreshphotos008.jpg]

By now, it was getting close to my departure time, so I hustled back towards the station. As I was nearing the street, I grabbed this shot of a spiffy-looking moving van at the crossing. I don't know how I'll model this, but the photo makes a nice addition to my album:
[Image: Movingvan04.jpg]

The trip to Lowbanks, on the "Bee" was uneventful. I had heard rumours of the possibility of one of those new diesels being in town for road trials (apparently bound for a line in the Ottawa, Ontario area) but there was no sight of it. With nothing but the usual steamers in attendance, I decided to not waste any more precious film.
After completing my business in town, I again arrived early at the station for my return trip to Dunnville and decided to drop by to see my cousin at the carshop, and to see if there was any word on that diesel. While my cousin wasn't around (down at the engine shop cleaning parts, I was told) I did learn that the diesel had been through earlier in the day and that it would be around for a few more days before heading off to its new home. Drat! Just my luck to have missed it. Wallbang
I did find some consolation, though, in this somewhat unique car spotted just outside the shop. (Evidently, it developed a hotbox on the trip from the TH&B interchange, and was set-out here for repairs.) I was told that it's a covered hopper used for carrying carbon black (I wasn't aware that carbon came in any colour other than black Misngth ), used for all sorts of things, from tires to printer's ink. I thought the dapper-looking paint job merited a photo, though, so used the last frame on the roll to capture this image:
[Image: Somefreshphotos009.jpg]

The trip home was uneventful until we reached South Cayuga. There, while passengers boarded or de-trained, I got off for a short stroll along the platform to watch the baggage men struggling with some lcl. As I watched, I heard an approaching train blow for the nearby crossing: bla-a-a-t! bla-a-a-t! blat! bla-a-a-t! Eek The diesel! :o With no film left, I could only watch in admiration as she crawled by. Gosh, what a beauty! I made up my mind to get back here while she was still around, and to bring plenty of film, too. I'll post some pictures here when (and if) I get 'em.

Wayne

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The cars shown above are recently completed, with the Soo "sawtooth" boxcar a resin kit from Speedwitch Media. With a one-piece body casting, it was an easy build of a long-desired model. Everything was included except couplers, and there were lettering options covering the cars' entire lifespan.

The LV gondola is a Proto2000 car, picked up "used" at the LHS. It was missing some of the underbody detail, had no grabirons or sill steps, no handbrake, and a poorly-done attempt at a D&H re-lettering job over the factory-applied Pere Marquette scheme. Still, with Kadee sprung trucks (set aside for another project) and scale couplers, it was a bargain at $4.00. After removing all of the lettering, I replaced the missing steps and grabs with metal parts, added a brake wheel from my parts box and decided to paint it boxcar red, which is a better colour than black for showing weathering. I added the lettering, from Champ, then added the distressed effect to the sides. This was done with a 200 watt soldering iron, with the tip brought close to the inside of the car's side. After a few seconds, the handle of an X-Acto was used to push the softened plastic outwards. It took only a few minutes, working between the car's ribs, to complete the effect. After this, the car was given a wash of dilute India ink, followed by some airbrushed Dullcote, then some brushed-on pastel weathering, then an application of airbrushed dirt. Then, the car(s) were all repainted with fresh paint patches for application of the re-weigh and re-pack data, followed by more Dullcote.

The carbon black hopper is a craftsman-type styrene kit from The Rail Shop. A flat kit, it consists of separate sides, ends, roof and underbody, with added details. Grabirons are hand-formed from stainless steel wire (furnished with the kit), and there's a reasonably complete version of the brake detail at the car's "B" end. Trucks, included with the kit, are from Accurail, and the lettering is very nicely-done decals, also included. Assembly offers the choice of two different truck-mounting bolsters, a regular one and an alternative with scale-width coupler pockets, the version used here. A nice kit of an unusual prototype.
I really like the soo line box car. Cheers
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Sounds like a really swell afternoon, there, doctorwayne. It's really too bad that you missed getting a snap shot of that new fangled diesel-engine-powered locomotive. I recently heard this young fella in the barbershop predicting that these new shiny, streamlined diesel-engine-powered locomotives will someday replace steam locomotives as the predominate source of motive power on the railroads of North America. What a fool! I think he may have spent some time over at Beurghmaier's Tap Room prior to arriving at the barber shop. Just imagine! How could that ever happen?! The thought is pure ridiculousness!

At any rate, you did manage, as you so often do, to get a few very fine snapshots of some interesting rolling stock, which should be fine subjects for a couple modeling projects over the next winter’s cold nights. And you know … I’ll just bet that if you decided to put your mind to it, you could probably manage to build a reasonable facsimile of that moving van! I have every confidence.

I do hope the opportunity presents itself for you to catch that new-fangled diesel-powered streamliner on film before it leaves the area … I’ll bet it’s a sight to behold. I look forward to seeing pictures of it.

Sent from the States with my best regards,

Your friend,

William
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Doctor Wayne---can I bribe you with a bottle of Bushmills to take me along on one of your walking tours Cheers ---I'll bring lots of film in case that diesel happens to show up,if not we always seem to have some luck catching some Canadian National steamers
Hallo Doc Wayne,

the SOO boxcar is a very good and realistic model however the LV gondola is excellent! Not only the aging and weathering are very fine realizitaions of a long time used car, the old load restovers are the dot on the "I".
Very, very good and extrem realistic! I would like to own these experience doing similar projects using plastic models.
I know that you all loud my scratchbuild projects - however this are other and very different job, making a single car extrem realistic looking. Congratulation !!!!!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Thanks for the kind words, folks. Goldth

I neglected to comment on the moving van, which started life as a military truck. I removed the military-style body and replaced it with a scratchbuilt van body on an extended chassis. The door hardware is from a Grandt Line detail set for a wood reefer, and the mirrors are left-overs from a Sylvan truck kit. Lettering was done with dry transfers, the striping with Champ decals. Looking at the photo, I realised that I forgot to add licence plates. 35
Here's the moving van under construction:
[Image: Somevehicles002.jpg]

Wayne
Great photos! Love the Soo boxcar and the moving truck. You are an excellent modeler, Doctorwayne. I have enjoyed looking at your photos and am inspired to get off my duff and get some modeling done....<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=35&t=4086#">posting.php?mode=reply&f=35&t=4086#</a><!-- l -->
Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.
Excellent work and photos, as usual. Looks like the carbon black car also got shoved off the rails there while the RIP track crew fixed the hotbox Goldth

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
rrinker Wrote:.... Looks like the carbon black car also got shoved off the rails there while the RIP track crew fixed the hotbox Goldth

--Randy

You had me worried there for a second, Randy, as I've had that problem before, but, no, all the wheels are still on the rails. The one on the left, though, does appear to be off, but it's not - I just checked in person.

Here's one that I posted in several places, not noticing until much later (months) Wallbang Misngth that a major derailment was imminent:
[Image: BeegBoy129.jpg]

Wayne
Great pics and story Wayne!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Terrific cars and nice pics Wayne! I especially like the Continental covered hopper. Nice work on that van too! It was cool to see it in pieces prior to assembly.
Ralph
Oh, NO!

... The BEEG Boy is on the ground!!!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Nice story and photos, docWayne. I especially like the moving van, and your kitbashing. Good stuff!
Doc---any updates on that elusive diesel :hey:
cn nutbar Wrote:Doc---any updates on that elusive diesel :hey:

Click here -> <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2053&p=71064#p71064">viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2053&p=71064#p71064</a><!-- l --> for an announcement and some pictures of the missing engine...

Andrew